Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : What breeds need new lines?
 Ammo
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/21/2014 6:30:03 AM reply with quote send message to Ammo Object to Post   

Want to try my hand at source breeding.
Been out of this game a few years, what breeds are needing new lines?
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2014 11:48:57 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Canaan Dogs and Gordon Setters could use some new blood.

Welcome back!
 sngpugs
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2014 3:00:19 PM reply with quote send message to sngpugs Object to Post

Welcome back. happy :)
I just returned also and got a couple of Otterhound source. Seems like there is not a lot of breeders and looking thru the ped's not a lot of diversity.
 Winter Heart
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2014 3:34:45 PM reply with quote send message to Winter Heart Object to Post

Welcome back. happy :)

Samoyeds need some new lines. I've purchased a couple starters, but I don't have enough room to get a full-fledged project going. You can also reintroduce the lost colors!
 WishMaker
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/24/2014 7:12:19 PM reply with quote send message to WishMaker Object to Post

I've been color/source breeding Samoyeds since 2006. I'm now just breaking into the 87's for SOP. When I first started my kennel back in late 2005, Samoyeds were very popular. Now there are only a few of us left and they have dropped near the bottom of the breed list sad :(. It would be nice if there were more people in my breed color/source breeding as it would be nice if I wasn't the only one doing it. It's a long road though, but it will be rewarding when my very own line of dogs are winning in the show ring happy :)

When I first started my source kennel, we could still use dogs that started the game if they were up for stud, even if the person hasn't logged on in years. It was nice as dogs weren't dying then and it didn't matter if you bred brother and sister. I don't remember how many outside stud dogs I used, but I do know it was only a few. I also made sure they were pretty close to the same generation I was on. Now I usually only keep about 4 studs and 12 bitches. That way I always have room for the new puppies.

I'm hoping to be caught up to the current SOP by the end of next year happy :) I've worked very hard to get this far so before you ask, I'm not planning on selling any of my dogs until I reach my goal sad :(

WishMaker
 dreamweaver1961
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2014 7:24:25 PM reply with quote send message to dreamweaver1961 Object to Post

If someone wants a real challenge, Lhasa Apso's really, really need some new lines and colors. I have newly returned after being away from Showdog for a long time, and I have started a kennel for source/color breeding Lhasa's. I love the breed and really hate to see it die off, but there are only 4 breeders including myself. COI is getting high and almost down to one color. 2 breeders have show quality, and one is trying to work on another color and line. It's going to be a long haul, but it would be very rewarding to bring this little breed back up from the last place in the breed standings.

And if anyone has experience with pure source breeding I would love some help with understanding how many dogs I need to start and planning breedings.

Thanks,

LeAnn
 Ammo
Basic User

Basic User
8/26/2014 4:48:35 AM reply with quote send message to Ammo Object to Post

I used to have a Canaan Kennel.
Have started a new one, wish me luck happy :)

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.