Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Official photos
 krisk
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/18/2014 10:00:53 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post   

Finally received Bug and Seelie's official photos from their Futurity on the 1st of June.

Best of Opposite in Futurity Chilco's The Fuzz of Sunflower

And

Reserve Futurity Female Chilco's Ladybug of Sunflower

This was Seelie's third time in the ring, he was shown two days in April as a puppy (he had just turned a year old 2 weeks before his Futurity). And it was Bug's first time in the ring. I also get a thrill saying Bug was Breeder/Owner/Handled (she is also co-bred, co-owned with Sunflower Kennels, as is Seelie).

krisk
 ShoStopper
Basic User

Basic User
6/18/2014 10:06:51 PM reply with quote send message to ShoStopper Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Congratulations!

I can see why you are so thrilled; I want to give you special props for the breeder/owner/handler win, because that's not easy to do in the BEST of situations, but with a breed as intensely competitive as GSDs? Well, holy cow, what a nice win.

Looking forward to seeing these two youngsters continue to make you proud.

Edited to add:
Aaaaand then I saw it was her first time in the ring too. JAYSUS! Are you still floating around on Cloud Nine?

-----
Last edited by ShoStopper on 6/18/2014 10:08:44 PM
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/19/2014 1:02:04 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Congratulations! Your dogs are beautiful!

I know nothing about GSDs, but I was wondering if a certain coat "length" is preferred over another. I've seen (just out and about, never really looked at shows) some GSDs with a shorter/sleeker coat and others with a longer (or at least longer-looking) coat. Is one preferred over the other or are both acceptable in the ring?

-----
Last edited by Super Uber Kennels on 6/19/2014 1:05:12 AM
 krisk
Basic User

Basic User
6/19/2014 11:49:44 PM reply with quote send message to krisk Object to Post

Thanks, we are very proud of these guys. Bug and Seelie's sister Stamp was third behind Bug too. GSDs have the normal coat and long coat (recessive) gene. Now both types of coats can have a verying degree of length and fullness (also termed plush). Right now the long coat is a minor fault in the breed standard. But in the AKC they are trying to get it changed to being, the normal coat is prefered. This would make the long coat no longer a fault. More people recently have been showing their long coats.

Seelie is a long coat, Bug is a normal coat. Molly is also a normal coat, but her hair is a little longer than Bugs.

krisk
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2014 12:31:13 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

I thought Seelie's coat looked long compared to Bug's! Thanks for the info. So, I'm guessing that a litter can have both normal and long coats since the long is recessive?

Congrats again to you and your beautiful dogs! laugh :D

Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2014 6:37:35 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Yes, you can get both long and short coats in the same litter. Seelie was the only long coat in the litter (of 7), turns out he was also pick of the litter (in everyones book and by quite a long shot). So it was a given we would keep him, and why not go ahead and show him. His coat is only listed as a minor fault in the breed. Mainly due to the fact that, the long coat does not weather as well as a normal coat, and picks up more burrs and such (with their history as a herding dog). My first Champion (a multi group winner) had a major fault, as she was missing a molar (but she won on her attitude 9 times out of 10, she walked into a ring and owned it, that was just her personality).

Any way, back to Seelie. He is in fact the only long coat his sire has produced for us (out of 3 litters). His sire was bred before we got him, and I don't know if there was coats in any of those litters. So either Molly or Bug could carry the coat factor, or they both could not. You can DNA test for it. Seelie's mother also carried the coat gene (odviously) but that was not surprising, one of her grandmothers was a long coat.

krisk
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
6/20/2014 8:33:04 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

That's interesting. But its nice to see that they don't count off too much for that fault. I'd rather have a sound dog with s little extra coat, than an ok dog with a nice coat.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.