Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Showing a Great Pyr
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/31/2016 12:26:02 PM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hi all,

This year, I will be (hopefully) be showing my grandmother's Great Pyrenees, Kenai, in Junior Showmanship at the State Fair if all goes according to plan. Although I've done Junior Showmanship and Conformation with my Border Collie before, I have no idea to begin with this breed. I also haven't done any conformation in awhile since my main focus has been agility, so any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Cassie

-----
Last edited by Hearts Ablaze on 7/31/2016 12:27:46 PM
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2016 5:27:48 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Would you be able to attend some local AKC shows with the dog's breeder to get a good start in the the breed itself and how to showcase it to advantage? One of the most important things in juniors is your "turnout" and presentation. When you attend the AKC shows, check out how the winning Junior handlers are dressed.

-----
Last edited by Tizzy Too on 7/31/2016 5:29:47 PM
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2016 9:58:14 PM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post

He's actually not from a breeder, we found him as a stray and got him checked for a chip, put up signs, but no one has claimed him so far. Poor guy was starving when we found him, could feel all his ribs and when we gave him a a bath coud see the, too. He looks full-blooded though, so as long as his owner doesn't show up he has a home.

There's a good chance I probably could if I could find some locally. Also, do you think taking him to a conformation class would be a good idea? He's very friendly and has a good temperament.As far as types of show leads and collars go, what should I get for him? Supposing nobody claims him, of course.

(The vet is coming tomorrow and he will be getting his shots, neutered, check-up, etc.)

Thanks again,
Cassie
 Tit For Tat Two
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2016 8:20:13 AM reply with quote send message to Tit For Tat Two Object to Post

I was a Great Pyrenees breeder and we used to mentor young kids wanting to learn how to show their dogs. The problem you are going to hit trying to show in AKC or UKC is that you need to register the dog from KNOWN parents who are registered. There is a club called Mixed Breed Clubs of America, you may want to check them out. Does your dog have the trademark double dewclaws on the hind legs and the single dew claw on the front. These should never be removed, you can't show them if they are. If I can help you more feel free the private message me.
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2016 9:49:26 PM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Thanks, I know that I wouldn't be able to show him in AKC or UKC. Probably would be just a one time thing for the State Fair since this will be my last year in 4-H. Like I said before, this wouldn't be my first time showing a dog. happy :) And yes, he does have the double dew claws and I'll try and post a pic once I get a decent one. Vet sad he was a purebred great pyr.

Thanks,
Cassie

-----
Last edited by Hearts Ablaze on 9/4/2016 9:50:03 PM

-----
Last edited by Hearts Ablaze on 9/4/2016 9:51:31 PM
 pandysplace
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2016 12:51:15 PM reply with quote send message to pandysplace Object to Post

There is no way to tell for sure that he is purebred. Many farm-bred Pyrs are bred with other breeds, such as the Kuvasz, for more specific guarding traits.
If you are ever interested in doing more with the Pyr, you can get an ILP number from the AKC to do events,but it does not allow for conformation (although I am not sure about juniors). You will need to send in photos yo show why you suspect it is purebred.

pandysplace
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2016 12:51:29 PM reply with quote send message to pandysplace Object to Post

The mixed breed dog club allows for conformation of both pure and mix breeds, but they must be neutered.

As for showing in 4-h, I am not sure what their breeds requirements are, but I do know that juniors have different rules in 4-h than in AKC. So learning from AKC people might count against you in a 4-h ring.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.