Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Excessive Drool
 Hearts Ablaze
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/14/2016 8:57:08 AM reply with quote send message to Hearts Ablaze Object to Post   

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there's any way to control excessive drooling, especially in big dogs. I show a Great Pyr with an incredible drooling problem.

Thanks!
Cassie
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2016 9:51:12 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I'm not much help

I do know you usually see handlers carrying a drool rag with them for the 'slobbery' breeds.
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2016 10:28:29 AM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

The Newfie and Saint people have bibs on their dogs
 Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
11/14/2016 10:47:04 AM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

I used to show a SUPER drooly saint. Get a couple of big dog bibs, so you can swap out wet ones for dry ones. Carry around a towel and whenever the dog lays down, cover the legs with the towel to keep him/her from getting drool on their legs. You can also buy or make "leg savers" like these ones:

https://id3473.securedata.net/inflightcoatformula.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=13

Basically, you're going to have to rely on a physical barrier to prevent drool from getting all over. Most people also carry a washcloth or hand towel to use as a drool rag, and dry the dog's mouth (inside the lips too) before you go into the ring. I also found that if the dog will bait for something other than food, that helps too. I found food bait = more drool, and if they would bait for a toy, sometimes the toy can do double duty and soak up some drool. XD

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.