Search

.com Forum · Canadian Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : I have a question!
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/6/2006 10:01:04 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I am more familiar with American shows. Today when I wennt on a sight, it had video clips of the Non-Sporting Group. I just want to make sure. Is it that the Shih Tzu who in America is shown in the Toy Group shown in the Non-Sporting Group in Canada?
 emin3mspaz9
Basic User

Basic User
9/6/2006 10:02:15 PM reply with quote send message to emin3mspaz9 Object to Post

That's a very interesting question. Bump so I can figure out the answer too!

Spazzy
 El Loco Lobos
Basic User

Basic User
9/8/2006 9:44:41 AM reply with quote send message to El Loco Lobos Object to Post

I just had a look at the CKC website and the Shih Tzu is listed in the non-sporting group, not the toy group.

Edited because its too early in the morning here. happy :)
 El Loco Lobos
Basic User

Basic User
9/8/2006 9:45:19 AM reply with quote send message to El Loco Lobos Object to Post

Sorry about the double post.
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
9/9/2006 6:34:31 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

It makes me wonder how can the Shih tzu be in the Non-Sporting group when I studied on its background that it was a small companion in it's day.

I know nothing of any other purpose that the breed was used for that it no longers serves to be placed in the Non-Sporting Group as the group was a class to place dogs that had a function that it no longers serves.

Another thing is that it wasn't like the Chow Chow that its function was used for say a guard dog and seeiing that now it doesn't seems intimidating as the Doberman or Rottweiler, that over time those breeds had more fame in the "working feild". Or say the Bichon Frise that was a small companion, but wasn't small enough to be classed as a Toy.

Do any of you have any input on this that why this maybe?
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
9/9/2006 6:43:13 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

That is very strange. Everything I have ever read on Shih-Tzu's state that they were always a companion dog. hmmm maybe they're not suitable for that anymore? lol It's very strange indeed.

Edited to add:
I just checked the ckc website, and on the shih-tzu profile it states " It was originally bred to be a companion and that remains its sole purpose today."
 Trident
Basic User

Basic User
9/9/2006 7:48:53 PM reply with quote send message to Trident Object to Post

I always thought the non sporting group was for dogs with no real purpose or relation to breeds in other groups. (No offense but being bred to be a companion or run beside a carriage aren't really purposes to me and then you have dogs like the poodle that don't look like they belong in any group so they just toss them in the non-sporting). I know this isn't correct but just what I always went by lol! happy :)
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
9/11/2006 6:30:19 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

posted by Shybade
I just checked the ckc website, and on the shih-tzu profile it states " It was originally bred to be a companion and that remains its sole purpose today."
See,.... so it isn't like the Bichon Frise that is to big to be classed as a Toy as it is smaller that the Pug which is the largest toy in the group.

posted by Trident
I always thought the non sporting group was for dogs with no real purpose or relation to breeds in other groups. (No offense but being bred to be a companion or run beside a carriage aren't really purposes to me and then you have dogs like the poodle that don't look like they belong in any group so they just toss them in the non-sporting). I know this isn't correct but just what I always went by lol! happy :)
Nah it wasn't. It was for dogs that originally had a purpose, but today no longer carryies the purpose today. Only one dog was bred that had no purpose and that was the Keeshond, however later it did one or two things though.No offense taken on my part, but if you mean by running along a carriage, do you mean the Dalamtion"? Well it had alot more purpose than that, but suprisingliy that is what it is most famously for. It was an all purpose dog in its day from guard, ratting and all that working dog stuff. Okay the Poodle wasn't placed in the Non-Sporting group because of it it. It was placed in it because people thought that the breed was too cute to go in to bush and wet marsh to retreive fowl game.
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
9/13/2006 8:18:30 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

Well I found out why. umlike the America, Canada allows for a larger size variation. Taking them out of the Toy category.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.