Search

.com Forum · American Water Spaniel

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Colour
 Fox River AWS
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/23/2008 4:56:36 PM reply with quote send message to Fox River AWS Object to Post   

Ok- so our breed SEEMS simple enough- but its not for those that dont know the breed personally rofl

Color
Color either solid liver, brown or dark chocolate. A little white on toes and chest permissible
from the American Kennel Club standard.

Ok- now we have to find the color inheritance chart and think up some percentages. As this breed isnt recognised in my country- and Ive never seen one in the flesh- Im not a good judge of that lol

Robyn
 Venetian AWS
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2008 8:38:49 PM reply with quote send message to Venetian AWS Object to Post

Lol. Sadly, I've seen them at shows but honestly know nothing about them. I didnt even know they came in more the one color...

Hopefully someone will be able to help us out...

Lis
 paw prints
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2008 9:18:56 PM reply with quote send message to paw prints Object to Post

Sorry, I can't be of any help. If it wasn't for TV Dog Show I wouldn't have even seen one. Read the AKC Standard but it just says what colors are allowed. Haven't seen anywhere where it says which colors are more predominet.
 Alizarin
Basic User

Basic User
7/24/2008 5:53:37 PM reply with quote send message to Alizarin Object to Post

I would help but I also have no idea. No experience with the breed in real life or anything...any google searches turn up results?

Ash
 Marchen Terriers
Basic User

Basic User
8/3/2008 11:59:17 PM reply with quote send message to Marchen Terriers Object to Post

This is not 100% genetically accurate, but will work well for the purposes of the game.

B Locus
bb - Brown

C Locus
CC - Dark
Ccch - Medium
cchcch - Light

Dark Chocolate
bbCC

Brown
bbCcch

Liver
bbcchcch

I would probably divide the colors evenly between starter dogs for simplicity.

Offspring
Dark x Dark = Dark pups
Dark x Brown = Dark and Brown
Dark x Liver = Brown
Brown x Brown = Dark, Brown, and Liver
Brown x Liver = Brown and Liver
Liver x Liver = Liver

So if you want to breed for color, Browns would be best to have in your kennel because they have the ability to produce all shades.
 Marchen Terriers
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2008 12:04:50 AM reply with quote send message to Marchen Terriers Object to Post

One thing to note is that in Goldens, we have almost the exact same color model. (We also vary at the C gene) And we set our percentages at 33/34/33. However, we had been blindly breeding a lot of Darks to each other, and as you can see by the information I posted above, that results in only Dark pups. So we ended up with all darks in our kennels. So do not be disappointed if you do end up with all one shade. Unfortunately, since we did not have color before we have NO idea what we have been breeding. So no matter what you set your percentages at, you really can't tell what you will end up with in your kennel. Even if you set Brown very high, you could have still been breeding their Dark or Liver offspring to each other, which would result in only Dark or Liver offspring, which could still end up giving you only one color.

Example:

Starter dogs Brown and Brown, produce Dark, Brown, and Liver
Another kennel also started with Brown and Brown and had Darks, Browns, and Livers
However, in their next breeding, they chose to breed a Dark to a Dark. This would only produce Darks. The other kennel could have done the same thing, resulting in only Darks. They then breed a dark to another dark, resulting in yet more darks. At this point, your population is already majority Dark. Thus you have limited studs to choose from, so you end up breeding darks to darks. And so on and so forth....

So do not dwell too long on the percentages.
 Fox River AWS
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2008 4:38:15 PM reply with quote send message to Fox River AWS Object to Post

I would say a
Brown 16.67
Liver 16.67
Chocolate 16.67
I think this would give an even break up and a better chance of a better distribution of colours
Ill email all the breeders to post opinions now- everyone say yes or no when posting.

Robyn
 Marchen Terriers
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2008 7:33:10 PM reply with quote send message to Marchen Terriers Object to Post

16.67 x 3 is only 50.01 percent.

If you want to divide them evenly it would be:
33.33 for each or do as Goldens did and do 33/34/33.
 Venetian AWS
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2008 3:13:18 PM reply with quote send message to Venetian AWS Object to Post

I'll be happy with what ever percentage everyone thinks is best.
The even distribution works for me. 33/34/33....

Lis
 Alizarin
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2008 5:10:36 PM reply with quote send message to Alizarin Object to Post

33/34/33 sounds fine to me too.

It'll be interesting to see if we end up with one predominant color like the Goldens, haha. It'll be another challenge, anyways wink ;)

Ash
 Spellcraft Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/5/2008 10:04:29 PM reply with quote send message to Spellcraft Kennel Object to Post

This sounds like a simple and good way to do the color gentics for the breed. I am also fine with whatever everyone decides is the most accurate happy :)
 Venetian AWS
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2008 8:29:49 PM reply with quote send message to Venetian AWS Object to Post

Ok... so it looks like we've agreed. Or at least those of us who are most active....

B Locus
bb - Brown

C Locus
CC - Dark
Ccch - Medium
cchcch - Light

Dark Chocolate
bbCC

Brown
bbCcch

Liver
bbcchcch

I would probably divide the colors evenly between starter dogs for simplicity.

Offspring
Dark x Dark = Dark pups
Dark x Brown = Dark and Brown
Dark x Liver = Brown
Brown x Brown = Dark, Brown, and Liver
Brown x Liver = Brown and Liver
Liver x Liver = Liver

with a 33/34/33 distribution of color...dark/brown/liver....

Lis

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.