Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : When to start joint supplements for performance dogs?
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/2/2014 9:31:40 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post   

I have been told that glucosamine supplementation in puppies and young dogs can be harmful, and to wait until the dog is at least 2 years old. I want to know your guys's opinion on that, what's your personal experience?

I want to know when to start my little guy off. He's 9 months old and very active (I can't help it, he's a border collie) and I want to take every precaution I can to keep him happy and healthy for his future agility career.

Thanks happy :)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2014 10:49:04 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Harmful in what way? I'd want to hear something more solid than a rumor somebody thinks it can be harmful. A quick google search doesn't pull anything up, besides an uncited concern about cartilege overgrowth.

However, I found a LOT more info on people giving it to large breed puppies of all ages, so I imagine if there was solid evidence of harm, there would be more citations of harm and more people mentioning concerns of such on the various dog boards.

I believe rather strongly in starting joint supplements young. I've never had a dog under 2 though, so don't really have an opinion on when it is best to start- but my gut says 6 months or a year would be fine. And that waiting until 2 is unlikely to do much harm, except perhaps in dogs involved in activity with major joint impact.

The Whole Dog Journal has a nice article on joint supplements here, and they also recommend starting young, although don't specify an age. I've found them to be well balanced on issues in the past- www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_8/features/Canine-Osteoarthritis_15644-1.html
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2014 6:14:50 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I started my GWP bitch on a glucosamine supplement starting around 9 months old - I haven't seen or heard anything negative as to starting them off early, and I want her to have good bones for field and water work.
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2014 10:38:58 AM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

I do Agility with my 2 year old Dandie and give Glucosamine prophyllacticly (sp?)
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/4/2014 7:09:21 AM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

Thanks you guys for all the input. Astoria, how many mg did you start your dog off on? I have a border so I imagined he'd be on a lesser dosage.
 Canis Lupis Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/14/2014 7:52:50 PM reply with quote send message to Canis Lupis Kennels Object to Post

bump
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/15/2014 2:44:48 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

sorry - I saw this but forgot to respond because I knew I needed to look it up!
There is 500mg of glucosamine in her supplement - they suggest at first to double the dose for the first month, and I didn't do that because she had no pain or issues, I just started giving her the maintenance dose which is 500mg
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/15/2014 2:45:29 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

She weighs about 50 - 55 lbs, she's on the smaller side for a GWP

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.