Search

.com Forum · American Forum

Replies in this thread : 20

Author Topic : For horse lovers
 dog rocks
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/30/2007 10:33:03 AM reply with quote send message to dog rocks Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

isn`t true that Barbaro was raised in ocala Florida
 dog rocks
Basic User

Basic User
7/30/2007 11:26:11 AM reply with quote send message to dog rocks Object to Post

B

U

M

P
 amenity
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2007 10:12:21 AM reply with quote send message to amenity Object to Post

I have absolutely no idea. That's a weird place for racehorses to be raised, though, isn't it? I know that there are a lot of farms there, but that's normally just Winter stables, isn't it? (I'm not really a racehorse expert...) All I know was that he went to Newbolton (sp?) after he was hurt... and that is where my friend took her horse. *shrug* I guess it ended up being more famous than I was aware of before I knew he was there, it is just a couple of hours away from where I am, so it seemed like an obvious option to me for her to take him there, but I guess it really is a nice facility.
 Stow Away Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2007 10:43:57 AM reply with quote send message to Stow Away Kennels Object to Post

animity (sp?) I just pmd your kennels!
 Ross Wood Setters
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2007 3:54:04 PM reply with quote send message to Ross Wood Setters Object to Post

no idea
 dogsRcuties
Basic User

Basic User
2/26/2008 7:43:38 PM reply with quote send message to dogsRcuties Object to Post

who's Barbaro
 Ross Wood Setters
Basic User

Basic User
2/28/2008 2:49:00 PM reply with quote send message to Ross Wood Setters Object to Post

This is really old!
 dogsRcuties
Basic User

Basic User
2/29/2008 5:04:28 PM reply with quote send message to dogsRcuties Object to Post

Still who's Barbaro
 Sheeba Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/29/2008 6:27:35 PM reply with quote send message to Sheeba Kennels Object to Post

He is a racehorse who won the Kentucky Derby but then broke his leg in the preakness. Almost made a comeback but then he died. Long story short. Sorry for bad grammar.
 puppyprincess0397
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2008 8:11:05 PM reply with quote send message to puppyprincess0397 Object to Post

I think he did!
 Senzafine
Basic User

Basic User
3/30/2008 6:26:36 PM reply with quote send message to Senzafine Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

Barbaro was born at Springmint Farm in Nicholasville, Kentucky.

He was trained by Michael Matz and lived at Fair Hill Training Center in Maryland during that time:
nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/12724679/

After his injury he lived at the University of Pennsylvania until he was put down.

So in a word, "No." He was not raised in Florida. What happened to this poor horse is yet another reminder of why it is not a good idea to race horses so young before bones and tendons have a chance to mature. BUT, I will save my horse racing rant for another time and place. wink ;)

ETA: Didn't realize the original post was so old.
 Golden Faith (the Second)
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2008 9:08:58 PM reply with quote send message to Golden Faith (the Second) Object to Post

posted by dogsRcuties
who's Barbaro
An awesome racehorse! He won the 2006 Kentucky Derby but sadly he was put down b/c his leg broke and only got worse because of racing in the Preakness Stakes.

I personally am anti-racing but I did like Barbaro. happy :)
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2008 7:28:10 AM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

Ok my dad trains racehorses so yes he was raised in ocala and no not a weird place to bring up horses thats where most of come from anyway. his trainer was michael matz olympic rider. very nice by the way, and barbaro did shatter his hind leg but the main reason why he died was from laminitis. that comes from him having to put weight on his other legs. he was a great horse and proved himself worthy. its sad he had no legacy to live with his fantasic breeding and all. he has full brother and sisters though which matz has 1-2 i think. he was incredible to watch in the morning training.

but this year blackberry road and denis of cork all the way!
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2008 7:33:26 AM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

Golden faith. Horse racing isnt cruel. the horses are in excellent care and most of them love what they do. the horses at my dads barn are so spoiled that everytime they ship out for a race we send them with 2 huge bags of peppermints and they most of the time dont come back with any left. my dad and his family and my family and horsemen and woman and horses are our livelyhood and the racetrack provides jobs, im not saying ur saying bad things but dont until you have your at least 12 years morning and night with the racehorses on the track, because i have pretty much spent my life there along with my show horses
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
4/8/2008 7:35:08 AM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

he was born i kentucky yes but he did go to ocala for some while for sales and such and yes i dont really really agree with spring 2year old racing but they are in excellent care
 Classycolly
Basic User

Basic User
4/11/2008 7:00:04 PM reply with quote send message to Classycolly Object to Post

Barbaro was born at Springmint Farm in Nicholasville, Kentucky.

He was trained by Michael Matz and lived at Fair Hill Training Center in Maryland during that time..

Correct, and Michael did a great job with him.

Barbaro has a brother that will be out next year, I believe. Although he could be nothing like his brother, I'm interested in seeing how he turns out. I believe he'll be going in the Derby as well.

The only thing I have against racing is how ill mannered a lot (not all) of the horses all. They are usually drugged during farrier visits, that's how bad they can be. But I'm sure there are some pretty good ones out there..

Other than that, I'm fine with the sport.
 Senzafine
Basic User

Basic User
4/11/2008 10:33:27 PM reply with quote send message to Senzafine Object to Post

My issues with horse racing stem mostly from the fact that I have had to work with alot of ex-racehorses rehabilitating them for the show ring and I find it appaling the amount of injuries I've seen. I do not agree with how racehorses are "trained" at all. Perhaps "worked" would be a better word, because most racehorses I've seen are greenbroke at best, hence the ill manners mentioned before.

I do not agree with working a horse that intensely while they are so young. Any vet will tell you that the reason you see so many injuries on the track is that putting that much stress on muscles, tendons, and bones that are not fully developed is less than beneficial to the animal. That's just common sense. I have never seen a show horse in any discipline even started under saddle before 3 or 4.

Racehorses are only worked in one direction (counter clockwise) so anyone who's ridden an ex race horse knows how weak they are on one side.

At any rate I am not trying to put you or your father down, Westminster. I just don't agree with the sport. As for "excellent care" I know for a fact that all racehorses are NOT treated so well. Like any sport, there are those in it for love of the sport/animal and those in it purely for the money. The show circuits are much the same way.
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2008 7:36:38 PM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

The brother of Barbaro is probably not going to be nearly as good as Barbaro.

Also, A lot of them aren't ill mannered depending on the barn your at. My dad is a natural horseman from irealand and is in it because he loves the horses.

Also they are not trained NOT worked, worked is an entirely different word meaning breezing a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, or 5/8 of mile. They are trained bothe ways and have to go one way for the gallops and breezes so theres less chance of people running into people. Think before you speak.

Also please remember you probably aren't there at the track with them everyday so if your not I will please ask you to hammer insults at us racetrackers.
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2008 7:37:53 PM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

Last paragraph rephrased, i will ask you to NOT hammer insults at us racetrackers
 Classycolly
Basic User

Basic User
4/17/2008 11:20:29 AM reply with quote send message to Classycolly Object to Post

The brother of Barbaro is probably not going to be nearly as good as Barbaro.

I don't think either. But I'll still be keeping an eye on him..

I wasn't "hammering" racehorses. I love the sport and love the horses. Our Ex Racers at my training stable where I worked for a long time did give us a good bit of trouble about such things as feet, etc.

But I'm sure it all depends on what barn you are at. There are a lot of great trainers out there with very well mannered horses.

That's cool about your dad. I use Clinton Anderson's method & like it. I also use some John Lyons.
 Westminster
Basic User

Basic User
4/17/2008 6:43:05 PM reply with quote send message to Westminster Object to Post

Ok, normally half-siblings can mabe turn out to be ok.

But understand what Im telling you, Having Dynaformer and the same mare produce something that good again is very slim.

Replies in this thread : 20

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.