Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : SOP breeding results?
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
5/12/2021 12:11:09 PM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post   

Are the puppy stats completely random when you mate a virtual dog and bitch, or do they depend on the bloodlines of the dogs involved as tehy would in real life.Outcrossing seems to have poor results, should I be linebreeding more strongly? Plus, is the heredity of colour correct - or is that random too?
 DetroitKennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/12/2021 12:15:03 PM reply with quote send message to DetroitKennel Object to Post

https://www.showdog.com/help/topic.aspx?id=29
This should help answer some of your questions.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/12/2021 12:34:11 PM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

Thank you, I hadn't found that bit! Looks like line breeding is the way forward then - funny how they say the runts are not connected to genetics! I have met a few breeders who would try that one on in real life!! LOL
 DetroitKennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/12/2021 3:10:49 PM reply with quote send message to DetroitKennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have still had good luck with breeding out of line as long as the traits match up well. It tends to be a bit less consistent but can produce some good dogs-and can help if you want to work on a particular trait (if everything aligns right). That’s just been my experience though. I tend to do a little bit of everything. Convinced it’s only half strategy and the other half luck!

-----
Last edited by DetroitKennel on 5/12/2021 3:16:17 PM
 residential
Basic User

Basic User
5/13/2021 7:02:56 AM reply with quote send message to residential Object to Post

I breed solely by SOP, but honestly in most of my breeds it's hard to outcross.

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.