Search

.com Forum · Canadian Forum

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : whats it like
 doggysrockdude
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/21/2009 3:15:02 PM reply with quote send message to doggysrockdude Object to Post   

I live in the USA but my whole life i have wanted to live in Canada so is it much different there and stuff i don't want to sound racist or offensive i just want to move there in a couple of years when im 18
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2009 4:18:57 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

Some places are more different than others.

Quebec - is the only french-speaking province, although there are french areas in every province, they have a significantly different culture than English Canada. Although a few cities such as Montreal are nearly bilingual and are a mix of cultures. It has its own media and arts scene that it values very highly.

Alberta - is most similar to the USA and the most right-wing (politically) of Canada. Economy is the oil sands and agriculture (beef-ranching). Also home to some spectacular fossil-finding areas.

Saskatchewan and Manitoba - are the other prairie provinces (with Alberta) and are primarily rural communities but each have 2 largish cities. Manitoba in particular is considered to have the worst climate of the provinces having hot and buggy summers and frigid winters.

Ontario - has the largest cities and is the most industrial province, it has been most hard hit by the recession and the collapse of manufacturing. It is also trying build a TV and film industry - Toronto has stood in for many US cities.

British Columbia - has an large film and TV industry as well, and a very liberal stance on many social topics (drugs), It has several major urban centres and the mildest climate.

The maritimes (PEI, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland) have a great music community and are generally small-towny, New Brunswick is the only officially bilingual province. They're economy is based on natural resources primarily (fishing and forestry) and which have been failing for some time now since the collapse of the cod stocks.

The Territories (Yukon, NWT, Nunavut) are very very very sparsely populated with even their capital cities little more than towns. Their industry is primarily mining currently the hot topic is diamonds in NWT.

All of Canada is remarkably diverse and multicultural and these differences are celebrated, and assimilation is often considered a bad thing. Walking down the street of any major city and your likely to hear 3+ languages and seen people of every colour. Canada is lacking in national heros unlike the US (I like to call us patriotically unpatriotic), and generally considers its own history boring. Canada generally prefers peace-keeping to war, and is proud of accepting US draft dodgers. The health care system is considered one of the best things about Canada by Canadians. Border states are very similar to most of Canada.

Politically Canada is left-wing compared to the US with a very different political system, There are 4 or 5 major parties depending on who you ask.

Oh and I almost forgot the whole 'Cuba' thing. Cuba is a very popular tourist destination for Canadians - jokingly because there are no Americans there - we have no beef with Cuba.
 SquirrelDogs
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2009 7:40:10 PM reply with quote send message to SquirrelDogs Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by griffin
Some places are more different than others.

Saskatchewan and Manitoba - are the other prairie provinces (with Alberta) and are primarily rural communities but each have 2 largish cities. Manitoba in particular is considered to have the worst climate of the provinces having hot and buggy summers and frigid winters.

As a born and raised Manitoban of 40+ years, it really bugs me when we are slammed like this, however well meaning. wink ;)

"Worst" really is a relative term. Manitoba, being a prairie province, has some of the most *VARIED* weather in Canada, and its pretty much the same as Saskatchewan. Yes, we can have very hot summers and if you don't like humidity along with it, it may not be the province for you. We also can have very cold winters, and its all relative depending on how far north you live. If you don't want to learn how to drive on ice (who doesn't, really laugh :D ), it may not be the province for you. Bugs, yep, we have them but with 100,000+ lakes, many rivers and marshlands, how can we not? Of course the further north you travel the further into muskeg you go and the more bugs. We don't have hurricanes, tornado risk is low and no earthquakes so I guess its all what you're willing to live with. I wouldn't trade it for any other province, except maybe Saskatchewan. laugh :D
 GaylanStudio4
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/24/2009 1:26:02 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio4 Object to Post

Hey Squirrel, as a fellow Manitoba I thank you for standing up for our fair province. She ain't perfect, but she ain't that bad!

And we got culture too, eh! Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Symphony; Pro sports (CFL Football "Winnipeg Blue Bombers", Triple A? or something Baseball "Winnipeg Goldeyes", Hockey (not NHL but we did) "Manitoba Moose". I'm not that into pro sports but I sort of know who they are and how they're doing in a general way.

We have several show-giving dog clubs. Our shows tend to be two to four days (each day a different show) due to the greater distances between larger cities. This applies to all of Canada actually.

Manitoba has a diverse economy and as a result tends to "suffer" "the-boom-to-bust" cycle less dramatically.

QueenofDachshunds
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2009 8:57:57 PM reply with quote send message to QueenofDachshunds Object to Post

I live in Canada and I gotta tell ya,it ain't all that great. I want to move to Miami cuz it is warm ALL the time. It is so cold where I live that my toes go numb and I don't even notice.
You don't want to live here. And the amount of homeless here in BC... It is not even realistic.And USA has better colleges. I want to go to Harvard and do the vet programme as well,but it is expensive..
 Larkenloch
Basic User

Basic User
11/26/2009 12:24:04 PM reply with quote send message to Larkenloch Object to Post

posted by QueenofDachshunds
I live in Canada and I gotta tell ya,it ain't all that great. I want to move to Miami cuz it is warm ALL the time. It is so cold where I live that my toes go numb and I don't even notice.
You don't want to live here. And the amount of homeless here in BC... It is not even realistic.And USA has better colleges. I want to go to Harvard and do the vet programme as well,but it is expensive..

Actually the University of Guelph in southern Ontario has one of the top vet programs, I believe in the world.

I live in Ottawa, the capital region, and it's fine. I have to say Canada has a really varied climate. In Ottawa, the spring and summer are ridiculously humid, whereas it's really dry in southern Ontario and in the prairie provinces.

Ontario is a bilingual province, though more prominently so in the areas closer to Quebec and less to the south and west.

It's a good place to live, we have a health care system for example, but if you want to know about specific provinces/cities, you'll have to specify happy :)

I've LOVE to go to school in the US, mainly because I'd like to be in the FBI or work at Pelican Bay Penitentiary or somewhere like that. Too bad international student fees SUCK haha.

happy :)
Em
 doggysrockdude
Basic User

Basic User
11/27/2009 4:26:39 PM reply with quote send message to doggysrockdude Object to Post

Is there any good places to surf up there?
And are there any places that are hot year round like in San Diego CA
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
11/29/2009 7:57:55 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Actually most of southern Ontario is ridiculously humid, (trust me Ottawa is dry compared to Hamilton).

No where is it warm all the time like CA, Vancouver area is probably the most moderate and it is between 10-20 Celsius (50-70 Fahrenheit) most of the time. The warmest is southern Ontario where it gets around 30 Celsius (90 Fahrenheit) in the summer but it is -10 Celsius (10 Fahrenheit) in the winter.

BC is probably the best for surfing but the Maritimes it is possible as well as long as you don't mind cold water.

grif,
 Ravel
Basic User

Basic User
11/29/2009 5:02:20 PM reply with quote send message to Ravel Object to Post

BC has a lot of great places to surf (Tofino being my personal favorite)

As for American Post Secondary education, I really get annoyed when people say it is all around better than Canadian schools. We have many, many world class schools (UBC, Mount A, University of Guelph to name a few) and it's a lot cheaper here as well. laugh :D

Victoria has the warmest average temperature. It rarely gets below about 5 below in winter, and in the summer it's usually mid to high 20s.

Vancouver actually often gets up to low to mid thirties in the summer, but it's not hot all year round.

laugh :D

doggysrockdude
Basic User

Basic User
11/29/2009 5:19:23 PM reply with quote send message to doggysrockdude Object to Post

posted by Ravel

As for American Post Secondary education, I really get annoyed when people say it is all around better than Canadian schools. We have many, many world class schools (UBC, Mount A, University of Guelph to name a few) and it's a lot cheaper here as well. laugh :D

Victoria has the warmest average temperature. It rarely gets below about 5 below in winter, and in the summer it's usually mid to high 20s.

Vancouver actually often gets up to low to mid thirties in the summer, but it's not hot all year round.

Yeah I know, I don't really like the american schools.
 SureShot
Basic User

Basic User
11/29/2009 9:27:27 PM reply with quote send message to SureShot Object to Post

posted by Ravel

As for American Post Secondary education, I really get annoyed when people say it is all around better than Canadian schools. We have many, many world class schools (UBC, Mount A, University of Guelph to name a few) and it's a lot cheaper here as well.

The University of Alberta, in the city where I live, is considered to be one of the top medical research schools in the world. Recently a doctor here made a large stride in stem cell research toward curing lung disease.

The city I live in is also known as one of the best festival cities in Canada. We have the Fringe theatre festival, the Heritage festival (a wonderful celebration of cultural diversity) and the International Street Performers' Festival, just to name a few. We also have one of the biggest malls in the world.

Alberta is also (part) home to Banff National Park, in the beautiful Canadian rockies, one of the most gorgeous places in the world. It offers some of the world's best skiing and snowboarding, beautiful lodges and hotels including the famous Jasper Park Lodge and Chateau Lake Louise.

We aren't all rigpigs and rednecks; Alberta is a very business-driven and highly educated province.
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/11/2009 3:20:57 AM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

I used to live near the U of A also.

I agree with Alberta being a very business-driven province. Education and schools spend a lot of money on themselves, in general. Where I used to live, a suburb of Edmonton, EVERYONE was either rich or borderline rich. And if you weren't, then you were one of the minorities.

I moved to British Columbia about 3.5 years ago, and I tell ya, there's a huge different. While Alberta's economy is exploding, BC is a much more laid back, artsy community, with excellent (and expensive) land and homing.

As far as weather goes, BC is noticeably a lot warmer than AB. Where I live, the average mid-summer temperature is about 35-40 degrees Celcius, which is 95-104 degrees F. In Alberta, where I lived, was about 25-30 degrees average, although it spiked up to 40 a couple times. Alberta has extremely cold winters which can go down to as low as -50 but averaging -15 to -30, and winters last for about 4 or 5 months.

Sask- I lived there once too and have travelled there more than I can count. Winters are cold too but honestly, you adapt to your weathers and soon -40 doesn't even seem that big of a deal.

I actually personally think Saskatchewan has a bit of everything weather wise. Rain, heat, warm, dry, wet, freezing, thunder, tornados, humid, clear skies, grey skies..

Setting aside the aforementioned, I believe Canada is probably the best country in the world. I'm not biased. We're also very rich (although some Americans might argue that the USA is richer), and while that may be true, the USA also has the fastest-growing DEBT of any country in the world.

There are a lot less poor areas in Canada as compared to USA. I guess the Canadian government spreads the money out better; although, of course there are poorer and oppressed areas, just like the USA.

There is much less racism up here because our culture is so diverse. "Canadian" isn't really an ethnicity unless you're First Nation. School systems are meaty overall, there are several excellent schools here like the above have mentioned, and not to mention some of the most beautiful sites in the entire world (BC and the east coast especially).

Reina
 SureShot
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2009 6:42:03 AM reply with quote send message to SureShot Object to Post

posted by Dreisaiah Hundehutte
I used to live near the U of A also.

Where I used to live, a suburb of Edmonton, EVERYONE was either rich or borderline rich. And if you weren't, then you were one of the minorities.

Reina

You must have grown in in Sherwood Park LOL
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/12/2009 11:23:11 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

St. Albert. wink ;)
 SureShot
Basic User

Basic User
12/13/2009 12:17:00 PM reply with quote send message to SureShot Object to Post

LOL same idea. I grew up in Sherwood Park, a rich town full of spoiled teenagers with too much free time. (I should know, I was one for awhile LOL.)
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/13/2009 11:56:11 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

Haha that's too funny! Who knew? I'm just glad I moved but I do miss it a little bit.. and I ALWAYS stand up for Alberta when the BCians bash it. lol. It's almost like culture shock even just moving over one province.

Reina
 SureShot
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2009 6:17:10 PM reply with quote send message to SureShot Object to Post

FYI, Edmonton went from the second-coldest place on earth last Sunday (-59C) to downright balmy for this time of year today (hovering around 0C)

Insane.

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.