Search

.com Forum · Redbone Coonhound

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Lets try something...
 Baritone
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/23/2007 11:37:54 PM reply with quote send message to Baritone Object to Post   

As soon as everyone is ready, everyone should pick a specific buhund stat.Tht way, there are dogs that if there is a weaknwss in someones lines, they can breed to a stud with a 10 in that trait. Then, everyone can mix and we can have all around goo buhunds happy :)

eiether post your stat, or say what you think. Another breed has done this, as long as they dont think we are copying, we should too happy :)

BaRRs
 Blessedborne
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2007 1:26:07 AM reply with quote send message to Blessedborne Object to Post

I'm working on three stats: Coat, Size, and Temp.

My first litters will be settling today. Can't wait to see how they turn out. happy :)

Wild Magic Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2007 11:26:27 AM reply with quote send message to Wild Magic Kennels Object to Post

I don't work on just one stat I work on general all around even dog. Right now the only thing I'm working on is getting red out of dogs. once red is out I'll then work on getting green out. That is how I have always done my starter lines and for the most part my lines are pretty even.

Star*Gems
 Deep Water
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2007 11:57:19 AM reply with quote send message to Deep Water Object to Post

Same here. Trying to get the red out rather than working on one stat although I keep the highest show shine ones and try to bring that up as well.
Bit short of time at the moment since we lost the internet at work last week sad :( so although I'm still active in the breed I may not be posting much.
 Emerald Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2007 5:06:06 PM reply with quote send message to Emerald Meadows Object to Post

I'm working on overall and individual traits. The ones I'm starting with are SS, FQ and Coat
 Raistlins
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2007 5:48:22 PM reply with quote send message to Raistlins Object to Post

I'm also working on overall stats and trying to keep an eye open to what may be weak or strong stats in my dogs. It's my opinion (though Lord knows I've been wrong and will be wrong again) that it's a little early to pick specific traits to work on. The numbers are just too random right now. I've bred dogs with 10's in the same trait and all of the resulting pups have had 20's in those areas. It's happened to me more than once *shrug*
 Wild Magic Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2007 6:57:02 PM reply with quote send message to Wild Magic Kennels Object to Post

You're right about that Raist. Like I said earlier I have done a lot of breeding up from starters and untill you get usually anywhere from 6mo to a year into it (depending on how often you breed) the stats are just way to random to get anywhere just concentrating on one stat. Ya really got to work on the over all dog at first, later on then you see were the strong and weak areas are then you know what to work with.

Star*Gems
 rockymountain
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2007 11:46:08 PM reply with quote send message to rockymountain Object to Post

OK Star Gems/anyone else who posted happy :) Maybe Ill wait and bring this up later when buunds are better happy :) I hadnt thoght of that
 rockymountain
Basic User

Basic User
3/24/2007 11:47:03 PM reply with quote send message to rockymountain Object to Post

oops wrong kennel... ^that be Baritone

Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2007 2:23:17 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

I've also done a little source breeding. I'm just finishing my Gen 1 breedings in Kismetborne now. Yes, the stats are wild but that doesn't nessesarily mean that it isn't worth breeding toward individual stats. I picked the three stats that I'm breeding toward because each of the three highest SOP source bitches I have access to has blue in all three of those stats. Those three bitches will influence their gen 2 granddaughters whether their gen 1 mothers have that blue or not. And the gen 1s may not. It makes sense to me to support what I see as a very clear indicator of where I'm likely to excel. Not everyone has that clear marker.

But there are other reasons to pick stats early. For instance someone was concerned about FQ being weak. Concentrating on that stat may be lucrative in the future for that person if FQ is discovered to actually be weak. I see Coat as a potential weakness in the breed. Having the remedy for that weakness in my kennel may pay off in stud fees - eventually - if it turns out I'm right.

That isn't to say that we shouldn't be concentrating on the overall score. Definately we should. And I do. But a strategy involving individual stats is just as valid as one concentrating strictly on SOP. But you will be welcome to prove me wrong in the showring in about four generations. Part of my strategy is to not show for that long. I'd rather spend my money on stud fees than show fees this early in the breeding. wink :)
 Blessedborne
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2007 2:32:04 AM reply with quote send message to Blessedborne Object to Post

That's me above. I wish the system didn't kick me out quite so often.

Also wanted to add that it can be helpful to know who is working on what. I've already had people offer me a couple of dogs because they know I'm working on Coat. Helps me out - puts money in their pockets. Win / Win. happy :)

Norge
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2007 6:40:00 AM reply with quote send message to Norge Object to Post

I agree with Raistlins. I am happier about my one stud that is all green than I am about ones that have 2 or 3 blues.

Robbie
 Wild Magic Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2007 11:13:07 AM reply with quote send message to Wild Magic Kennels Object to Post

This is one of the things I love about this game and particular about this group of breeders. Everyone can have their own strategy and still win..lol. And thankfully in this group so far we can discuss those different strategies and even though we may not agree we don't argue. Once again you guys make me proud to be a part of Buhunds. Those of you working on individual traits have just as valid of a strategy as those of us that are working on a well evened dog. When we run into touble spots you guys will be the ones we goto to find that trait we are having a problem with. And when you guys are in need of evening out the lines we'll have the pedgriees that will help you do that. It's a win win situation for all of us.

Star*Gems
 Raistlins
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2007 12:10:40 PM reply with quote send message to Raistlins Object to Post

posted by Wild Magic Kennels
When we run into touble spots you guys will be the ones we goto to find that trait we are having a problem with. And when you guys are in need of evening out the lines we'll have the pedgriees that will help you do that. It's a win win situation for all of us.

Star*Gems

Well said!
 Blessedborne
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2007 12:58:45 PM reply with quote send message to Blessedborne Object to Post

posted by Wild Magic Kennels
When we run into touble spots you guys will be the ones we goto to find that trait we are having a problem with. And when you guys are in need of evening out the lines we'll have the pedgriees that will help you do that. It's a win win situation for all of us.

Star*Gems

Agreed! And thank you. happy :)
 Norge
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2007 6:24:24 PM reply with quote send message to Norge Object to Post

Amen Star*Gems

Robbie
 rockymountain
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2007 9:30:50 PM reply with quote send message to rockymountain Object to Post

happy :)happy :)happy :)

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.