Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Forgotten Rules? ....Use of Real Kennel Names
 Azawakh Inc.
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/26/2019 2:31:16 PM reply with quote send message to Azawakh Inc. Object to Post   

Copyright Infringement and Use of Real Kennel Names

Do not use copyrighted pictures for your dogs and/or your kennel pages.

Do not use the names of famous real life kennels for your kennel/user name on this site. We realize the idea of recreating those kennels on ShowDog sounds fun, however, if you don't own the real life kennel, please do not use their name for your username. ShowDog has grown to the point that if the real owner of the kennel is not taking part in the sim, somebody who knows them is.

If you are caught intentionally pretending to be a famous kennel without their permission you will be forced to change your username and banned from owning the relevant breed of dogs in the future.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/26/2019 10:52:24 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Thanks for posting this. I put pictures of a couple of my RL Afghan Hounds on that public site (can't remember the name of it). There are lots of dog breed pix on there are public domain. As far as kennel names, I used my own in my Afghan but I would never dream of using someone else's without their permission. That's a no-no.
 Atra Thai Ridgebacks
Basic User

Basic User
8/26/2019 10:57:05 PM reply with quote send message to Atra Thai Ridgebacks Object to Post

I think the problem is that for new users, the rules aren’t right there when you’re signing up. I think that a lot of the time, they don’t realize they’ve broken a rule until they’ve already started and established their account. If they’re basic, then making another account is breaking a different rule...just something to think about, I guess.

If Jeff were more active, I’d send him a message suggesting posting the rules in the same place new users have to sign up!
 Emily.Rose
Basic User

Basic User
8/27/2019 5:16:42 AM reply with quote send message to Emily.Rose Object to Post

I think so too. Sometimes age comes into play as well. I think a younger member is more apt to do these mistakes. Adults do too, don't get me wrong, but I think it is super easy to do when your younger.
 Azawakh Inc.
Basic User

Basic User
8/27/2019 11:58:46 AM reply with quote send message to Azawakh Inc. Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by Azawakh Inc. on 8/27/2019 5:51:44 PM
 Enchante
Basic User

Basic User
8/28/2019 1:16:19 AM reply with quote send message to Enchante Object to Post

I have used my old kennel name when I first did my account back in the day but make up names for the rest but have no idea if any are real names or not. So yes it could happen by mistake but usually probably wouldn’t be the same breed as in the real kennel. Just saying I don’t want to have to go search for that kind of information and if someone informed me I had made such a mistake I would just change my Kennel name.
 Atra Thai Ridgebacks
Basic User

Basic User
8/28/2019 2:35:10 AM reply with quote send message to Atra Thai Ridgebacks Object to Post

I had no idea you could change your kennel name. Where do you do that? Or is it only for Standard accounts?
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/28/2019 6:48:16 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

You cannot change your kennel name. You can change the prefix/suffix you use to name your dogs but your kennel name (username, as it were) is fixed. If you truly don't like using it as a log in, the only option is to make a brand new account/kennel.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/28/2019 10:05:49 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Exactly. My kennel name is Xizang but my prefix is Xizang for TT, Patchouli for Afghans, and Velvet's for Boxers.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler