Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Show Ring Bait and Toys
 Nouveau
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/21/2015 11:50:06 AM reply with quote send message to Nouveau Object to Post   

My dog is not so great at focusing. That is, unless I have something that he really, really wants. Unfortunately, those things that he really wants are water battles, and a stuffed puppy that's not so stuffed anymore, and practically ripped to shreds. What do you use for your dogs that have a hard time focusing? Also, considering that he's toy motivated, I'm thinking of a small squeak toy.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2015 3:21:02 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I like the little rat toys - some vendors make them out of rabbit fur which can be especially appealing to some dogs.
They're usually small enough to fit into a pocket but have a tail you can use to get attention too.

I don't like ones that squeak because I'm always afraid I will disrupt other dogs in the ring - I've been that disrupted dog before and it's very frustrating!

For food, I like to use pepperonis - I buy the mini ones and pat dry in a paper towel, seems to work great for picky eaters.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2015 4:05:51 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Agree about no squeaking toys or at least don't squeak it in or near the ring. We had that at one show someone was hyping up there dog near our breeds ring with a squeaky ball and it was throwing off most of the dogs as they were turning around trying to find the squeak all the time.

I've seen people using small cat toys for there dogs in the ring.

For mine I use a piece of dried liver for her to nibble on for when the judge is going over her to keep her ocupied and then smaller treats for the rest of the time in the ring, nothing spersific for those ones.
 FallenStarz
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2015 4:18:30 PM reply with quote send message to FallenStarz Object to Post

For food we use premade bagged fajita chicken. They're cooked, super smelly, and the dogs go nuts over it.
 Nouveau
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2015 4:33:17 PM reply with quote send message to Nouveau Object to Post

Yes, I can understand it being disruptive to some dogs. But if he's really concerned with something else, sometimes a sound can really help to reel him back in. If I were to use a squeak toy, I probably wouldn't squeak it more than twice in the ring. The reason I mentioned a squeak toy, is because it would work to regain his focus for sure. Using the squeaker is a lady resort, but I'd really like to have it just in case.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2015 8:34:43 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I agree with everyone else on the idea of avoiding a squeak toy because it does distract other dogs. My Standard Poodle LOVED anything that made a noise but I never used it in the ring. At home when we practiced we used it. But in the ring I would use food or make (quiet) noises with my mouth, only when no one was around.

If your dog must have the squeaky. I see some people do this: They tease the dog with the squeak. After the examination and the down and back, the handler takes the squeak out and after the go around they throw it for the dog to run and get it. The handler usually takes it away rather quickly as well. That way you are (More than likely) not anywhere near the dog being examined so hopefully it wont bother that dog. Its not great to bother the other dogs but its not the end of the world if it bothers the others in line (Unless the judge is about to do a final look down).

This will also make a difference... What breed do you have?
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2015 8:36:29 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Another thing I forgot to add. Something I just thought of. You could buy 2 toys that look exactly the same. Have one normal and the other one take the squeak out. Outside the ring use the normal one, inside use the empty one. Even though it may be the sound the dogs enjoys, eventually they wont need the sound and will react off seeing the object that makes the sound happy :)
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 2:08:52 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I have a squeaker for the girls, have never used in the ring, but wouldn't be opposed to it if it was quiet enough.

The nice thing about their squeaker is that the actual piece that makes noise comes out, so if I want, I can just use the toy as an incentive, or I can put the noise piece in my mouth and make the noise super quiet.

I also use dried lamb lung for the dogs I show, it works great, no mess, not greasy, etc.

Lucky for us, we got a ton of it because we sell it for the main company.
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 2:09:31 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I have a squeaker for the girls, have never used in the ring, but wouldn't be opposed to it if it was quiet enough.

The nice thing about their squeaker is that the actual piece that makes noise comes out, so if I want, I can just use the toy as an incentive, or I can put the noise piece in my mouth and make the noise super quiet.

I also use dried lamb lung for the dogs I show, it works great, no mess, not greasy, etc.

Lucky for us, we got a ton of it because we sell it for the main company.
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 4:21:54 AM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

There is nothing more annoying than an exhibitor using a squeaky toy either in the ring whilst you are competing, or outside the ring whilst you are in the ring. It's both selfish and shows a complete lack of training pre-showing. You should train your dog to stand for bait, or a toy that is silent, saying that it's also a nightmare following a baited breed into the ring.

As a judge I dislike it when a dog that I'm going over is nibbling on a liver cake - in Dobes and Boxers (as examples) they lean forward into the bait extending their neck, taking the weight off their hindquarters, it's messy and alters the stance of the dog.

I also hate it when handlers (usually male) have keys or loose change in their pockets, it distracts me and other dogs. I will always ask the handlers to remove it before their individual show.

Just my thoughts.

Oh another trick, works with entire males only, if you can get a small piece of cloth impregnated with on heat bitch scent, keep it in a small ziplock bag, just unzip the bag in your pocket or bait pounch, focuses attention like nothing else!
 Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 8:24:35 AM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

I use small toys with one of my boxer boys. They're either squeakers with the squeaker "killed" (punctured so it can't squeak) or something like a hoof, small bone, or bully stick.

Quite often at shows I've gotten "killed" squeakers from friends for free, or at a discount from vendors. I also tend to hoard small squeakless stuffed animals whenever I find them pocket sized. Miniature beanie babies are pretty easy to find where I live. The other thing that seems to work well for me is strips of rabbit fur, if you can find somewhere that sells rabbit hides.

Mostly my other dogs will work for fresh boiled/baked liver. Freeze dried doesn't attract my dogs at all. For commercial treats, the Nudges soft jerky treats cut up into smaller pieces seems to work pretty well too.

As far as the bitch-in-heat scented cloth... both of my boys are VERY attentive to bitches in season. If a handler in front of me pulled that out, my boys would immediately lose focus on me and I would be pretty upset, to be honest. That may be better for cases where you're the only person in the ring, or as a last ditch resort. It ranks right up there with squeakers in my opinion.
 Nouveau
Basic User

Basic User
9/22/2015 10:54:06 AM reply with quote send message to Nouveau Object to Post

I have a German shepherd dog. Free baiting works as well sometimes. Thank you all for sharing your insight, I didn't realize how unpopular the squeaker was. Many of my mentors have used them, and I wouldn't say it's rare to see squeakers in the rings I've been in. I will have to disagree with the point that it shows lack of training. Different dogs are motivated by different things, and some may only be motivated by a rather incovenient thing. I work my dog daily, and know that many others do. Sure, if you try enough things out, you're bound to eventually find something more convenient that works just enough. But I believe that what a dog is motivated by, and the amount of training aren't necessarily related. Not to mention that there are many young dogs competing, as well as dogs who have bad days. I've had dogs that I've trained and even taken to formal conformation classes that decide they're going to be wild in the ring for their first show or 2. I don't think this always reflects the amount of training and time put in. happy :)

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing