Search

.com Forum · Herding Breeds

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Info on Collies please.
 Snow Country
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/18/2006 11:24:07 AM reply with quote send message to Snow Country Object to Post   

I read that someone wanted to know about the life with border collies, I want to know about collies. I am in love with the breed and I am hoping to get one!

1) I have read that they dont need much exercise though they are a herding breed. Is that true?

That is my main question...
So if anyone could answer it that would be great!
 Rip Tyde
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 3:16:44 PM reply with quote send message to Rip Tyde Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I do not own Collies, but know for a fact that is not true.

Whom ever told you that is wrong, as all herding breeds are bred the herd stalk and sheep. While herding they dont walk, they run. They need tons of excersize, probably about 2 walks a day and a few good runs in the field here and there daily.

April

{i]*Edited becuase I said I didnt own any Border Collies in stead of Collies, not very truelaugh :D*
 old folks home
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 4:06:23 PM reply with quote send message to old folks home Object to Post

o.O who on earth told you border collies dont need much excersize?!

wow. I dont know what to say to that LOL

Anyways, I compare young border collies to natural disasters. You sit, cry, pull your hair out, wonder why you got one, then one day realize they're perfect lmao.

they do need alot of attention, alot of excersize and some people find they're too much to handle, which are why so many end up in rescue.

Rip Tyde
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 4:37:17 PM reply with quote send message to Rip Tyde Object to Post

posted by old folks home
o.O who on earth told you border collies dont need much excersize?!

wow. I dont know what to say to that LOL

Anyways, I compare young border collies to natural disasters. You sit, cry, pull your hair out, wonder why you got one, then one day realize they're perfect lmao.

they do need alot of attention, alot of excersize and some people find they're too much to handle, which are why so many end up in rescue.

I believe Snow was asking about Collies, and made the remark about not much excersize about Collies..

But you're right, You do wonder why you got one, but after the first you know how to handle them and cant stop getting themlaugh :D

People often get them just for pets and don't excersize them, then they become too much to handle. So basically people shouldnt get them unless they will excersize and train them.

April

Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 4:38:00 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

She's asking about collies, not border collies.
I'm pretty sure that collies are not as hyper as border collies. Tradewind has a collie, you may want to contact her.

~Anna
 Rip Tyde
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 4:40:31 PM reply with quote send message to Rip Tyde Object to Post

posted by Templar Knights
I'm pretty sure that collies are not as hyper as border collies. Tradewind has a collie, you may want to contact her.

~Anna

No Collies arent always quite as hyper as Border Collies, but we must keep in mind not all Border Collies are hyper. 2 of my BC's aren't hyper at all, but still are as fast and as smart as any normal Border Collie. I have also seen my share of hyper Collies, as all Collies, including Borders, are prone to hyperness, but dont always stick to it.

April
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 4:47:28 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

I've worked with a great deal of Collies over the years, and they're not as demanding as Border Collies for exercise, but they're also not couch potatoes either. Some tend to bark a lot, especially when left alone. The rough collie needs a devoted owner who will comb/brush them often, otherwise the coat will become a matted mess- especially on the rear and behind the ears. I've seen numerous Collies come in with stools matted into the fur on the rear because the owners "didn't realize" the hair gets matted back there.

Some of them can be very stubborn, and I've noticed that a lot of the younger ones don't have a good attention span... but that's with a lot of young dogs.

Even though they're generally a very friendly breed, socialization is still important. Collies love people, and crave attention.
 Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 4:48:02 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

posted by Rip Tyde
posted by Templar Knights

~Anna

No Collies arent always quite as hyper as Border Collies, but we must keep in mind not all Border Collies are hyper. 2 of my BC's aren't hyper at all, but still are as fast and as smart as any normal Border Collie. I have also seen my share of hyper Collies, as all Collies, including Borders, are prone to hyperness, but dont always stick to it.

April

I am soooo glad I own a lazy saint! :P

old folks home
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 5:19:23 PM reply with quote send message to old folks home Object to Post

oh wow, I did misread the first line! *blames it on lack of sleep*

"I wanted to know about the life with border collies" then followed with:

"I do not own Border Collies, but know for a fact that is not true."

*grins and giggles* please forgive my lack of reading skills!
 Rip Tyde
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 5:35:21 PM reply with quote send message to Rip Tyde Object to Post

I mist typed Old Folks, I said I didn't own BC's, but I was trying to type Collies, but had Border Collies on my brain so thats what my fingers typed.

But Snow said there was someone wanting to know about life with Border Collis, then she wanted to know about life with Collies.

April
 old folks home
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2006 5:46:20 PM reply with quote send message to old folks home Object to Post

oh I know, but thats what had registered when I was typing. LOL. Lack of sleep is a horrible thing laugh :D

edited to fix typos!
 Earnings
Basic User

Basic User
8/28/2006 9:17:44 PM reply with quote send message to Earnings Object to Post

border collies are the best i have three and 8 new borns!
 CamelioDelta
Basic User

Basic User
8/31/2006 7:41:42 PM reply with quote send message to CamelioDelta Object to Post

I have a collie, and she is actually quite lazy. She tends to bark at non-existent things sometimes, but she is a wonderful dog. It really depends on the dog's personality if they are more hyper or if they are lazier. Mine tends to be lazier, though she loves a good walk, but tires easily.
 jollymolly
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2006 12:00:00 PM reply with quote send message to jollymolly Object to Post

They need quite a lot actually. Mostly to keep them entertained and so they don't get overwieght and u will definately need to excercise them regularly 2 keep them fit for shows. Sometimes it depends on the
personalety of the dog and what u want 2 do with it. hope that helps! jollymolly
 JoeNJackies
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2006 1:28:53 PM reply with quote send message to JoeNJackies Object to Post

In addition to what Jollymolly said, they need to be entertained not just so that they dont get over weight, but so that they don't "entertain" themselves, which undoubtly= destruction of some sort. That can be true for any breed, but breeds that are bred to be active and do some sort of job have the drive to "do something" so they are more likely to get bored by mundane things like laying around a house all day. Long walks help to curb their energy so they are less likely to wreak havock in the household. It's just like 5 year olds. Let them run around a bit outside or for a recess or something and when they come back in they are much more tired and less likely to be running around causing trouble inside razz :p

-Jackie
 Toller Lover
Basic User

Basic User
11/17/2006 6:42:26 PM reply with quote send message to Toller Lover Object to Post

posted by Rip Tyde
I do not own Collies, but know for a fact that is not true.

Whom ever told you that is wrong, as all herding breeds are bred the herd stalk and sheep. While herding they dont walk, they run. They need tons of excersize, probably about 2 walks a day and a few good runs in the field here and there daily.

April

{i]*Edited becuase I said I didnt own any Collie">Border Collies in stead of Collies, not very truelaugh :D*

YOU MUST PLAY WITH A BORDER COLLIE A LOT EVERY DAY IF NOT YOU WILL HAVE A VERY MESSY HOUSE BECUASE THEY WIL DUE ANYTHING TO HAVE SO FUN
 Pick a Pet
Basic User

Basic User
12/14/2006 2:16:26 PM reply with quote send message to Pick a Pet Object to Post

Collies need lots of exersize, my good friend has one and takes her on a walk every day. Collies are VERY smart(almost too smart) and are very lovable, i would highly suggest a collie.

my friends collie Bindi

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.