Replies in this thread : 37
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : About You
 Corrado
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/18/2010 3:48:37 PM reply with quote send message to Corrado Object to Post   

I thought the UK forum had a nice idea by having members tell a bit about themselves and where they live. Also, we could share a picture of our pets and such.

I'll go first:

I live in Colorado with my fiancé. I am in my final year of school, at a point where I can now decide to either go right into architechtural design or head off to law school like my family has done before me.

I have had dogs my whole life. I am heading about 2 hours away to pick up my newest addition, an English Bulldog/APBT mix, next Saturday.I'll share pictures when we get her. My RL breed is the Dogue de Bordeaux. We are getting one in a year and we are super excited.

Anyone else want to share?

elisey
Basic User

Basic User
12/14/2010 4:06:21 PM reply with quote send message to elisey Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

user wiped their message
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
12/14/2010 8:01:22 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

It's really not good to post about how to contact you or possibly figure out who you are in real life on a forum like this. Especially not good to post your age. You don't know who the other people are on here.
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2010 7:56:31 AM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

I agree, especially not about posting your age(found that out a really long time ago when I posted my age and I started getting people who wanted me to send them money >.>wink ;). But I don't get the whole contacting thing or figuring out who they are thing...on webkinz you can either accpet or deny a friend request, and the chat won't let you say certain words/phrases.

~IJMB
 elisey
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2010 11:26:06 AM reply with quote send message to elisey Object to Post

user wiped their message
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2010 2:26:18 PM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

We arn't being mean to you, so I don't get why you are yelling at us? We were just saying, because we don't want anyone to take advantage of your age. I know what its like to be 11, I was there not that long ago. Its easy to be ignorant and ignore what we are saying, but there ARE bad people here. Its not a closed comunity either, so outsiders could view your post as well.

-IJMB
 elisey
Basic User

Basic User
12/16/2010 7:51:40 PM reply with quote send message to elisey Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2010 2:33:30 PM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

Its fine, its just not good to tell your age on the internet unless you were 18 and older. I know you don't see the dangers of posting your age on the internet. I wasn't being harsh or anything, its just one of those being safe on the internet guidelineswink ;)

~IJMB
 elisey
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2010 7:07:19 PM reply with quote send message to elisey Object to Post

user wiped their message
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
12/17/2010 9:48:07 PM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

Well I was just trying to help, as was Wildsydewink ;)

~IJMB
 elisey
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2010 7:15:08 AM reply with quote send message to elisey Object to Post

user wiped their message
 elisey
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2010 3:47:40 PM reply with quote send message to elisey Object to Post

I deleted them all ya happy?
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2010 3:52:51 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Thank you. We weren't really just posting for you, you'd already spilled the beans, but for anyone else that might have thought of posting after you.

Another person had started a similar thread posting their photo and asking for info, it got reported and staff deleted the thread. With as much info as there is on the internet, you can find a good number of people just by knowing their first name, and dogs' names and breeds if they've ever posted that anywhere on the internet. There's a lot of creeps out there, good people need to do their best to help protect those that might not know how vulnerable they might be in what they post.
 elisey
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2010 7:21:32 PM reply with quote send message to elisey Object to Post

uhg why is everyone telling me what ta do? I am NOT happy bout this!
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2010 8:06:53 PM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Not telling YOU, you already know. Telling OTHERS that might read this post.
 itsjustmebre
Basic User

Basic User
12/18/2010 10:18:51 PM reply with quote send message to itsjustmebre Object to Post

100% what Wildsyde said.

~IJMB
 elisey
Basic User

Basic User
12/19/2010 7:53:35 AM reply with quote send message to elisey Object to Post

yeah bye y'all see you never cuz don't want to see u ever! yeah I pretty sure that people already know about the internet. I did since I was 7.
 AmazingDixie
Basic User

Basic User
12/25/2010 2:12:08 PM reply with quote send message to AmazingDixie Object to Post

Oh my goodness! What an ill mannered child! It may be pointless to put in my two cents.

I was exactly where this kid was when I was that age. Exploring the world through the internet. Now this was like 12 years ago. I was just some kid that had a habit of bothering breeders(inquiring about puppies) without my parents knowing, leaving silly childish posts on forums like this one, etc. I was 11 and had no clue. I sure thought I did though! I just wanted so bad to be a part of the dog community in some way. I made a lot of people angry.

Now that I have grown up, I know how to go about "internet communication". It comes with age. I imagin we adults on the forum know better than to fuel this 11 yr old spitfire.

To the 11yr old, you aren't doing anything wrong. Nobody is telling you what to do. Just warning you of the dangerous people that litterally HUNT people like yourself. Never jump at other poeple. It's very rude and it's the quickest way to make enemies on the web.

The internet is an endless supply of information. The people that are on the forums and in the RL dog world are the same people. It's not an endless supply of people. You WILL run into breeders, rescuers, handlers, etc on forums. Keep a good,polite reputation on the forums and it will benefit you in the long run.

Like I said before, I was just like you when I was your age. Unfortunatly I started out on dog forums cocky and too sure of myself. I made some enemies on the forums which resulted in making enemies in RL. The best advice I can give you is not gonna be what you want to hear, it's just how it is.

Be safe when on the internet. Never inquire about puppies from RL breeders unless you really can have the dog. No breeder will ever give a puppy to a kid without talking to the parents. The breeders you make angry by making them think they are selling a puppy and then find out it's a kid that is wasting their time know all the other breeders in their breed and will tell them this kid is just a bother. When your parents do decide they want to get you a puppy, all the breeders in the breed you want won't even talk to you about getting a puppy. They think you are just some kid wasting time.

Until it is time to purchase a puppy the absolute best way to spend your internet time is to research, research, research! Use this time to find out this very important info.

What breed is perfect for you?
How do you groom this breed?
Do you know this breed's breed standard backwards and forwards?
What health clearances does this breed need?
Where do you get these done?
What is the proper way to feed this breed?
Find a handful of reputable breeders. Make a list. When it's time for a puppy, you have breeders to choose from.

I know I went a little overboard with my post. I'm a rambler.lol
 Sylence
Basic User

Basic User
12/25/2010 3:05:36 PM reply with quote send message to Sylence Object to Post

posted by AmazingDixie
Now that I have grown up, I know how to go about "internet communication". It comes with age.
I resent that comment. laugh :D
I am 12 (yes I said it, gasp!) and certainly hope I don't come across like this 11 year old in ANY of my posts. shocked 8O

Dad used to monitor my internet actions, checking sites I visited and putting several off limits. He set punishment rules and if I was caught on a site I wasn't allowed on, I would get punished. For the most part, I respected his rules and because of it, he has given me some free reign in where I can go and what I can do online now. He still checks it, especially the website history, but I usually just hit Showdog and eBay. laugh :D

Too bad the 11 year old's parents aren't the same as mine. I personally think thats what this comes down to, parenting.

Not dissing on anyones parents, but for underage folks like myself, and the 11 year old, it comes right down to being limited in what you do online by your parents. I'll be the first to admit, my parents DO in fact know more than I do. laugh :D laugh :D I kinda hate to admit it, but hey!

My parents taught me to talk to others as I expect to be spoken to. I snap at someone, I can expect them to snap back at me. I disrespect someone, they do it to me. I don't like it, so I don't do it.

Yeah I have my bad days, and sometimes I do say things I regret. You can't take back things you say, and things you say can hurt people. You can apologize, sure, but trust is usually bruised.

So yeah, what I'm saying is if a 12 year old can act online with some manners, I'm sure an 11 year old can to.

Bottom line... do unto others. wink ;)

Now whos the rambler? laugh :D

Liam

P.S. I wanted to add that it might also come down to schooling. Perhaps this 11 year old attends Public school? I have been homeschooled my entire life, so that could be the clencher. I can't act out towards teachers away from my parents... they ARE my teachers! laugh :D
 AmazingDixie
Basic User

Basic User
12/26/2010 11:23:14 AM reply with quote send message to AmazingDixie Object to Post

You are 12?! Wow! I'm impressed! I was homeschooled when I got into middle school. You learn so much more and at a faster rate! Imo, homeschooling is the best option!
 Blue Ridge Farms
Basic User

Basic User
12/26/2010 2:21:08 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Ridge Farms Object to Post

I am homeschooled as well, and agree with everything said above.
When I first joined SD (on a different kennel a few months before this one), my parents monitered my time, etc., spent on SD, which was the best thing they could have done for me. I know when I first joined, I was a "slightly" immature 9 year old. I had to learn by trial and error that if you're not careful, you can make enemies on the forums very quickly. Maturity comes with age, and I've realized that over the past 5 years.

Liam, when I learned you were 12, I was surprised. You're one of the most - if not the most - mature twelve year old I know.

Blue Ridge

Replies in this thread : 37
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.