Search

.com Forum · Canadian Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Calgary Stampede/Rodeo
 A K Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/7/2006 8:13:25 PM reply with quote send message to A K Kennel Object to Post   

Has anyone been to the Calgary Stampede/Rodeo? I 've been to the Cheyenne Rodeo in Wyoming and that is supposed to be the second largest, but my home town rodeo almost had it beat (and I live in a small town). I heard that the Calgary one is the biggest, so can someone tell me a little bit about it. And has anyone been to the West Edmonton Mall, if you have what is fun there? Just wanting a little info for my trip. Anything would help, thanks!
A K Kennel
 Trident
Basic User

Basic User
4/11/2006 2:54:25 AM reply with quote send message to Trident Object to Post

First off I would skip West Ed mall, it is old now and expensive, a three hour drive from calgary.

I would rather do:
Banff/Lake Louise
Two small towns in a national park in the mountains about 1.5 hours from Calgary, very pretty, lots of wildlife, lakes, hiking, neat old hotels and touristy things to do. Look it up on the net.

Drumheller
Is a farther drive than Banff(3+ hours?), the Royal Tyrell Dinosaur museum is here, it is huge, this is also where they find all the dinosaur bones. Very neat geograpy if you have never seen it, will be hot in summer.

Calgary Zoo
This is near downtown Calgary, is one of the nicest zoo's I have ever been too, and I have been too quite a few in the US. They have spent quite a few million rebuilding lots of enclosures.

Finally, the Stampede.
Yes it is big. You can spend three full days there if you wanted. I don't go a whole lot anymore as there are soooo many people and I have been lots before. I do occasionally go to watch the herding dogs and hitch competitions, some of the livestock shows. There are some pretty famous bands that put on free concerts too.The rodeo is top notch though, I am sure this will be nothing like your hometown rodeo, this is more like the NFR in Vegas but outside. Large prize money here so only the best come to compete.

Not sure how many days you will be staying but I would take someone from out of town to these places.
 A K Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2006 11:52:51 PM reply with quote send message to A K Kennel Object to Post

Thank you for all of the ideas! They all sound really interesting and fun. Im going on a FFA trip(I live in the US) and I just wanted to know a little more about some of the things that we will be doing in Canada, so thanks again for all of the fun ideas I will have to tell my FFA advisor about those ideas!
thanks!!!
A K Kennel
 Spazoid13
Basic User

Basic User
4/17/2006 1:29:58 PM reply with quote send message to Spazoid13 Object to Post

West Edmonton Mall is really nice and it doesnt have to be expensive...dont buy anything
 Trident
Basic User

Basic User
4/17/2006 3:40:53 PM reply with quote send message to Trident Object to Post

posted by Spazoid13
West Edmonton Mall is really nice and it doesnt have to be expensive...dont buy anything
I think everything there is expensive, the water park, the theme park, the rides, the stores... if you are not going to buy anything what is the point of going? And no offense, if I am travelling somewhere to another country the last thing I am going to do is drive three hours to go to a shopping mall.
 Black Swan Creek
Basic User

Basic User
4/23/2006 8:24:13 PM reply with quote send message to Black Swan Creek Object to Post

That "shopping mall" is probably one of the few places you can go where you can get practically everything you need without leaving the mall. It's attached to the fantasy land hotel, so if you go there for a weekend or some sort of vacation it's actually not a bad place to go. A friend of mine went there on her honeymoon, stayed for about 4 days and didn't have to leave the mall for ANYTHING.

BSC

P.S. And the calgary stampede is fun, but expensive as well, and they always put the Coke stage in a supremely dumb spot.
 foxy_cleopatra_
Basic User

Basic User
5/7/2006 11:51:07 PM reply with quote send message to foxy_cleopatra_ Object to Post

posted by Black Swan Creek
That "shopping mall" is probably one of the few places you can go where you can get practically everything you need without leaving the mall. It's attached to the fantasy land hotel, so if you go there for a weekend or some sort of vacation it's actually not a bad place to go. A friend of mine went there on her honeymoon, stayed for about 4 days and didn't have to leave the mall for ANYTHING.

BSC

P.S. And the calgary stampede is fun, but expensive as well, and they always put the Coke stage in a supremely dumb spot.

i am sorry but that mall is very run down! it is the only thing edmonton has in its city, since everything has moved to Calgary. The Stampede is one of the best experiences to go to. It is an amazing feeling to be part of the greatest outdoor show on earth! There is somethign for everyone! Make sure you hit all the rides you can as they are pretty awsome. Also buy passes ahead( before you get there) to save money as deals always end about a week before stampede starts. DON"T FORGET YOUR COWBOY BOOTS!! you want to fit in right? and lots of spending money because there is SOOO much!!!

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.