Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Farm dog suggestions
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/16/2014 3:25:02 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post   

We own 47 acres and will be moving out there within 8 years ... My current boys are 7 and a half. Odds are, they won't be moving out there with us, but will be buried out there. happy :)

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for good farm protection dogs. I have looked into livestock guardian breeds, but I think we will want more of a farm dog. It will still need to keep the coyotes and big cats at bay, until we can get out to them.

I know 8 years is a long way down the road, but I want to get suggestions now, so I can look into breeds and possibly lines I'd like.

Thank you! happy :)
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2014 4:07:24 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Are you planning on having livestock? if so what kind?

If it's just to keep them away from the house (coyotes & big cats will help keep deer & rodents from damaging your crops if you don't have to worry about them killing livestock) then anything large will do.

grif,
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2014 7:26:31 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

A friend of mine has a Myremma (?sp) and it keeps cougars and coyotes away from their goats, peacocks and chickens. With his family, he is a lovely pet but is a great guard dog patrolling the fence-line until your are invited in. A real sweetie once you've been introduced.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2014 10:40:17 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

We will have cows, goats, chickens, rabbits, and guinea hens. I like the idea of a LGD, but I like the idea of a farm dog, even more. We will have farm cats, so we are hoping that will help out with the rodent problem. So, I can go to the local pound or rescue and pick a pup from there? Desensitizing the dog to stock and the cats isn't something that scares me. happy :)

I like the Maremmas, but Pyrs are more common around here, so that was the breed I was leaning towards, but if I can pick up a rescue, that's the route I will go ... Like I said, I have many years before I will be in the market for a dog, I just like to be prepared. happy :)
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
10/16/2014 11:23:50 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I think how suitable a rescue will be will depend on your exact expectations, and how much temperament testing you do etc. If you just want a dog, that lives on your farm, most any dog will do. If you want a dog that is protective, or will alert to wildlife/strangers, etc etc- you either need to have a clear idea of how to pick those traits in a rescue, or pick a breed that exhibits them. My dog is unsuitable for other reasons, but has never noticed a wild animal in her life unless it is a bug, not even if it is charging at her (which has happened). She's also rather be with me than patrolling the grounds, and has never barked a warning in her life. Clearly a dog like that is not what you want here. So I wouldn't say ANY rescue can do, but if you can figure out predictors for the behavior you want, a rescue COULD work.

-----
Last edited by Lilliput on 10/17/2014 2:44:17 AM
 SmokeJumper Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2014 1:19:02 AM reply with quote send message to SmokeJumper Kennel Object to Post

Oh yes, I definitely will be looking for certain traits in the dog, no matter where I get it from. I'm ok with the dog not walking the entire property. The animals will be on 15ish acres, so the pup won't have to work too hard.

My current rescues would be ideal. They don't make noise unless something is in their yard that shouldn't be. At the property, we have two packs of coyotes, plus a few rouge males. My boys keep the coyotes away from our area. Last weekend they chased a lone male off. They would do anything to protect their pack, especially the two naked puppies. laugh :D

Thank you so much for the responses!
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2014 1:19:54 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

The above was obviously me ... Forgot which kennel I was in.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2014 2:24:13 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

OTOH I have a Papillon who tries to hunt deer.

I would think a rescue that is a mix of any working breed or german shepherd would probably be fine as long as you looked for the traits you want (or find a rescue that fosters the dogs out so have a better idea about the temperament).

grif,
 Dreisaiah Hundehutte
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/4/2014 10:55:01 PM reply with quote send message to Dreisaiah Hundehutte Object to Post

Do you have experience with large protection dogs? The reason I ask is because, for a serious owner, I would recommend looking into the Cane Corso from good working kennels. They are a "farm" dog and some are more "farmy" than others. They were made for farm work including herding, protection, and hunting, but are also human-oriented dogs that want a job to do "for" its human owner. They are hardy, strong, very athletic, and have the innate territorial drive.

They aren't livestock guardians and I don't know the first thing about LGDs, but a good, stable Cane Corso is fine with other animals with a good human leader in its life. Some lines have more typical temperament which is reserved, aloof, but stable, but most lines, at least ones you'll find in the States, have dogs which are more affable. However, it all depends on the dog, and each litter can vary in temp as you probably know.

If the CC interests you whatsoever, let me know and I will be able to send you sites and breeders' names who produce working dogs who may know even better than I about which lines/kennel to choose from. The only thing I am unsure about is if you want to keep the dog outdoors. I am sure the Corso can handle it physically but I am unsure about mentally, simply because they are human oriented and desire companionship very much.
 SmokeJumper Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2014 8:42:26 AM reply with quote send message to SmokeJumper Kennel Object to Post

I'll look into them! Don't know much about the breed .... Ok, next to nothing. laugh :D

We are still about 8 years out from moving out there full time, so I've got time to research every suggestion. happy :)

Yes, hubby will want the dog outside.

Thank you!
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2014 2:20:09 AM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

Have you looked into Anatolian Shepherds at all? I met one at our rescue a bit back and fell in love and since then have been fallowing an Anatolian Shepherd rescue group and it seems a lot need homes.
 Little River Dog
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2014 9:33:55 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Dog Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I'm going to second Anatolians. My boy Orion was an excellent guardian and family member. He was great with my younger siblings and with our bird dogs. We had a big problem with coyotes on our land. They would harass the goats and chickens. Once we brought home Orion, we really never had another problem.

-Ande @ Little River

-----
Last edited by Little River Dog on 11/15/2014 9:34:48 AM
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/15/2014 10:27:09 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I have seen them on an LGD page I follow on Facebook. I'm liking the Kangal dogs too ... And Maremmas and Pyrs. laugh :D

Thank you!
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
12/3/2014 8:07:26 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

Pyrs are my best suggestion. I've only really been around working aussies, acd and pyrs.

For protection I've been around Rotts, GSDs and a Malinois - and would suggest the Rott for a family. Love the other two breeds as well. All 3 breeds were worked on a ranch near a border, there were less incidents with the Rott on duty, but he'd also sit in my lap, lick my face and go check out the livestock. The Malinois had to be kept away from the livestock ( I don't know if this is a breed or dog specific trait).

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.