.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Learning to show at home
 Reina*
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/19/2016 9:36:35 PM reply with quote send message to Reina* Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hello everyone. My question is: Do you have a book or DVD you would recommend that teaches how to learn to stack your dog, gait, and present it properly in show?

Thank you. I appreciate your recommendations and input!

-----
Last edited by Reina* on 8/24/2016 8:14:27 PM
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
1/20/2016 12:54:48 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

Im not aware of any books or dvds but there are a fair amount of videos available online-id try searching breed specific and asking your pups breeder to advise you and possibly skype with them while practicing so they can help teach you happy :)
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
1/20/2016 12:58:39 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

Talk to your breeder and attend some dog shows in your area. If you go to infordog.com, click on shows, click on state, they will come up. When the show is about a week out, your can find out what time your breed is being judged so you can attend to watch what you need to know
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/20/2016 3:52:29 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

For the link from tizzy above, it's actually www.infodog.com - they're mostly Midwest shows.

I have several books on showing/handling.

These are a few of my favorites:
Best in Show, Bo Bengston
Showing your Dog: A Beginner's Guide, Elaine Everest
Show Me!: A Dog Show Primer, D. Caroline Coile
The Winning Edge: Show Ring Secrets, George Alston
 Reina*
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2016 5:39:21 AM reply with quote send message to Reina* Object to Post

Thank you very much for the recommendations!
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2016 5:45:39 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Astoria's suggestions were great. Definitely second all of those books.

Once you get your boy, I'd also do a google search to see if there are handling classes/clinics in your area. When I was first starting out, I found three different weekly classes within 30-40 minutes of my home, and they were far and away the most useful things I did. Moreso than the reading, although that absolutely helped. This will help you both, so that the atmosphere doesn't feel brand new and overwhelming once you enter a real show.

Prior to entering those shows, search on akc.org and find some B matches. Those are practice shows that are run just like a regular show, but the points and placements don't "count," they're just great practice for the real thing.

Edited because I reread and realized he wasn't exactly a puppy anymore, but a young dog.

-----
Last edited by ShoStopper on 1/23/2016 5:48:27 PM
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2016 10:23:01 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

Show Me! A Dog Show Primer is a great book. I read it cover to cover multiple times and still refer to it when I start to handle a new dog/breed. I would really recommend it.
 Valley oak
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2016 10:49:42 PM reply with quote send message to Valley oak Object to Post

infodog.com is the main portal for all shows....its nationwide :P

Also, I would suggest talking to your breeder and possibly googling your breed and looking for show videos/photos or finding a popular show kennel Facebook page that has a lot of media posted....the reason is that you can see exactly how you are supposed to present that breed! I show aussies and there are different things we try to emphasize and present versus other breeds happy :)

To train a dog to stack they do sell different tools, all with the basic idea that the dog stands on them and learns the stance and gets a reward. I however prefer to use a clicker and teach them the stand command then click...then progress to making them stand longer and longer before clicking....then I will use a treat to "move" their body...if you control the head you control the rest right? When they are in a fairly square position I click.....then reward for more and more precise stacking.

I also have another suggestion.....for the exam portion where they check the mouth I have a GREAT amount of success practicing this at every meal! I simply put food down....hand stack them and then open the mouth and show the bite...run my hand over their shoulders and back and then feel the testicles or touch the hind end...then they get to eat the big jackpot...all of my dogs by 4 months old are bombproof for this behavior and it makes it so easy!!

super excited for you, if you are going to be doing owner handler showing in AKC (super fun) then I would suggest showing at an IABCA show or a fun match in your area first (info dog has a menu to search fun match shows)....all levels present and there is less pressure and polish at these shows :P
 Tit For Tat Two
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2016 8:42:46 AM reply with quote send message to Tit For Tat Two Object to Post

Probably one of the best things you can do is to registered your puppy with the United Kennel Club and take him to show there to begin with. The shows are all over the country as well as overseas. You can enter on the same day of the show. The judges REALLY ENJOY teaching the newbies in showing dogs and they take a lot of time teaching them. The shows are generally small, minus the HUGE Premier show. I believe their web is ukcdogs.org. Check them out. also consider speaking with breeders in your community for help. Most enjoy working with kids, I know we sure did, even though we showed in both venues, we always started the kids out at the UKC shows.
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/26/2016 1:28:01 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I second attending UKC shows and get lots of tips from judges and exhibitors. Also there is a great series on youtube by Will Alexander called dog show tips, here is a link to the first one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CYM6qIlOUdM

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.