Search

.com Forum · Obedience Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Wanting to Try!
 Selma Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/1/2011 9:03:57 PM reply with quote send message to Selma Kennel Object to Post   

I want to try obedience.I would like to know tips and pointers to help me in obedience.
Questions
~What breed would you reccomend
~What are the levels
~Other info/tips

Thanks
Selma
 Sylence
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2011 11:30:29 PM reply with quote send message to Sylence Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Any breed can get their UD in Obedience, but I have had the easiest time with Border Collies... it took my Lagotto Romagnolo ages to get sessioned up enough. BC's go pretty quick.

For the CD you need to session the whole top line; HOL, Figure Eight, Heel Free, Recall, Long Sit and Long Down.

For the CDX you need to session all of the second row, except for the last one; so do Drop on Recall, Ret on Flat, Ret over High Jump, Broad Jump and Signal Exer.

For the UD you need to session the remaining options; Scent Descrimination, Directed Retriever, Mov Stand for Exam and Directed Jumping.

I dont have any of the BC's I worked in Obedience, but for my Lagotti I had 20's in all for the CD. One 20 and the rest 19's for his CDX. And for his UD I had 19, 18, 9 and 8... I'm not sure why his last two were so low, but he received his UD with them at that number.

As for how the obedience scoring works in the game, I really dont have a clue. Seems to be as long as the dog is sessioned he will eventually get his UD. Nothing much to it. Just session and enter. *shrug* Maybe Im missing something? lol
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2011 12:26:09 AM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Pembroke Welsh Corgis session up as fast as BC's in show obed, GSDs another good breed. Takes them all 6 sessions to get from 19 to 20 in show obedience which you need for the Stand for Exam.

The Show Obedience is the only number on the top line that you need to session for obedience. Condition, grooming, muscle aren't important. Sylence listed the others for the various levels already.

Probably a good number of the herding breeds would be good as they're all smart and bred to be trainable. Other breeds like terriers, toys, hounds, would take a long time and many many many sessions.

And yes, Sylence is correct. Pretty much if you session them up you get the title. Might be one NQ at first "dog was unsure" just because it was in it's 1st show.
 Selma Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2011 9:19:04 AM reply with quote send message to Selma Kennel Object to Post

Thanks so much you guys!
Selma
 luckydogwhisperer
Basic User

Basic User
10/19/2011 5:06:38 PM reply with quote send message to luckydogwhisperer Object to Post

I have had luck with BC's, Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, Brittanies, Flat-Coated Retrievers, and Shetland Sheepdogs.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.