Search

.com Forum · Off Topic Forum

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : What do you think?
 Fire_Soul
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/14/2014 1:21:10 AM reply with quote send message to Fire_Soul Object to Post   

I got a new dog the other day and it was already neutered and he is as sweet as can be. Well, I swear that he is a spitz mix. I don't know with what, but i do know the spitz part. Well, my sister started saying she wants a dog of her own. My dog isn't but barely a year old. My stepdad summons me out of my room and says what do you think of getting rid of my dog and getting two puppies, around the same age. That way we don't have to worry about anything happening. We settled on keeping the dog though. We are only getting one puppy. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of puppy my sister should get?

My sister likes to lay around and be comfortable all the time. She likes to have friends over and she loves cats, strangely enough. Is there any dog that will suit her? Please tell me. My stepdad wants a German Shepard, but I told him that it was to athletic for our family. lol. Anyways, please help! <3

(soooo of topic XD please, no mean stuff)
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/14/2014 1:50:48 AM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

All dogs need exercise and mental and physical stimulation. The nice thing about cats is that they can lie around and be comfortable all day, like your sister.

Is your sister willing to feed, groom, clean up after, socialize, and exercise her dog?

I would choose a breed that is not from the terrier, working, sporting, or hound group. Choose a breed with low activity level that is not difficult to train. Some of the smaller dogs have bigger attitudes though.

I feel like you should get your sister to share some of the responsibilities of your dog to see if she really wants her own. Let the dog grow into itself a bit.

It saddens me that your dad would think about getting rid of your current dog and replace it with two puppies. Introducing a new puppy in an established home with another dog is easier than raising two well mannered, healthy puppies. When you buy two puppies, they attach to each other and look to each other for comfort, love, and the same coming from humans is just bonus.

You can post in Real Life Show Dogs but don't say anything about that. Say what sort of energy level you're looking for, grooming requirements, trainability, and size, and people will answer.

Fire_Soul
Basic User

Basic User
1/15/2014 9:15:42 PM reply with quote send message to Fire_Soul Object to Post

my dog got out of the fence so now we have to get two puppies.

it breaks my heart to see that the stray we took of the street and out of danger is now exactly where he started. and my dad said that if he stays around, he will shoot him

i cant stand to see animals hurt... i will help it if i can. im the youngest vet i believe there is. it pains me to know that my dad would stoop down that low... and thank you.

we are getting my friend's puppies. the are corgi mix and chihuahua puppies. the corgi's mom was a blue heeler so i believe they might be energetic. but they might be like their mom and just stay calm, until someone comes in the house XD
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/17/2014 6:40:01 AM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

Are you joking? Your dog got out of the fence so now you're getting those two puppies?

Your family shouldn't have dogs if your dad would shoot your family pet for "hanging around."

Look, I don't know your situation but what you are saying sounds not only dysfunctional but like your family isn't ready to provide a good home to a dog, nevermind two dogs at once.

Like I said in my previous post, when two dogs grow up together, it makes it much more difficult to get those dogs to behave, be socialized, or trained because they will look to each other for companionship, not the humans specifically, unless you are prepared to separate them and separately train and socialize them, which I doubt will happen.

Make your dad read my previous post.

Fix the fence or don't get a dog at all. It is your guys' responsibility to keep your dog in a secure home environment, socialize, and train.

Not only is your dad "stooping low" by saying he will shoot the dog, but he can also be charged with animal cruelty.

You should not have two puppies if you can't take care of one and would so quickly decide to get puppies to replace your family pet. Puppies are messy and need to be calmy, patiently taught how to behave, and who is to say these won't get out of the fence and become strays?
 Fire_Soul
Basic User

Basic User
1/19/2014 8:33:24 PM reply with quote send message to Fire_Soul Object to Post

I know how to take care of a dog. We will fix the fence and do many other repairs. I know I have frustrated you, and I am sorry. I do understand.

My dad said that he agrees with your previous post. He said he will try to calm down and not shoot the dog. He promises he will not hurt another dog.

I am sorry. I should've posted this. I should have figure it out by myself. I am sorry for any anger I caused you. I hope you forgive me. I am sorry, but I do not handle bad responses to my family. He was just kidding. I didn't know when I posted this. I dearly apologize.

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.