Search

.com Forum · Redbone Coonhound

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Question...
 BAR-K-Ranch
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/26/2007 3:07:26 PM reply with quote send message to BAR-K-Ranch Object to Post   

Will someone who has done a lot of source breeding look at what I have? Im trying to breed out red in Gen 1 Orange in Gen 2 and so on... Just curious... I noticed my sopd arent as high as other kennels
 Blessedborne
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2007 3:27:29 PM reply with quote send message to Blessedborne Object to Post

Well, there are quite a few kennels who have bitches better than 50% SOP while yours are in the 40s. Also, you bred to starters #3 (49.5/57.5) and #9 (59.5/67), while a lot of people are using #6 (76/72.5). That's not wrong. I just bred several to #9 myself. But if you are going for high SOP, the higher the parents, generaly, the higher the pup.

BAR-K-Ranch
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2007 9:32:13 PM reply with quote send message to BAR-K-Ranch Object to Post

Thank you! I appriciate it! happy :)
 meadow sweet
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2007 1:36:06 AM reply with quote send message to meadow sweet Object to Post

I know how you feel. I think mine are still really low. MY starter bitch was WAY WAY LOW in everything...nothing blue...not even close! I had 1 litter and kept 2, just had another letter 2 days ago...hope this one is better...it is very discouraging.

All of the advise that I have gotten is to stict with it and it will get better.

Good luck
 Blessedborne
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2007 2:13:37 AM reply with quote send message to Blessedborne Object to Post

Meadow Sweet - If you're concerned your original bitch was too low, you might look in other kennels and find a couple of source bitches that make you think, "I wish I'd gotten that one". Then check if the bitch is being bred and contact the owner about buying a puppy. A lot of very good pups are going unsold. Grandparents still have a lot of influence on a pup's outcome, especially this early in the generations. It's a great way to add a good bitch to your genetic line - unless you are determined to keep your line pure.

Norge
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2007 3:33:25 AM reply with quote send message to Norge Object to Post

Hang in there. There are so many hidden factors in these unknown source dogs that we aren't going to know what is happening.

Many of our "good ones" are "flyers" (they won't be able to reproduce themselves.

The best starter bitch breeder in Norge is the fourth in SOP order. The second best was far lower than that and I sold her her litter settled.

This breed won't "arrive" in another generation or two. Try not to worry about how far ahead someone else is....(I keep telling myself...lol) The race is not to the swift. Many of our best kennels will not stay for the long haul.

Robbie
 Wild Magic Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2007 9:11:57 AM reply with quote send message to Wild Magic Kennels Object to Post

Bite your tongue Robbie..lol. Our best kennels better stay for the long haul..lol.

Star*Gems
 Blessedborne
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2007 11:39:49 AM reply with quote send message to Blessedborne Object to Post

Well, no, they won't be able to reproduce themselves. That's because all those generic "source dog"s in their pedigrees are holding them back. But as the Gen 0s become the grandparents and greatgrans they will influnce their grandchildren.

Why council someone to "hang on" with a bitch they aren't comfortable with? If your instincts are telling you something is wrong - something is wrong and it's time to look for a solution. Thoughtfully, consideringly, but the time is now.

And yes, we will loose breeders as some people find that they don't care for source breeding or just move on in their Real Life. All the more reason to have their best bitches in my genetic line to my way of thinking.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.