Search

.com Forum · Herding Breeds

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : new to breed and i have a question
 DoggyPanache
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
3/1/2009 11:26:33 PM reply with quote send message to DoggyPanache Object to Post   

what does it mean to breed 'double merles' in border collies? i bred a blue merle to a choc and white. is there somewhere to read about colors? most of the other breeds i am in don't have color yet and bc's seem quite complex.
 Aim High Border Collies
Basic User

Basic User
3/2/2009 5:37:21 AM reply with quote send message to Aim High Border Collies Object to Post

Well.. a double merle is the result of a Merle x Merle breeding, or Sable x Merle breeding. In Showdog they have not added the negative effects.. but in real life Double Merles are almost always born with severe birth defects (I.E. Missing eyes, deafness, blindness, etc.)

I have decided for my own kennel not to breed double merles. I have gotten great dogs without them and have sworn to make my lines Double Merle free. However, its your own choice.. I am just preparing myself for the chance Jeff might implement color effects one day.
 DoggyPanache
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/2/2009 2:20:37 PM reply with quote send message to DoggyPanache Object to Post

oh my gosh. it sounds like breeding hairless/hairless to hairless/hairless in chinese cresteds...

i am starting out in obedience but i know i will eventually get into conformation so that's good to know. personally i hope that color effects never come into play, it's just too complicated!

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.