Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Difficulty with handlers?
 Peace Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/21/2014 4:55:10 PM reply with quote send message to Peace Kennels Object to Post   

I'm returning from a two-year hiatus and I've been testing a dog in the ring (not fully sessioned in case it matters, I'm just playing around with him) and I can't help but notice how much more difficult it is to get the top handlers on the judge's list.

It used to go by what the other competitors of the same breed have chosen (example: if a male and female dog of your same breed both already have Roxanne Leatherwood, then she's booked and you have to move to the next available one). But now the top several handlers aren't available in shows with no dogs entered for my breed.

Why is that? How is handler availability determined now?
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2014 6:34:38 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Its probably because your dog isn't sessioned all the way. Some handlers will not take dogs under a certain condition or number in any of the 4 training categories.
 Peace Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2014 6:50:56 PM reply with quote send message to Peace Kennels Object to Post

Really? o:
I dug through the showing/handler portion of the FAQ and still had no idea that was a rule. Guess I'll have to keep sessioning him up.

Definitely good to know, thanks!
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2014 8:20:02 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

You have also noticed some judges prefer owners to handle the dog, right? Some also prefer males over females and vice versa. happy :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/21/2014 8:31:19 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Peace, what a cool banner you have there!

And the missing handlers would most likely be because of the unprepared dogs (sessions). The top handlers will not take dogs that are not trained, groomed, fit, and conditioned. The higher their standing, the more particular they are.

Welcome back!
 swale
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2014 10:16:48 PM reply with quote send message to swale Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

This is in the FAQ under the "Using Handlers" heading.

www.showdog.com/help/topic.aspx?id=89

"If your dog's condition is too low, you may not be able to choose the handler you want. Top handlers will not handle a dog in poor condition (includes Show Obedience, Muscle Tone, Condition, Coat Condition) and these handlers will not appear in the list of handlers to select for that dog until their condition is high enough."

-----
Last edited by swale on 10/21/2014 10:19:25 PM
 Clay Creek Falls
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2014 11:06:41 PM reply with quote send message to Clay Creek Falls Object to Post

Oh wow I had no idea about these changes either XD thank you so much for clearing this up happy :)

Also where does it say that a Judge prefers the owner as a handler? Is it on the same page where you select a handler? I haven't been able to find it

Lindsey
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2014 1:17:50 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Click on the judge's name in the show entry page, or at the upper left corner of your screen under "Tools & Stats" then "Judge List". happy :)
 Dream What May
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/22/2014 4:53:16 AM reply with quote send message to Dream What May Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Clay Creek Falls
Oh wow I had no idea about these changes either XD thank you so much for clearing this up happy :)

Also where does it say that a Judge prefers the owner as a handler? Is it on the same page where you select a handler? I haven't been able to find it

Lindsey

Click on the judges name for the show you want to enter, there is a little "blurb" about the judges likes/dislikes and requirements.

with a family account and multiple breeds in each kennel, it's nice that i don't always have to beat the rush to get the best handler. happy :).

Rachel, Bruce Bass, George Hunter,& Rosevelt B are the 4 i can remember off the top of my head that prefer the owner.

-----
Last edited by Dream What May on 10/22/2014 4:56:36 AM
 Peace Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/22/2014 6:07:44 PM reply with quote send message to Peace Kennels Object to Post

posted by Treestand Kennel
You have also noticed some judges prefer owners to handle the dog, right? Some also prefer males over females and vice versa. happy :)
I have noticed this, I'm very excited about it. Definitely means less work when you're running multiple accounts with lots of dogs in the ring.

Thanks for all the help everyone. happy :)

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.