.com Forum · New Layout Discussion

Replies in this thread : 18

Author Topic : Quick Account Switching
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

System.__ComObject Forum Moderator
6/20/2013 4:56:57 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post   

I’ve added a new feature that we talked a bit about a few days ago only applying to family accounts. While working on it, I decided to expand it to all users.

new.showdog.com/users/flips.aspx

On that page you can add usernames that you want to have access to your account without having to login. It will save a substantial amount of time in the sign out > sign in process for users with multiple accounts. A person will theoretically be able to go to their sessions page and flip between their accounts to session all of their dogs without ever having to leave the page.

For example, let’s say I want to allow the staff account to have access to the admin account. I’d just type “staff” into the “Add Access” block. From then on, when logged in as staff, I’ll have the option to login to the admin account with just a quick click.

Right now, IT DOES NOT ACTUALLY LOG YOU IN. I want to work some more security issues with it to prevent abuse. I also have some setting up to do on the drop down box.

I’m putting this page up right now so you can start setting it up for your various accounts.

Please let me know of any questions you may have about it.
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2013 5:25:51 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

All you have to do is type in a name? Sounds a bit... Un safe!

Can't wait to hear additional details, this is such a good idea.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
6/20/2013 5:34:11 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

When you put the name in, that grants the other username access to the on you are on.
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2013 5:35:46 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

posted by admin
When you put the name in, that grants the other username access to the on you are on.
Oh! Alright, that makes much more sense.

For extra protection though, I think we should have to put the password in aswell.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

6/20/2013 5:47:26 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

You can only do it while you're already logged in.

If you are talking about forcing the other username to enter the password when switching to your account, that defeats the purpose of what it's meant to do.

That's most certainly a understandable reservation though and I wouldn't use this feature if I were in a situation where I was concerned about it.
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2013 6:10:16 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

posted by admin
You can only do it while you're already logged in.

If you are talking about forcing the other username to enter the password when switching to your account, that defeats the purpose of what it's meant to do.

That's most certainly a understandable reservation though and I wouldn't use this feature if I were in a situation where I was concerned about it.

No, that is not what I mean.

Let's say I'm on my other kennel and I'm entering the username "Everkai" so I can access the kennel I'm on with Everkai. I enter Everkai, but I should also have to enter the password just that once. If it makes sense. It's not defeating the purpose, it's acting more of a protection. I don't mean logging in.

If it still doesn't make sense I can try to explain it better.
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/20/2013 6:47:40 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

LOVE this idea. Makes it easier for me to access where I need to.
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2013 7:11:42 PM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Oops posted wrong thread but love this idea too.

-----
Last edited by Purrs_Port on 6/20/2013 7:14:11 PM
 Sea Charmer
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2013 7:52:50 PM reply with quote send message to Sea Charmer Object to Post

Sorry... I don't quite understand. I went to my "Family Management" kennel and granted access to my other kennels.... now how do I switch between them?
 Ravenscroft Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/20/2013 8:06:32 PM reply with quote send message to Ravenscroft Kennels Object to Post

I am not liking this feature at all! Not only do the kennels on my shared family account show up but so do my friend's family accounts just because she logged into her kennels on my computer. I know the basis of the game remains unchanged ie buy or breed a dog, session it, show it but it is like playing a completely different game.
 Everkai
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2013 9:14:01 PM reply with quote send message to Everkai Object to Post

posted by Ravenscroft Kennels
I am not liking this feature at all! Not only do the kennels on my shared family account show up but so do my friend's family accounts just because she logged into her kennels on my computer. I know the basis of the game remains unchanged ie buy or breed a dog, session it, show it but it is like playing a completely different game.
This is why I said we need to have password protection too.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

6/20/2013 10:18:52 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

(the caps are only to emphasis aspects of it)

Ravenscroft Kennels, they show up as options to add them, they DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR ACCOUNT.

If you do nothing with it, NOBODY WILL HAVE ACCESS TO ANYTHING. You have to actually add a username to give them access to your account. If you do nothing, nothing will happen and nobody will have access to your account.

The list of associated usernames is only there so that the users who would like to quickly set this up can do so quickly.

What could I do to make that more clear on the page?

In addition, I'm not sure what the password aspect of it changes anything about Ravenscroft's complaint.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

6/20/2013 10:23:39 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Just want to emphasis one more time that if you do not do anything on that page, nothing at all happens to your account and nobody has access to it.

It's not something you have to opt out of or even care one bit about if you don't want to use it.

This is being done solely because several users have said that the trouble with switching between their accounts was the main reason they are against the new layout.
 Rosemont
Basic User

Basic User
6/22/2013 2:43:35 AM reply with quote send message to Rosemont Object to Post

I have tried to use this feature but I am getting the "This website encountered an unexpected problem error" message. Has it been removed?
 Winterhaven Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/22/2013 9:17:48 AM reply with quote send message to Winterhaven Kennels Object to Post

I really like this idea overall, I get annoyed logging in & out, in & out & in & out of my accounts lol. At least the new layout has some good features. Now if any one can help me get used to the new look...that would be great happy :)
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
6/22/2013 12:14:38 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I like the idea of it.

But do have a question, what would happen if I typed in another persons user name? would I then be able to switch from my kennel to theres and cause trouble? or would both kennel names need to have the other kennel name on there list for it to work? so in the above sanerio they could swich to mine but I couldn't swich into theres if they don't add my kennel name to there list?
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
6/22/2013 12:19:31 PM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

I LOVE it, Jeff! Thanks for listening happy :)
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
6/22/2013 10:02:04 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

HMMM ... I can't get the site to open, either. But LOVE the concept!! Thank you, Jeff
 Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
6/22/2013 10:37:10 PM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

posted by admin
Right now, IT DOES NOT ACTUALLY LOG YOU IN. I want to work some more security issues with it to prevent abuse. I also have some setting up to do on the drop down box.

<div> not working yet, Jeff's still working on the settings.

-----
Last edited by Purrs_Port on 6/22/2013 10:38:18 PM

Replies in this thread : 18

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.