Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Where can I learn about color genetics?
 tayside
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/30/2014 11:00:47 PM reply with quote send message to tayside Object to Post   

Is there an in-game primer on color inheritence, or can anybody recommend a good site elsewhere? I'd love to figure out how to preserve the solid colors for IGs and how to breed for other colors, too.

Thanks!
 sngpugs
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2014 11:37:20 PM reply with quote send message to sngpugs Object to Post

Try Dr. Schmutz's site
homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogcolors.html
she also has links to other pages at the bottom of the page.
Hope this helps. happy :)
 tayside
Basic User

Basic User
8/31/2014 8:46:10 AM reply with quote send message to tayside Object to Post

Awesome! Thank you.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/31/2014 10:51:15 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Lilliput is vey helpful will figuring out colors. happy :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/31/2014 12:11:30 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Preserving solids should be fairly easy as it's dominant any solid dog carries at least one solid gene and possibly two.

On the other hand, if the solids are lost, they will be harder to get back as you would have to dip back into older, lower quality dogs and/or starters.

Good luck.
 rowanw
Basic User

Basic User
8/31/2014 8:28:37 PM reply with quote send message to rowanw Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I am in IGs in another kennel. Keeping solid is not too difficult.

This is how I do it...
For white we have
S (Solid)
si (Irish)

si is recessive, so it takes sisi to make "and white"

SS = the dog will be solid and regardless of who the dog is bred to all the puppies will be solid.

Ssi = the dog will be solid, but if bred to a Ssi girl or a sisi girl you might get solid (SS), "and white" (sisi) or "and white" factored (Ssi) puppies.

Edited to add...

sisi = the dog will always throw the "and white" gene, but puppies can be Solid "and white" factored" (Ssi) or "and white" (sisi)

Hope that makes sense. Just give me a shout in my IG kennel - Liason - if I can help further.

I personally prefer the "and white" so I never paid much attention when I was breeding and lost the "S" gene.

-----
Last edited by rowanw on 8/31/2014 8:31:04 PM
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
9/1/2014 4:48:11 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

I am always happy to mentor people in color genetic and help them figure out various color projects. Feel free to PM me. happy :)
 tayside
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2014 9:07:55 PM reply with quote send message to tayside Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by gaylanstudio
Preserving solids should be fairly easy as it's dominant any solid dog carries at least one solid gene and possibly two.

On the other hand, if the solids are lost, they will be harder to get back as you would have to dip back into older, lower quality dogs and/or starters.

Good luck.

Yep, I'm pretty much having to start over with Starters! I don't mind, though. It's kind of fun to try Starter breeding. I never really did it before when I was playing.

Good to know that solid is a dominant gene... that makes it fairly easy to breed for it at least!

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody!

Rowan, good info (and I understood it all happy :) ) and thank you Lilliput!!

-----
Last edited by tayside on 9/2/2014 9:09:04 PM

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.