Search

.com Forum · UK Forum

Replies in this thread : 19

Author Topic : Houses in England?
 Snow Country
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/3/2007 1:20:31 AM reply with quote send message to Snow Country Object to Post   

Hi!
Yes, I am American but I love England and I wish to live there when im older.

If its okay with you guys could you take pictures of where you live and stuff? You dont have to take pics of your actual house but like idk.. whatever you want.happy :)

Thanks!

Oh! and if anyone could explain the difference between England, Britain and the U.K?

I fell kinda stupid for asking *embarrassed*
 Stow Away Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2007 1:23:09 AM reply with quote send message to Stow Away Kennels Object to Post

United Kngdom all the nations of britan, and england is the main country! I will take some today of our shopping centre (mall)
 Pedigree Testing
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2007 1:25:01 AM reply with quote send message to Pedigree Testing Object to Post

Lets hope no one thnks your weird lol! Yes We will take some today, of the 'mall' our flat, parks etc!
 Ranchstar
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2007 7:31:15 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstar Object to Post

posted by Stow Away Kennels
United Kngdom all the nations of britan, and england is the main country! I will take some today of our shopping centre (mall)
I think you might get lynched by any Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish reading your post wink ;)

The UK is made up of the seperate countries (in alphabetical order so as not to cause offence) England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

The UK and GB are in effect the same thing but there is a technical difference which I cannot remember. You can pass around the member countries without a passport and we all use the same currency (although the Scots have different bank notes which are completely interchangable with the British ones).

Some members of the individual countries are very proud of their nationality and protect it fiercly, hence my first comment. Although the language of all member countries is English, the Scots and Welsh have their own languages as do the people of Cornwall which is a county (like a US state) of England.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards
Pam
 Ranchstar
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2007 7:31:15 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstar Object to Post

posted by Stow Away Kennels
I think you might get lynched by any Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish reading your post wink ;)

The UK is made up of the seperate countries (in alphabetical order so as not to cause offence) England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

The UK and GB are in effect the same thing but there is a technical difference which I cannot remember. You can pass around the member countries without a passport and we all use the same currency (although the Scots have different bank notes which are completely interchangable with the British ones).

Some members of the individual countries are very proud of their nationality and protect it fiercly, hence my first comment. Although the language of all member countries is English, the Scots and Welsh have their own languages as do the people of Cornwall which is a county (like a US state) of England.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards
Pam
 Pedigree Testing
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2007 2:01:08 PM reply with quote send message to Pedigree Testing Object to Post

We are scottish!
 Snow Country
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2007 8:41:50 PM reply with quote send message to Snow Country Object to Post

Thanks!

Sorry if I offend anyone, I dont mean to!
 qman
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2007 10:36:57 PM reply with quote send message to qman Object to Post

Check out this AWSOME IPOD NANO!! It only works when plugged in. The item number is 200137340263 I REPEAT THE ITEM NUMBER IS 200137340263. ON EBAY!! 200137340263

Check out this AWSOME IPOD NANO!! It only works when plugged in. The item number is 200137340263 I REPEAT THE ITEM NUMBER IS 200137340263. ON EBAY!! 200137340263

Ranchstar
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2007 6:52:20 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstar Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

qman - go away - we are trying to have a sensible discussion here.

snow country - You have not offended anyone. I was having a gentle, humerous dig at stow away.

If you do come to live in England (or Britain) you will find that each country has a generally good natured (sadly as with eveything there are extremists) nationism.

I am English but when asked my nationality normally reply British. I live in England but we have at least one holiday a year in Scotland and the occasional holiday in Wales. My English husband would like to live in Scotland.

Regards
Pam
 Ranchstar
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2007 6:52:20 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstar Object to Post

qman - go away - we are trying to have a sensible discussion here.

snow country - You have not offended anyone. I was having a gentle, humerous dig at stow away.

If you do come to live in England (or Britain) you will find that each country has a generally good natured (sadly as with eveything there are extremists) nationism.

I am English but when asked my nationality normally reply British. I live in England but we have at least one holiday a year in Scotland and the occasional holiday in Wales. My English husband would like to live in Scotland.

Regards
Pam
 Magickal Destiny
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2007 7:54:47 AM reply with quote send message to Magickal Destiny Object to Post

I am an American, with a special love for the U.K.

When hubby and I married in November 2000, we departed for our honeymoon there, and arrived in London in time for fireworks celebrating Guy Fawkes Night (link to explanation below).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

Yep, November in London. We spent a week touring the city and the surrounding area (including the city of Bath, and Stonehenge). It was cold and damp but we loved every second of our trip, LOL!

That was almost seven years ago, but if I can find any photos I took which might interest you, I'll see if I can't post them here.

- TJC

Snow Country
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2007 10:10:06 AM reply with quote send message to Snow Country Object to Post

Thank you everyone, I will have to read about Guy Fawkes.
Me and my mom might visit this year or next year. Im way excited. My mom went there when she was younger and she loved it! She has beautiful pics of castles and all that good stuff. From movies, the internet, books and so on, it looks very beautiful on the other side of the pond. happy :)

Okay, if this is offensive would someone please tell me to take it off? I dont want any one mad at me.
Is it true you cant live in Ireland unless your Irish?

That is what ive heard... so can someone whos American visit?

Thanks and sorry if I offend anyone! Just tell me to take it off!
 Snow Country
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2007 10:15:37 AM reply with quote send message to Snow Country Object to Post

posted by Magickal Destiny
I am an American, with a special love for the U.K.

When hubby and I married in November 2000, we departed for our honeymoon there, and arrived in London in time for fireworks celebrating Guy Fawkes Night (link to explanation below).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

Yep, November in London. We spent a week touring the city and the surrounding area (including the city of Bath, and Stonehenge). It was cold and damp but we loved every second of our trip, LOL!

That was almost seven years ago, but if I can find any photos I took which might interest you, I'll see if I can't post them here.

- TJC

Im sorry, what does it mean when it says its not a public holiday?
 Magickal Destiny
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2007 1:27:07 PM reply with quote send message to Magickal Destiny Object to Post

posted by Snow Country
Im sorry, what does it mean when it says its not a public holiday?
I was not really sure, so I went back to the Wikipedia entry and clicked on the following two links:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holiday

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holiday#Public_holidays

Looked further and found:

separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2006/08/bank-holidays.html

and

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1506906.stm

If you read all those links, that pretty much explains it. happy :)

- TJC

Ranchstar
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2007 11:07:44 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstar Object to Post

posted by Snow Country

As far as I am aware there are no restrictions as to who can live in Ireland. From what I hear (I've never been) the Irish make visitors extremely welcome and I would imagine that with many Americans having Irish ancestry they would be particularly welcome.
You need to be aware that Northern Ireland and Ireland (Eire) are two different countries with different currencies.
A public holiday is what we call in Britain a "Bank Holiday". The term Bank Holiday originates from the days when banks had a day off. Bank/public holidays are odd days holiday (similar to your 4th July). In England they are 1st January, Good Friday, Easter Monday, the first Monday in May, the last Monday in May, the last Monday in August, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. In Scotland they have the first Monday in August instead of the last and 2nd January instead of Boxing Day. As far as I can remember the Welsh have the same Bank Holidays as the English. I think there are slight differences in Northern Ireland but I'm not sure exactly what they are.
 Ranchstar
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2007 11:07:44 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstar Object to Post

posted by Snow Country

As far as I am aware there are no restrictions as to who can live in Ireland. From what I hear (I've never been) the Irish make visitors extremely welcome and I would imagine that with many Americans having Irish ancestry they would be particularly welcome.
You need to be aware that Northern Ireland and Ireland (Eire) are two different countries with different currencies.
A public holiday is what we call in Britain a "Bank Holiday". The term Bank Holiday originates from the days when banks had a day off. Bank/public holidays are odd days holiday (similar to your 4th July). In England they are 1st January, Good Friday, Easter Monday, the first Monday in May, the last Monday in May, the last Monday in August, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. In Scotland they have the first Monday in August instead of the last and 2nd January instead of Boxing Day. As far as I can remember the Welsh have the same Bank Holidays as the English. I think there are slight differences in Northern Ireland but I'm not sure exactly what they are.
 Ranchstar
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2007 11:11:11 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstar Object to Post

I forgot to say (and this is very important)
Ireland (Eire) is not part of the UK. It is Northern Ireland that is part of the UK.
 Ranchstar
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2007 11:11:11 AM reply with quote send message to Ranchstar Object to Post

I forgot to say (and this is very important)
Ireland (Eire) is not part of the UK. It is Northern Ireland that is part of the UK.
 Jessie and Kellys Collies
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2007 1:06:38 PM reply with quote send message to Jessie and Kellys Collies Object to Post

This is amusing to me as I am English and live in Enlgand but I want to move to America as, in my opinion, it is FAR nicer over there - LOL!

But seriously there is some FAB scenery over here!

I will take pictures of the park tomorrow!

Lauren of JaKc
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2007 2:39:38 PM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

Guy Fawkes night is brilliant, the atmosphere etc. But Im not a big fan of fireworks.

You'll love it over here if you do visit laugh :D
 Snow Country
Basic User

Basic User
8/6/2007 12:22:40 AM reply with quote send message to Snow Country Object to Post

I am so confused. laugh :D
Bank Holidays, Northern Ireland,(Eire)?
But yes, pictures would be nice!

Jessy Collies- You want to move over here? Haha thats funny.
Hmm.. well I live in the desert so I would be willing to switch any day!

Clarissa

Replies in this thread : 19

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.