.com Forum · UK Forum

Replies in this thread : 25
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : The Dog Whisperer
 Danders98
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/6/2009 9:39:47 AM reply with quote send message to Danders98 Object to Post   

Anyone seen the dog whisperer? What do you all think of it?
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2009 11:18:01 AM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

Not good, if you look at the dogs' body language after he's worked on them, you can tell physical stuff has gone on. Saw him basically kicking a dog on the show one time. He's great at selling himself to people tho.
 bryerwood kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/6/2009 1:10:44 PM reply with quote send message to bryerwood kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I don't like the show. I don't like his 'techniques' such as rolling a dog onto its back and pinning it down.

*I can't type today*
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2009 4:44:59 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I understand his methods and the ideas behind them, and i enjoy watching as i watch all the dog behaviour/training programs, but i would not use all his methods unless i had to as a last resort as i personaly prefur gentler methods.
i think he gos ott some times for example when exposing a dog or even a person to something it is affraid of it should be done slowley in stages and he seems to just throw the dog in at the deep end.

Also read a story that some bloke was going to sue him as his dog went to his centre and he got rushed to the vet as he coludnt breath and had brusing to throat and body.
www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-05-05-dog-whisperer_x.htm
 The Stud
Basic User

Basic User
6/6/2009 4:52:03 PM reply with quote send message to The Stud Object to Post

He makes himself look amazing...ly agressive angry
I saw him PIN a dog to the floor. No wonder the freakin' thing was bad behaved!

Thanks;
Chloe

P.S. Sorry if the angry face 'offends' anyone. Though it shouldn't. o.O T'is a pixel, after all.
 Silver Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2009 9:47:34 AM reply with quote send message to Silver Wind Kennels Object to Post

I don't really like the show. That guys techniques are just awful. can't believe he kicks dogs for barking! On every show I watched he kicked the dogs. I was horrified. The owners seamed grateful. How could they put their animals through that?!

Oh and PPvallhunds I read that article. I was so shocked! I just couldn't believe it. That poor doggie. sad :( I feel for the poor thing.

Anna
 123-abc
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2009 2:05:47 PM reply with quote send message to 123-abc Object to Post

Oh my goodness, you actually believe he kicks dogs for barking? That is so much bull.

I like Cesar because he acts like a dog... it's like he is one when he's rehabilitating. The reason he pins dogs down to the ground is because that's what a dog would do. It shows that he is the dominant one.

And he's not like normal pet owners... it's like he's in his own dog pack, but he's the leader. I don't know, I can't explain it. So many people treat their dogs like their "kids" or "babies". That just drives me insane. Dogs are dogs, let them be dogs!

And also, did you not read, Cesar was not the one who injured the dog in that article. It was his workers... and yes, that's his fault for hiring such idiots.

honcho
Basic User

Basic User
6/7/2009 3:36:52 PM reply with quote send message to honcho Object to Post

I would have to agree with the majority on this one. If you watch the dogs body language around him you can clearly tell that there is alot more going on then you see on the show. The dogs dont like him they avoid him at all costs, there is no trust. I'm sorry but just because a person pins a dog doesnt mean the dog is going to get it...I have seven dogs in my house, I have seen them pin each other how many times? ummm none.
There have been studies done on wolves and pinning is rarely seen in packs either. He is old school and caters to people who should not have dogs to begin with. Yes dogs should be treated like dogs but not to the extent that he does it. A dog shouldnt have to have the fear of death put into it to have it learn to respect and listen to its owner.
That said, yes sometimes drastic measures have to be taken to correct drasitc behavior but where does he draw the line? Dogs have been hurt on that show and not just by "workers" but by Ceaser himself. He trains his help...so those apples dont fall far from the tree.
 Majestic Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2009 5:52:59 PM reply with quote send message to Majestic Kennel Object to Post

This makes me want to laugh. Ceser,never being mean to the dog,but showing who is boss. He so caled 'pins' them,because thats how dogs do that,they show who's dominate. Pinning never hurts the dogs. He is very gentle with the dogs,and he touches them with his feet. He puts his foot in a pressure point,causing the dog to flinch or back off.
 honcho
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2009 6:14:14 PM reply with quote send message to honcho Object to Post

posted by Majestic Kennel
This makes me want to laugh. Ceser,never being mean to the dog,but showing who is boss. He so caled 'pins' them,because thats how dogs do that,they show who's dominate. Pinning never hurts the dogs. He is very gentle with the dogs,and he touches them with his feet. He puts his foot in a pressure point,causing the dog to flinch or back off.
Look at the dogs BODY LANGUAGE!!!They dont respect him they fear for their lives. I am VERY Familiar with his training techniques in front of the camera AND behind the scenes. I live in a very multiple dog house hold have I ever seen one of the dogs put another on their backs? No I never have not even it our very dominant male, Growling yes. Heck I growl at them if they get in my face. Ceasar is a fad that will eventually wither up and go away...all the better for innocently ignorant people.

*capitals are not ment as yelling, just emphasis*
 123-abc
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2009 4:16:50 PM reply with quote send message to 123-abc Object to Post

user wiped their message
 honcho
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2009 4:38:00 PM reply with quote send message to honcho Object to Post

We are not fighting.
 Karkelo
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2009 5:03:16 PM reply with quote send message to Karkelo Object to Post

Honcho is right, watch the dogs body language when he miraculously "fixes" a dog. The last episode I watched the food aggressive dog would flinch every time Cesar moved.

I prefer my dogs to enjoy being around people and not have to worry about who's going to hurt them. I live in a house with my friend and between the two of us, we currently have 12 dogs. Different breeds, sizes, and sexes. None of them have ever rolled each other in an attempt to dominate the dogs. We are the bosses and we've been able to establish that without traumatizing the dogs.
 The Listeners
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2009 6:42:57 PM reply with quote send message to The Listeners Object to Post

Ceasar Millan is nothing but a bully!!

If you really want to understand the dogs language then please give Jan Fennell's book the dog listener a read.

It is all about leadership not dictatership You dont have to bully a dog to get it to do what you want but, to get the dog to do it because the dogs want to do it!

SoftBrooke
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2009 3:59:04 PM reply with quote send message to SoftBrooke Object to Post

I Have watched the show a couple of times but he half chokes the dog when hes bringing them on a walk and i mean Its really the only time your dog can explore really.
I mean otherwise your dog is in a cell and i don't like that for a dog, I am always letting my labrador explore as i live on a farm with wide open fields and i let her roam around the farm and she just loves the farm animals.
But then its a different thing if you live in the town, I think he should treat dogs like you would treat a human because its not fair on dogs if you do that to them.
 Eden Falls
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2009 6:34:04 PM reply with quote send message to Eden Falls Object to Post

Pesonally i think hes good at his job. But everyone has there own opinions. And the fact that he gives the Bully/gaurding breeds a good name.
 123-abc
Basic User

Basic User
8/11/2009 9:27:01 AM reply with quote send message to 123-abc Object to Post

I agree Eden Falls. I think he really has a place in his heart for dogs & family, and just wants to help out.
 The Stud
Basic User

Basic User
8/11/2009 10:05:10 AM reply with quote send message to The Stud Object to Post

posted by 123-abc
I agree Eden Falls. I think he really has a place in his heart for dogs & family, and just wants to help out.
I just watched an episode and have changed my opinion xD I think Cesar really does mean well, and you KNOW he only works with disobedient dogs, so the body language could also be because the dog is not used to someone else being in charge...So I basically agree that Cesar isn't exactly a 'bully'. He can be quite rough with dogs, but...Meh, I dunno. Lets ask him laugh :D
 blueberrybonbon
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2009 5:15:08 AM reply with quote send message to blueberrybonbon Object to Post

ppl dont think hes a bully hes not he just showing whos boss
 Waggs1
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/24/2009 1:21:50 PM reply with quote send message to Waggs1 Object to Post

His techniques certainly seem to work. I'm pretty sure if real animal cruelty was going on it would catch up with him eventually. But. I personally don't like how he trains the dog I find it to aggresive and wouldn't feel comfortable using those techniques on my own dogs.

Has anyone seen It's me or the dog? It used to be on Channel Four now there are repeats every now and again. I can't remember the trainer's name but she uses far more passive techniques and I think they are more effective and about building trust and letting those owners who treat their dogs like babies know that babies aren't usually that furry. I've tried some of her more basic techniques to great effect.

Sorry about the essay I do ramble when I get going. happy :)
 AJAX Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/26/2009 4:34:28 PM reply with quote send message to AJAX Kennels Object to Post

Its Victoria Stillwell happy :)

Well, if you think he is being cruel then you obviously don't understand dogs and their language and way of being at all...

Replies in this thread : 25
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.