.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : Color Genetics -- Help Please
  Prism
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/22/2015 10:01:42 PM reply with quote send message to  Prism Object to Post   

Hi,

Hope this is OK to post here, more traffic.

I am terrible at genetics. I want to know what colors I can breed to each other to produce white. Breed is Toy Poodle. I was hoping to move the quality along quicker by breeding to current dogs but so far none of my efforts have resulted in white puppies unless I breed white x white.

Thank you for your help!
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
1/23/2015 12:58:07 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

A quick glance of your genetics suggests to me that white crossed to any other color, then take one of those offspring and breed it to a white should get you white pups. Now this can be confounded due to litter size- small litters are less likely to give you every possible color (ie- if you could get 6 different colors out of a mating, but you only have 3 pups in the litter- obviously you aren't going to have pups of every possible color that pair could produce). But it should work if used over a large number of dogs.

So-

White dog X Current Gen dog= Offspring A (any color)

Offspring A x Different White dog= a chance of white pups.

Then continue- white pup X current gen dog etc etc
  Prism
Basic User

Basic User
1/24/2015 11:27:52 PM reply with quote send message to  Prism Object to Post

Thank you very much for your help. I'll give that a shot (luckily I've held some back!)
 Blue Water
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2015 8:41:06 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Water Object to Post

I have color bred mini poodles forever in my other kennel crystal cove. Although it hasn't happened often it is possible to get a white in that way.
 BlackFrost
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2015 9:12:21 PM reply with quote send message to BlackFrost Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

My best guess off your genetics is find a cream who has thrown apricot, blue or cafe au lait offspring and breed the cream to an apricot for a good chance for white puppies.

Might be a bit more direct that white to any color and offspring to white, but either one should produce a reasonable chance.

Like maybe cross Apricot Dream with this stud: www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13669544 ??

-----
Last edited by BlackFrost on 2/2/2015 9:22:45 PM

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.