.com Forum · UK Forum

Replies in this thread : 27
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Hello, I'm not in the UK, but I have a question
 Sunset Goldens
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/8/2008 6:32:04 PM reply with quote send message to Sunset Goldens Object to Post   

I live in the U.S. and I don't have any clue who Harry Hill is, but I was wondering if once in a while I could ask questions about the UK. I have always really loved it, and because the likelihood of me being able to go there is almost zero until I'm at least out of collage, I was wondering if anyone whould be upset if I asked some questions about day-to-day stuff that I don't know about. Take mail. Is there one certin place where you have your mailboxes? A slot in the door? On the house? A box by the road? Several together? Is everywhere different? I don't know stuff like that and wonder.

Thanks.
 angus my golden retriver
Basic User

Basic User
12/9/2008 12:45:35 PM reply with quote send message to angus my golden retriver Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the uk!

With our mail which is called post over here, we have a letter box which is a slot in the door so the lettters come straight through the door into the hall. And to send letters we have to go to the nearest post box and send it there.

-AMGR
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2008 4:18:35 PM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

I'm also very happy to answer any UK related questions!

Like the above said, we have slots in our front doors called letter boxes, but some choose to have a box on the side of the door as well. And yeah we have to go to a post box to post letters or a post office to post packages.
 Silver Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2008 11:03:13 AM reply with quote send message to Silver Wind Kennels Object to Post

Yep and I'm also happy to answer questions!

The uk is a great place, we don't use dollars ($) here we use pounds (£wink ;) and it is cheaper for us to come over to USA than for you to come to uk because it is about $1.40678 to £1 or that may be the other way round. Lol!

~Silver~
 Silver Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2008 12:39:04 PM reply with quote send message to Silver Wind Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

user wiped their message
 Sunset Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2009 10:41:43 PM reply with quote send message to Sunset Goldens Object to Post

Thanks everyone, that's interesting; hardly anyone has mailboxes like that in the U.S., or at least where I live. But I'm very excited that some people are so kind and willing to answer my questions. Thank you! and I will post agin when something pops into my head.
 Silver Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2009 4:12:45 AM reply with quote send message to Silver Wind Kennels Object to Post

K. No probs. But just one think though, if your coming over to the uk then may I warn you that sometimes (or most depending on how you look at it, or where you live)the weather is terrible. We have rain quite a lot and sometimes even snow.
 DeadSet
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2009 4:21:59 AM reply with quote send message to DeadSet Object to Post

posted by Silver Wind Kennels
K. No probs. But just one think though, if your coming over to the uk then may I warn you that sometimes (or most depending on how you look at it, or where you live)the weather is terrible. We have rain quite a lot and sometimes even snow.
Definitely a depending on where you live thing.. some parts of the USA never see snow.. some parts see ENORMOUS amounts. I never see snow. Maybe once a year and it is usually around 1 inch. Then it's gone the next day. It does rain here quite a bit. And again some parts of the USA might not see rain for months.

~Morgan
 Silver Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2009 4:52:13 AM reply with quote send message to Silver Wind Kennels Object to Post

If you never see snow then you don't live in the uk. Lol! Well yes I can see what you mean there, in London, England in the UK they get all the good weather, but sometimes the weather down there can be a bit freaky. Like when my best friend went down to see here gran in London, one day her gran went out into the garden and it was so hot she got sun burned, the next day it was SNOWING and then the day after that it was raining then the next day it was hail stones! Hows that for some freaky weather, eh?!

~Silver~
 Kitt Coty
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2009 6:34:12 AM reply with quote send message to Kitt Coty Object to Post

London has very poor air quality,not good for anyone with breathing problems.
The £ is dropping in value while the $ is getting much stronger.England is a good country to visit at the moment and shop,shop,shop.UK needs your $$$ folks come over while there are still open shops here lol
 Silver Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2009 12:34:55 PM reply with quote send message to Silver Wind Kennels Object to Post

Yes I agree! Please do! And I didn't know that London has poor air quality. Are you sure about that?
 Kitt Coty
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2009 3:55:20 PM reply with quote send message to Kitt Coty Object to Post

Yes I agree! Please do! And I didn't know that London has poor air quality. Are you sure about that?
Yes the EU are thinking of taking legal action and there have already been reports saying some athletes are concerned over the 2012 games.Greenwich which is a high tourist area has always been bad for pollution and poor air quality.
The shopping is better further out though,at Bluewater and Lakeside!!
 Starlit Diamonds Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/5/2009 1:46:10 AM reply with quote send message to Starlit Diamonds Kennels Object to Post

I agree. Or even Tunbridge Wells is quite good with all its malls. I go there alot!
 Silver Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/5/2009 9:25:03 AM reply with quote send message to Silver Wind Kennels Object to Post

I go to a caravan park near Lake Windermear in Cumbraya and the shopping down there is just fab. I love to shop. If shopping were a sport in the Olyimpics I would defo bring home a Gold medal! Lol! laugh :D

~Silver~
 Sunset Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2009 8:33:43 AM reply with quote send message to Sunset Goldens Object to Post

posted by DeadSet
Definitely a depending on where you live thing.. some parts of the USA never see snow.. some parts see ENORMOUS amounts. I never see snow. Maybe once a year and it is usually around 1 inch. Then it's gone the next day. It does rain here quite a bit. And again some parts of the USA might not see rain for months.

~Morgan

Well, where I live we see everything. We freeze in the winter (0 in normal, and -30 is not unheard-of), flood in the spring (That 'April showers bring May flowers' thing doesn't work very well, since we start raining in late March on-and-off and it just keeps on going until mid May), and we roast in July and August espcilly, with 85 to 95 digree weather every day, and very little rain. Fall is okay, very colorful, and May and June are pretty.
 Sunset Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2009 8:37:18 AM reply with quote send message to Sunset Goldens Object to Post

posted by Kitt Coty
London has very poor air quality,not good for anyone with breathing problems.
The £ is dropping in value while the $ is getting much stronger.England is a good country to visit at the moment and shop,shop,shop.UK needs your $$$ folks come over while there are still open shops here lol

The $ is going up in value anywhere? really? wow, thats news to me, even though the world-wide econamy is taking a nose-dive, I wouldn't think that the US dollar could increase at all.
 Silver Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2009 1:12:18 PM reply with quote send message to Silver Wind Kennels Object to Post

BuMp! News to me too! Lol! happy :)

~Silver~
 Lokei
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2009 2:04:20 PM reply with quote send message to Lokei Object to Post

Wanted to add -

I lived in Ocford for 2 years and we did see snow each year - if I remember correctly. Granted, it was more like snow dust, lol. But we did get it happy :) But they other years I was in the UK (and no longer in Oxford) we did not get any snow, just lots of rain.

Silver Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2009 2:24:21 PM reply with quote send message to Silver Wind Kennels Object to Post

Yes you'll find that with Britain. Lol!^^

Britain is in the Northern Hemisphere and we are kind of in the middle of the Northern Hemisphere if you get what I mean and therefor we have very varied climate and weather. The likes of Spain and France are in the Southern Hemisphere and they have warmer weather and it is like that most if not all the time there because they are at the bottom of the Southern Hemisphere if you see what I mean.

~Silver~
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2009 3:02:08 AM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

I live down in the south west of England but come from the South East (Kent!). This winter our temps went down to -8 degrees celcious. It's worth remembering that the US measure temprature in ferenhiet, and the UK in degrees celcious.

It rains a lot - that's what we're so called famous for remember :P We also don't have much of a summer and we're lucky if we hit 30degrees celcius. Apparently we have the greatest change in seasons than most other countries as well. I never get snow down here in the SW, though when I lived in the SE, we got quite a bit (couple of inches).

In the winter months, it seems that the entire country start swapping viruses and it's pretty common to have a cold/cough type thing every month =\

Oh, and not all of us love drinking tea! Though I do razz :p
 Starlit Diamonds Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/1/2009 11:11:21 AM reply with quote send message to Starlit Diamonds Kennels Object to Post

It actually went down to -13. It has snowed here today aswell.

Replies in this thread : 27
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.