Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Old Layout Shutting Down September 1st
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

System.__ComObject Forum Moderator
8/7/2013 2:25:43 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post   

The old layout will be taken offline September 1st.
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 2:58:36 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

noooooo! Dx
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 3:10:06 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

Nooooooo......... I will weep.
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 4:49:59 PM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Oh geez, that's how UNsavvy I am -- I didn't even know it was still up! laugh :D I guess it forced me to learn the new layout and fall in love with it. With the exception of the new hiccup when you are flipping through kennels and always having to click back to the page you wanted to be on. BUT, I can understand for those who liked the old layout better. Wishing you guys an easier transition.

Amyhappy :)
 Welsh Corgi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 4:55:14 PM reply with quote send message to Welsh Corgi Kennels Object to Post

Amy, I'm also on Trophyhorse and LOVE the new layout on there. lol
 Boulder Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 5:04:13 PM reply with quote send message to Boulder Kennel Object to Post

posted by AmbitionIrish
Oh geez, that's how UNsavvy I am -- I didn't even know it was still up! laugh :D I guess it forced me to learn the new layout and fall in love with it. With the exception of the new hiccup when you are flipping through kennels and always having to click back to the page you wanted to be on. BUT, I can understand for those who liked the old layout better. Wishing you guys an easier transition.

Same here! XD I had no idea the old site was still up and running. I have to say I'm in LOVE with the new layout though!

~Lissa
 Soundtrack
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 5:14:02 PM reply with quote send message to Soundtrack Object to Post

Is that really necessary?

I don't mind the new layout when I actually can access the site from a computer, although I still find it awkward I'm willing to consider that it may just be an unfamiliarity issue, but my primary access is by mobile and I still find it unweildy. I've been playing this game for 10 years and seen a lot of changes, some I agree with and some I don't. This is the first change that could cause me to stop playing, simply because the mechanics of it is frustrating. Honestly, I'm willing to give it a shot, I'm not in the habit of threatening to leave, but the issue of having to scroll back and forth to read the tables is a real one for me as long as I don't have computer access.
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
8/7/2013 5:40:13 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

I’ve heard both ways on the mobile thing, predominantly that it’s a lot clearer. I know it’s a lot clearer with my phone and ipad.

I know it’s a pain but can you send me a picture of what it’s looking like on your mobile device?

Regarding leaving the old site up, I’m going to open up personally for a bit…

This process is easily the most soul sucking experience I’ve had running these sites in the past ten years, including the 2006 week long outage.

I knew this switch would be difficult, layout changes always are. I thought I’d be stubborn enough to let a lot of it float off my back but I’ve just gotten to a point that it’s impacting me pretty badly. What makes it worse is know that doing nothing wasn’t an option either if I care about the future of the sites.

On a purely personal level, I’ve got to be done with it.

I’ll do what I can to make things more mobile friendly for those that are having issues with the current site but the old one is going to be gone September 1st.
 Inspirational Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 5:54:28 PM reply with quote send message to Inspirational Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I've purposefully not gone on the old layout AT ALL since the switch, as I knew I would never get used to this if I had. While I was not fond of it at first, I've gotten very acquainted with the new layout and navigate it just as well, if not better, than the old one.

I'm so used to this one, in fact, that when I looked at the old one today I felt....strange lol

Jeff, thank you for putting the time and effort into this! I know I was very apprehensive at first, but I truly love the new layout happy :)

ETA - Spelling errors

-----
Last edited by Inspirational Kennels on 8/7/2013 5:55:53 PM
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 6:56:11 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

I've been an SD player for 8ish years. I admit that SD has become a comfort over the years. Whenever I need a quick distraction from whats going on in the real world, SD has always been there like a warm comfy blanket.

I don't mind the site changing. I will still cling to that nice inviting old blanket until the new one comes in September.

I'm sure the new set up will grow on me like the old one.

Thanks for all your hardwork Jeff!

Will
 Soundtrack
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 8:06:38 PM reply with quote send message to Soundtrack Object to Post

I'll try to figure out a way to get a pic.

I have a Blackberry Curve, if that helps.

Basically, under the old layout, when I zoom in on a table (like the list of dogs on my kennel page or the list of shows)for easy reading I can get it to fit the screen width so I can see all of the info on a dog/show or whatever at once. Under the new layout, when I zoom in to read the table goes off the side and I need to scroll back and forth. That makes it a bit of a pain and sometimes I have trouble keeping track of which line I'm looking at.

I sometimes have a similar issue with text on other sites - most of them when I zoom in the text adjusts to screen width, but some sites that doesn't happen and then I don't usually bother to read the article because I hate trying to read and keep track of where I am while scrolling side to side.

I think possibly the text on the old site is easier to read, even when not zoomed.

I'm not trying to be bitchy, honest. I love the game and there *are* features of the new layout that I like. Just wondering if it's not possible to grandfather in us "old farts" and let us keep the format we prefer.
 Tuff-N-Uff
Basic User

Basic User
8/7/2013 10:46:36 PM reply with quote send message to Tuff-N-Uff Object to Post

I, too, experience the same issue with the new layout. Mobile is my only means of checking SD. It's a pain in the rear, might I add. I'm also using an iPhone, I can take screen shots if you'll tell me what kind of picture you're wanting to see. I can usually simply turn my phone sideways and its fine, but I find myself scrolling a LOT.

I just made my way back to the old layout after YEARS. I didn't know it was even around any longer. Might I mention, I so miss it. More vibrant in my opinion. I also like the easy access to past shows and the list for dogs.

Either way, I'm here to stay but def agree that we need a more mobile friendly approach.

-Tuff
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
8/8/2013 7:54:16 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

No, we're not going to leave the old layout up. Sorry, I thought I had made that clear in my previous reply.

Over the past year, all Blackberry devices combined (only the curve and the 9780 make the top 20 of mobile devices on here) have accounted for 0.2% of our overall traffic and just under 1% of our mobile traffic. I’m not sure it’s going to be a device that I can justify making large scale changes for.
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2013 9:32:36 AM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I've been using the new layout exclusively since the switch and I've adjusted to it really well. There are definitely things I love about it that make my SD experience better and faster. I too have been on SD for almost 10 years and will roll with this change as I have with all the others, and Jeff I do believe the outage of 2006 was way worse than the layout change....lol happy :)

I don't use SD on my phone, but do access it on my iPad mini and it works well for the most part. I do find that sometimes when I'm scrolling it's easy to inadvertently hit links by accident, particularly the FH button next to the dogs name, since it's at the edge of my screen right where my fingers go to scroll.

I'm not sure the above needs fixing or anything, it's possibly more the user than the site...lol. But just an observation.

Personally, I'm hoping to see some changes to the way the showing/payout/incentive systems are, and I'm hoping that once September 1st rolls around and Jeff has some time to decompress from the layout change he'll have some time to devote to those issues.

-----
Last edited by Summerwind Kennels on 8/8/2013 9:34:37 AM
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
8/8/2013 10:29:49 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

sad :( Okay, okay. Ill go try the new layout.......soon......
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/8/2013 11:09:40 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

I love the new site, and I am an old fart lol :P

Have not looked on the old site. Jeff for what it's worth you bent up down sideways and backwards listening to everyone's input on issues that we found.
I also love the flipping kennel to kennel option.
 Templar Knights
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2013 2:45:06 PM reply with quote send message to Templar Knights Object to Post

I haven't gone back to the old layout since the switch, I've forced myself to deal with the changes.While at first the changes were overwhelming and frustrating, I quickly figured things out and can't imagine going back.
 AmbitionIrish
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2013 4:13:41 PM reply with quote send message to AmbitionIrish Object to Post

Just a question from someone that loves the new layout, and rarely accesses SD from my phone. But is there any way the old layout could be accessed from mobile devices only? Just a thought.

Thank you, Jeff, for all your hard work. With very minor exceptions, I adore all the upgrades in the new layout!!!!!

Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/10/2013 12:08:59 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

I'm so dissappointed to see the old layout go - I prefer it over this one (though this one is very good and I like it too). Maybe I'm just an old ShowDog fart who will miss the old layout.
 TCrown
Basic User

Basic User
8/10/2013 11:37:13 PM reply with quote send message to TCrown Object to Post

Oh! Reading this from the old layout... will be very sad to see it go. I actually couldn't find my way around on the new layout (I admit I didn't spend much time trying) and was so thrilled to see the old layout was still an option! But I understand you need to do what'll be best long-term and we all know you've never put aside our concerns without considering all the angles. I will switch to the new layout when September comes, until then I will enjoy this simple & familiar old layout. Thank you for the heads-up!

TCrown
 VRMS
Basic User

Basic User
8/11/2013 2:57:56 AM reply with quote send message to VRMS Object to Post

SIR PLEASE DONT SIR ALL OUR DOGS ARE HERE SO PLEASE

Replies in this thread : 22
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.