Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : genetic quality/SOP/
 WillowRidge
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
8/18/2020 4:58:38 PM reply with quote send message to WillowRidge Object to Post   

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

So when you are looking at pups that you want to show/breed; in their genetic quality how important is show shine? If all other genetics are in the high 9's and show quality is in the 17-19.5 range would you keep that pup over one that has eight genetic traits that are in the 9's, one that is 10.3 (or maybe one in say 8.9) and show shine of 20?

I realize that the importance of genetic traits is based on the breed and the 10.3 I mentioned above is in a trait that has high importance in my breed

I'm leaning toward keeping the 9's with lower show shine but don't really know how important show shine really is.

-----
Last edited by WillowRidge on 8/18/2020 4:59:10 PM

-----
Last edited by WillowRidge on 8/18/2020 4:59:51 PM
 CzarinaKennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/18/2020 5:21:17 PM reply with quote send message to CzarinaKennels Object to Post

Show shine is relatively important, but I’ve still had dogs with 19.4+ show shine do well in the ring and finish.
I do tend to keep a lower show shine dog with higher other traits for breeding though, as show shine is one of the easier traits to bring up and the quality of the other traits can produce some good pups in the future. If you want to find the “adjusted” show shine you can take the show shine, minus it from 20. Then take that number, divide it by two and add it to the SOP.
For example a dog with a 18 show shine and 98.00 sop would have a “adjusted” show shine of 99.00. 20-18=2/2=1+98.00=99.00
So let’s say my highest SOP dog in that breed is only a 98.85
I would likely keep that low show shine dog to breed with, hoping to get lucky and carry the higher other traits of the low show shine dog AND get a SS of 20 for a overall higher SOP dog. Sometimes it’s a bust but sometimes it works. So like anything it’s personal preference and a bit of luck.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2020 1:36:00 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Also, these projects can take more than one generation to come good and several to fix a higher trait. Though you can get lucky. happy :)
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2020 2:42:39 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

For showing, I prefer to show as close to SS20 as possible. It's a big factor in doing well in the show.

For breeding, I use the better trait numbers with low ss if its a trait that my kennel is weak in.

I wouldn't waste sessions on a poor SS on animal if you have decent competition in the breed.

Will
 BarStar Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2020 2:43:49 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Goldens Object to Post

Also, I find that SS is the easiest trait to fix in breeding.

Will
 WillowRidge
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/26/2020 6:28:58 PM reply with quote send message to WillowRidge Object to Post

Thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful and much appreciated

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.