Search

.com Forum · American Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : 6-9-08 Storm Damange
 Shybade
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/10/2008 5:46:24 AM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post   

On Memorial Day I had my brother come over to trim a couple trees that were getting a bit too bushy- I didn't want them damaging the house during a storm. He got quite a bit cut off- actually I still have a large pile of debris out behind my fence waiting on my other brother to come over and pick it up so he can burn it.

Last night at about 6pm, I was out on the deck taking video of the storm (video uploading now) and was getting some pretty good footage when my mother realized what I was doing and yanked me in the house. Even with me being an adult, mother still rules.

Just as we shut the back door, the house went black- we lost power. Less than five seconds later, a horrible crash. I opened the back door to find my deck looking like this:

www.loveofbreeds.com/6908storm1.jpg
www.loveofbreeds.com/6908storm2.jpg
www.loveofbreeds.com/6908storm4.jpg
www.loveofbreeds.com/6908storm5.jpg
www.loveofbreeds.com/6908storm6.jpg

Notice that black wire in the middle of the branch? That's my power line! Lightning had already taken out the power to it seconds before it fell so it wasn't a live wire thankfully. But, the rest of my neighborhood got their power back on at 2am, and I had to wait until 5am for them to come to my house. I had power around 6am.

I haven't slept since I got up at 5:30 am yesterday- and today is most likely going to be a very long day. It's my mothers 68th birthday today- so I'm sure my brothers and sister will all be over...hopefully one of them brings a chainsaw lol
 Silk Shadows
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2008 6:13:00 AM reply with quote send message to Silk Shadows Object to Post

Wow Shy, good thing the power went out! I feel your pain though, we just spent the ENTIRE day yesterday cutting up a huge tree that fell on Sunday night. A few more feet to the one side and it would have wiped out my house. Hope nothing of yours was damaged. Trees are a pain sometimes huh?
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2008 6:44:58 AM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

Here's a link to the video- www.loveofbreeds.com/PICT4669.AVI I haven't checked it to make sure it works or not- the file is huge (32mb) and I'm too tired to fool with much right now lol.

I got in touch with my brother before he left for work this morning and he's going to put his chainsaw in his work truck and come over when he gets off at lunch to cut up this massive limb, and his wife is going to bring the truck over so we can load it up.

But, I'm going to have to do a bit of trimming on it myself before all that happens- the boys can only go off the other side of the deck due to the branch, and they only have a small area to potty. They all went out and lifted their legs, but they haven't done "everything" yet because they can't get to their "areas" in the yard that they love most.

When they were working on getting my line up this morning Sidy acted like he just absolutly couldn't hold it so I took him out in the front yard on a lead, and even though I knew he had to go badly, he wouldn't do anything. My boys are absolutly spoiled rotten and very set in their ways lol
 Shybade
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2008 5:14:49 PM reply with quote send message to Shybade Object to Post

Things are back to normal now... all the branches are cut up and out back behind my fence. My sister in law took a truckload of it today but it's going to take at least 3 more truckloads to get all the branches gone.

The cool thing was that I submitted the pictures of my deck to one of the local news stations this morning, and they were showing them on the news happy :)

In some areas of town (including where I live) there was a great deal of damage and there are still people without power- the power company says that it may be Thursday before everyone gets power due to all the fallen trees.

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.