.com Forum · Canadian Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Service Dog
 Tryst
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/17/2007 10:01:50 AM reply with quote send message to Tryst Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I am coming up to Kitchener from the Detroit area with a service dog for shows in the end of May. Can anyone tell me what the laws are and where to find them? I really need her to be with me for medical reasons.

Jennifer
 cedarcreek
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2007 5:10:54 PM reply with quote send message to cedarcreek Object to Post

Service dogs are allowed to go anywhere, and I don't think that you have to pay for them to fly, or anything.
 Stag Mountain
Basic User

Basic User
5/2/2007 10:20:31 AM reply with quote send message to Stag Mountain Object to Post

is she a pit or pit mix? if so you may have problems in Ontario ...
 Tryst
Basic User

Basic User
5/6/2007 6:14:01 AM reply with quote send message to Tryst Object to Post

No. My service dog is Border Terrier. She is a medical alert dog and vital to me being able to attend these shows. I just want to make sure that I have an idea of what to expect. I know the laws here in the US that cover service dogs as I regularly have to point American business owners to them.

A restaurant that we go to all the time had the health department called on them & they initially told me that my dog wasn't allowed. They weren't familiar with the laws as I am in a smallish town & there are very few service dogs - I know of a few dogs in training but not another true working dog. I got them the info on the laws & they cleared up their problem. They were very pleased to learn about the laws and how they applied to them.

I have also had some issues with 2 hospitals near us. One that is normally great broke the law 3 times in one visit. The other is always a pain and I just avoid going there whenever possible.

I just need to know where I stand before I get there & have to deal with it happy :)

Jennifer

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.