Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Been away a while... back now... wondering....
 TriStar Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/14/2021 6:46:07 PM reply with quote send message to TriStar Kennels Object to Post   

Hello,

I decided to come back and play again, I have a bit more time on my hands since Covid still has all our activities cancelled.

I see alot of my old breeds have reached 100SOP now... wondering if anyone has just decided to start over with their breeds from starter dogs, bred to current dogs? something more fun to do... I still like the showing aspect though and would be happy to show my low SOP dogs even though I know they won't win anything against the high SOP dogs but maybe the show entries are low enough it won't matter. Haven't looked into them much lately.
 Havok Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/15/2021 9:57:16 AM reply with quote send message to Havok Kennel Object to Post

Welcome back! I know there are people on here that have bred there line up from starters but from what I understand it is a painstaking task that takes years of dedication. There are plenty of shows offered daily and almost all breeds are represented in at least one.
 Raconteur
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/15/2021 5:11:00 PM reply with quote send message to Raconteur Object to Post

Recently returned and have been busy with 3 premi accounts building lakelands, briards, and lowchen up from starters. No way in heck they'll be showable any time soon, but it's been fun seeing progress and playing with colors. Fortunately, since my accounts were old and sitting dormant, the balances are high enough where I was able to purchase starters in high volume of specific colors and keep the good ones.
 Loch Tay
Basic User

Basic User
1/22/2021 6:47:22 AM reply with quote send message to Loch Tay Object to Post

Yes, I'm doing this with starter bitches put to high SOP mostly abandoned studs, but it's more to get the breed going again...it had reached mid 90's SOP and there are only 50 dogs in the breed

First litters are still low SOP but definite improvements on source. I was lucky enough to be able to reclaim one girl of my original kennel...over 800 Days old!! She has just given me a second litter, so lucky..I was so sure she would die before she gave me any puppies.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/24/2021 12:32:54 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I've got Weimaraners back up to low 90's from source plus essentially 0ne stud. COI has been a challenge at times but I have dogs almost equal to that one stud - he is now 900+ days old, so coming to the end.

I started this perhaps a couple of years ago (we had more studs then) then left it for a bit because it seemed to have sufficient support, then "support" vanished at some point so I picked them up again.

I just noticed that another "old timer" has joined us again but we could still use some more help . . .

I'm also working with Bostons where we have a decent supply of studs (1 abandoned kennel) but they are dominated by real-life disqualified colours - all of a more or less recessive nature thus not obviously carrying the accepted black and brindle. No girls available, so I made two starters of the accepted colours (unfortunately they seem to have come with those unwanted recessives so it's been a challenge to breed up, but making progress.

These two projects are predominately in the Canmore Kennel Group.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but it appears to me that the breeding machine has a colour bias which produces higher quality in somewhat recessive colours. (I've observed this in ShowHorse as well.) This results in what seems to be an unnatural threat to certain colours in many breeds unless you take colour into consideration.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/27/2021 8:31:17 PM
 Alibi
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2021 12:53:28 PM reply with quote send message to Alibi Object to Post

posted by gaylanstudio

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but it appears to me that the breeding machine has a colour bias which produces higher quality in somewhat recessive colours. (I've observed this in ShowHorse as well.) This results in what seems to be an unnatural threat to certain colours in many breeds unless you take colour into consideration.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/24/2021 12:34:27 PM

I actually found this when I was in cockers years ago, it was really really easy to get high SOP reds but much harder to get the buff's to high SOP. We did eventually but the reds always got there first it seemed.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/26/2021 11:03:20 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Lol! Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this!

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.