Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Sporting breed questions, spaniels, and updates.
 Phlossy
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/16/2015 8:11:08 AM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hey, guys. I've been doing a lot of research lately and talking to a guy about the possibility of getting a Welsh Springer Spaniel to show. She's an older dog (around 4 years old) and has most of her points and has been shown for awhile, so I know that the training part isn't going to be too difficult. He's also stepped up to volunteer to mentor me with her and teach me how to groom the breed and such. His only requirement is that I breed her at least once (which he has picked out the stud and has a list of homes seeking puppies, so all I would have to do really is whelp the litter and raise them, which isn't a big issue for me).

One thing no one can seem to really answer is.... what's it like living with a sporting breed? I have boxers currently so I'm used to high energy dogs, but I'm not 100% sure what living with a spaniel entails, as far as exercise and how they are to live with. The only "spaniel" I have experience living with are tibetan spaniels, which are not a spaniel at all, LOL. Hopefully someone here can give me a good idea of what your daily life looks like with sporting breeds or spaniels. I believe there's some people on here with cockers that may be able to give some insight.

Now, as for the updates on what's going on with my boxers and other dogs:
Jack, my dear friends' tibetan spaniel that I show for them, is taking a break for awhile. Their elderly boxer was just diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy so they're sort of struggling financially right now, and I don't want to push them to enter shows. I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to use Jack, the tibetan spaniel, at stud though, because it would be a shame to lose his pedigree (also I want his babies). wink ;)

The tibetan spaniel breeder I'm friends with has puppies, so hopefully I'll have my own tibetan spaniel within the next few months (at least to show; she doesn't place anything until they're over a year old). Yay baby fluff balls!

Ellie, my little natural eared bitch, is taking a break from AKC until the end of October. Her first show out will be Halloween! She got really burnt out after campaigning hard last year ICKC. We may be bringing her out a bit earlier for a UKC show in the beginning of October. I haven't decided yet, since I want to get her UKC title(s) on her pretty badly and haven't had a chance.

AJ/Aksyl, my mother's boy, just took WD a few weeks ago for his second point! He also took a Best in Show ICKC last month, I believe it was. We're going to be campaigning him a little more this year AKC to try to get some singles on him, and we've picked out a handler if all else fails (one that I trust beyond measure and adore). For good measure, here's a photo of our last win photo:

-----
Last edited by Phlossy on 9/18/2015 10:39:07 AM
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
9/16/2015 9:55:42 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

Okay- Ive got a couple different insights on living with sporting breeds, none Welsh Springers- but Ill sum them up.

My grandparents bred German shorthair pointers- these dogs were hhigh energy and needed to move and do constantly. They had over 500 acres, so the dogs were well exercised- as much as I fell in love with the breed during my summers there I respect them far to much to own one and not give it the time it needs. My grandfather also hunted with most of the dogs- and they enjoyed thier purpose. They did have a couch dog, resident show dog and she did not enjoy hunting and would much rather you scratch her rump all day.

My in laws currently own an English Cocker Spaniel a golden and a field bred lab. The golden is a typical happy go lucky golden, afraid of Thunder, easy dog. The lab is crazy- she jumps over backs of couches, she ate the bottom of her crate while she was kenneled (for less than an couple hours), they have a pool and she swims all day and never tires. Shes demanding and will bark when things arent going her way. The spaniel is OCD in the truest sense. He is absolutely okay sitting on the couch with you, but hes not to be trusted alone, eats wall paper and baseboards, he swims in circles repeatedly and will spend countless hours chasing the shadows of bugs. They live with cats and have no problems /instense prey drive.

I have 2 english/conformation labradors. The oldest is the best and easiest dog I have ever owned. I socialized him heavily as a puppy- he was crate trained by night one, slept through the night, barks only when someones at the door and is very obedient. He is laid back and has no problem sleeping all day, or spending all day out and about. The second lab is still a puppy, but she is a far better puppy compared to my inlaws lab. She is a chewer, but shes crate trained and is not demanding of my time. Shes okay being left alone as long as you interact with her for a little bit and play fetch for 20 minutes, and will put herself in her crate when shes tired out. We love with cats, and enjoy chasing them every once in awhile, but if theyre told no they stop. Birds and squirrels catch thier eye- but they dont go crazy over them. Unless its a duck in a lake-my male has a history of catching and trying to return to me with live ducks.

I guess my point is- it is going to depend on the dog. If theres any aspect I didnt cover you are more interested in- I can elaborate.
 Steph
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 2:49:46 AM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

I have had retrievers for years but not really the same as the Spaniels. If I were to get a Spaniel is would be a Welshie though. I just think they are really cool dogs. I have 2 Curly-Coated Retrievers, older girls and a 5 1/2 month working line Labrador. Dani, the Lab, is pretty laid back in the house, though a destroyer of socks ( I refer to her as the sock thief ). She turns on for the tug toy ( in training for Flyball ) and loves to retrieve but has an off switch. SUper easy to crate training and was 100% house broke just before 4 months old. Not really a barker.

I am a little confused as to which dog has the Cardio. Is it the one you would like for them to breed? Cardio is not something you would ever want to pass on to future generations. JMO
 Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
9/18/2015 10:42:03 AM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

"I am a little confused as to which dog has the Cardio. Is it the one you would like for them to breed? Cardio is not something you would ever want to pass on to future generations. JMO"

A friend of mine's boxer was diagnosed with Cardio, and nope nope, not breeding him. His name is Buzz and he's been neutered since he was young (he's almost 9 now). Thankfully his condition was caught during a routine screening so it's a recent development and the vets are optimistic that with medication he'll live a normal life. Their tibetan spaniel is healthy as a horse, and he's the one that I want my friend to use at stud. Reading back it was super confusing the way I worded it, so I went back edited it to avoid any miscommunication. Thank you for point it out! Eek! I hope not too many people were confused about it.

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.