Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : When to start joint supplements for performance dogs?
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/2/2014 9:31:40 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post   

I have been told that glucosamine supplementation in puppies and young dogs can be harmful, and to wait until the dog is at least 2 years old. I want to know your guys's opinion on that, what's your personal experience?

I want to know when to start my little guy off. He's 9 months old and very active (I can't help it, he's a border collie) and I want to take every precaution I can to keep him happy and healthy for his future agility career.

Thanks happy :)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2014 10:49:04 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Harmful in what way? I'd want to hear something more solid than a rumor somebody thinks it can be harmful. A quick google search doesn't pull anything up, besides an uncited concern about cartilege overgrowth.

However, I found a LOT more info on people giving it to large breed puppies of all ages, so I imagine if there was solid evidence of harm, there would be more citations of harm and more people mentioning concerns of such on the various dog boards.

I believe rather strongly in starting joint supplements young. I've never had a dog under 2 though, so don't really have an opinion on when it is best to start- but my gut says 6 months or a year would be fine. And that waiting until 2 is unlikely to do much harm, except perhaps in dogs involved in activity with major joint impact.

The Whole Dog Journal has a nice article on joint supplements here, and they also recommend starting young, although don't specify an age. I've found them to be well balanced on issues in the past- www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_8/features/Canine-Osteoarthritis_15644-1.html
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2014 6:14:50 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I started my GWP bitch on a glucosamine supplement starting around 9 months old - I haven't seen or heard anything negative as to starting them off early, and I want her to have good bones for field and water work.
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2014 10:38:58 AM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

I do Agility with my 2 year old Dandie and give Glucosamine prophyllacticly (sp?)
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2014 7:09:21 AM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

Thanks you guys for all the input. Astoria, how many mg did you start your dog off on? I have a border so I imagined he'd be on a lesser dosage.
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/14/2014 7:52:50 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

bump
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/15/2014 2:44:48 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

sorry - I saw this but forgot to respond because I knew I needed to look it up!
There is 500mg of glucosamine in her supplement - they suggest at first to double the dose for the first month, and I didn't do that because she had no pain or issues, I just started giving her the maintenance dose which is 500mg
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/15/2014 2:45:29 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

She weighs about 50 - 55 lbs, she's on the smaller side for a GWP

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.