.com Forum · Canadian Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Service Dog
 Tryst
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/17/2007 10:01:50 AM reply with quote send message to Tryst Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I am coming up to Kitchener from the Detroit area with a service dog for shows in the end of May. Can anyone tell me what the laws are and where to find them? I really need her to be with me for medical reasons.

Jennifer
 cedarcreek
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2007 5:10:54 PM reply with quote send message to cedarcreek Object to Post

Service dogs are allowed to go anywhere, and I don't think that you have to pay for them to fly, or anything.
 Stag Mountain
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2007 10:20:31 AM reply with quote send message to Stag Mountain Object to Post

is she a pit or pit mix? if so you may have problems in Ontario ...
 Tryst
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2007 6:14:01 AM reply with quote send message to Tryst Object to Post

No. My service dog is Border Terrier. She is a medical alert dog and vital to me being able to attend these shows. I just want to make sure that I have an idea of what to expect. I know the laws here in the US that cover service dogs as I regularly have to point American business owners to them.

A restaurant that we go to all the time had the health department called on them & they initially told me that my dog wasn't allowed. They weren't familiar with the laws as I am in a smallish town & there are very few service dogs - I know of a few dogs in training but not another true working dog. I got them the info on the laws & they cleared up their problem. They were very pleased to learn about the laws and how they applied to them.

I have also had some issues with 2 hospitals near us. One that is normally great broke the law 3 times in one visit. The other is always a pain and I just avoid going there whenever possible.

I just need to know where I stand before I get there & have to deal with it happy :)

Jennifer

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.