Search

.com Forum · Obedience Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Questions on training for obedience
 Chenoa Valley
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/13/2016 1:57:22 PM reply with quote send message to Chenoa Valley Object to Post   

I've never done obedience trials before in SD. I figured now that I'm working on a source project that I could maybe try to train some of them for obedience. Can source dogs be trained for obedience? Does their extremely low SOP affect their ability to qualify? Do they have to be trained in Show Obedience, Muscle Tone, and Coat Condition first before working on the top row of Obedience skills?
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2016 6:40:26 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

I've shown source dogs in obedience in another kennel. Show Obedience does seem to have an effect on obedience, I haven't noticed that the others have or have not. You can work everything up together if you have the sessions for it. Don't bother entering until you have obedience stats fully trained for what ever level you are on.
 LeJardin
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2016 8:31:06 PM reply with quote send message to LeJardin Object to Post

When I did a search of the forum for the question - the responses I found were that Condition and Show Obedience should be trained to 20.
(Show Obedience = Stand for Exam)
Coat Condition & Muscle Tone can be at 0

I would assume that source and current SOP are on equal ground in Obedience, BUT I did see a post from 2005-2006ish that indicated that dogs with good Temperament traits did better in Obedience than dogs with a poor Temperament trait.

Whether that is true or not, I can't say - but if it is true - current SOP dogs will have a better Temperament than a source dog.

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.