Replies in this thread : 43
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Dangerous Dogs Act
 nat888
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/2/2008 10:07:00 PM reply with quote send message to nat888 Object to Post   

I am interested in peoples opinions on this, especially the three othe banned breeds:
Argentine Dogo
Fila Brasilero
Tosa Inu
considering there were few and far between of those breeds when this law was implemented. And regarding dog attacks in our country are still rife.
No arguements please, just a discussion.
I myself disagree with the law.
You?
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2008 2:11:02 PM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

I think that a serious problem with breed specific legislation is that the majority of the people who enforce it do not know one breed from another let alone the crossbreds.
It is highlighted by the number of Staffordshire Bull Terriers that are being labelled as Pit Bull Terriers. The two breeds look completely different but the authorities can't tell the difference.
Secondly it is usually the owner that is the problem rather than the dog. There are many lovely Rottweilers around, some not so lovely but well controlled by their owners. Why should these people suffer because of the negligent ones. Put the bad owners down I say wink :)
The fact is that statistics show that the dog you are most likely to be bitten by is a Labrador.
Before all you Labrador owners lynch me, I know that in general they are a very good natured dog.
They are very popular and I'm sure that this statistic is due to the sheer number of Labradors compared to other breeds.
I am trying to make the point that you just can't go around condeming dogs by breed. A bad owner can make the gentlest of dogs a problem.
 Charmed Champion Show Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2008 2:15:23 PM reply with quote send message to Charmed Champion Show Dogs Object to Post

I agree with wicken fen...I own a labrador myself, but I've only ever been bitten by two dogs, one being a labrador. He was just roaming around with a collar on so I tried to help and he charged and bit me. Doesn't change my outlook on labs or any other breed just that particular dog.
 Show Staffs
Basic User

Basic User
9/5/2008 10:39:56 AM reply with quote send message to Show Staffs Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

hi im so glad somes broght this up today as i was just thinking about how STUPID this is, and personaly i DON'T BELIFE IN THIS HORRIFC AND STUPID ACT, banning breeds is BSL and is wrong, but most people would say, well the dogs don't know that its breed legislation, but i think they do, i have two staffies and people will take one look at them and scoop there kids up out of there way coz why there staffies, one of them acts like a person, see he has big ears and we call him our little wing nut, and then he goes all sad coz he knows what wrere saying about him, so you see dogs do have feelings, and banning them is just avoiding the matter, anyway, as i always say, "A DOG DOES TO PLEASE HIS OWNER" AND " A DOG IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT" im only 16 but i have a right passion for all dogs, and one day i want to change others minds about how loyal and caring the staffy and all these other breeds are.
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/5/2008 12:18:47 PM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

I know Staffies often don't like other dogs but they are wonderful with people. It is such a shame that BSL is turning people against a good family pet.
 Tiggertot
Basic User

Basic User
9/7/2008 10:51:50 AM reply with quote send message to Tiggertot Object to Post

yes it is sad that it has come to this, that its people that have destroyed the the temperement and character of dogs, yes a staff is a good family pet, but i must admit if i am out walking my dog i will cross the road to avoid one, if i'm dogless and the dog is friendly then i wil stroke it, i have sadly learnt from experience not to trust a staff.
 Border_Collie_Lover1
Basic User

Basic User
11/7/2008 3:37:34 PM reply with quote send message to Border_Collie_Lover1 Object to Post

Well I think I agree with what u r saying. But still there have been a few people killed by vicious dogs. I personaly would never go up to a dog I didn't know and stroke it. Because me and my friends were playin footie one day and my friend went to stroke the dog and it bit her and then it bit ME!!! I like dogs though don't get me wrong they make gr8 fammily pets and it's really interisting to here u'r views on the situation. Bye good luck laugh :D!!!
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
11/7/2008 5:53:31 PM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

I think it's completely insane. It's so unfair to label an entire breed. I'm very experienced with dogs and almost all of the staffies/rotties/malamutes/labs/border collies/GSDs/akitas/poodles - any breed of dog have been LOVELY. My point is any "viscous" dog can be viscous for many reasons which are not necessarily influenced by the breed.

You can not just label them all as something, it's totally unfair

Punish the deed NOT the breed

It's the owners fault, not the dogs

Madz
 Moonwind
Basic User

Basic User
11/7/2008 10:18:39 PM reply with quote send message to Moonwind Object to Post

i dont live in the uk, but im an animal freak and would like to share my ideas.

I THINK ITS TOTALLY UNFAIR TO BAN AN ENTIRE BREED!
ITS NOT THE DOGS' FAULT!

IT IS THE FAULT OF THE OWNERS, THE CIRCUMSTANCES, AND POSSIBLY A MENTAL DISORDER.
 Border_Collie_Lover1
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2008 4:04:09 AM reply with quote send message to Border_Collie_Lover1 Object to Post

I agree with u all! I am scared they will ban rotties next and although I don't have one I still like them. I don't think they should ban any breed. But I do think that if a dog kills someone then they should put down that dog because it could be a danger to the public.
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2008 5:36:08 AM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

posted by Border_Collie_Lover1
But still there have been a few people killed by vicious dogs.
There are a lot more people killed by vicious humans.
 Moonwind
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2008 6:48:09 AM reply with quote send message to Moonwind Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

you know, you're right, collie lover.

i dont think, though, that they should be put down cuz they bite a few people. unless they have rabies.
but until they kill someone, i think that even highly aggressive dogs, can be helped and rehabilitated.
 Border_Collie_Lover1
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2008 8:20:21 AM reply with quote send message to Border_Collie_Lover1 Object to Post

Well I don't know, but I was just makin a point that sometimes[/u not all the time, just some of the time dogs should be put down because they r 2 dangerouse to handle. I think it's sad though.
 Border_Collie_Lover1
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2008 8:45:20 AM reply with quote send message to Border_Collie_Lover1 Object to Post

ooops I didn't mean 2 underline the whole think. Lol! laugh :D
 Border_Collie_Lover1
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2008 8:45:46 AM reply with quote send message to Border_Collie_Lover1 Object to Post

Bump because 13 is unlucky.
 anniemariel99
Basic User

Basic User
11/9/2008 6:55:02 PM reply with quote send message to anniemariel99 Object to Post

I'd say like 3 or 4 people out of 2 million are bitten and killed by dogs. (I mean by an agressive dog, not rabies) It is cruel that they would turn down a whole breed!
 Kitt Coty
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2008 1:54:54 PM reply with quote send message to Kitt Coty Object to Post

There was an interesting piece on the BBC The One Show tonight.What really annoys me is that everytime the DDA and Pit Bulls are mentioned the video footage is nearly always of Staffies.Two dog trainers were interviewes and both said owners at fault.I would like to see an owners test but I would also like to see education for children on how to behave if ever around a dog.Sadly scare tactics regarding dangerous dogs can only frighten children into running away when they see a dog a sure way to build up a dangerous situation.Sadly it doesnt look as if dog trainers are going to be taken any notice of.
 Border_Collie_Lover1
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2008 2:26:20 PM reply with quote send message to Border_Collie_Lover1 Object to Post

I heard that teenagers were training dogs to act vicously towards other people because they wanted to make the dogs attack rival gangs. Sad isn't it. That is just taking advantage of a dog!
 mistymorning
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2008 2:26:41 PM reply with quote send message to mistymorning Object to Post

I don't know much about these breeds because I've never owned one.I've heard they are more aggressive,yet also heard they are just big pussy cats.Maybe instead of banning these breeds,there needs to be a banning of any aggressive dog,regardless of breed or mix.Any dog can be aggressive if inproperly bred,trained,and/or socialized.Unfortunatly,this happens alot,and there are alot of ignorant people that have these dogs.I say ban all aggressive dogs as an individual.Ban the deed,not the breed!
 Wicken Fen Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2008 3:58:10 PM reply with quote send message to Wicken Fen Kennels Object to Post

posted by Kitt Coty
Sadly scare tactics regarding dangerous dogs can only frighten children into running away when they see a dog a sure way to build up a dangerous situation.
Well said!
I am horrified when I hear adults tell a child to stay away from a dog because it will bite. This becomes a self fulfilling prophesy as dogs are cowards at heart and will not attack unless they think they will win.
 mistymorning
Basic User

Basic User
11/10/2008 6:18:50 PM reply with quote send message to mistymorning Object to Post

I was always told that if you see a dog charging you,do notrun.That just makes the dog run after you!I know this is true!Last year,a dog charged me,growling.My instinct was to run,but I stood my groung.The dog didn't bite,just walked away from me.Word to wise though,never look a strange dog in the eyes,or smile at them,many see this as a challenge!

Replies in this thread : 43
Page : 1 2 3
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.