Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Best of Winners
 Scrapinator
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/8/2014 7:44:59 AM reply with quote send message to Scrapinator Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

One variable I don't see play out in the game is the Best of Winners phenomenon. Often when one sex has a major in the classes, but the opposite sex doesn't have a major, the judge will award Best of Winners to the Winners Dog/Winners Bitch that did not have the major in order to award the points. Has this been considered or discussed?

An example is a show I was in today. My male was the only class male, so got winners dog. The winners bitch got a four point major and the male got nothing. In most shows I've seen, the judge might have given the male the BOW so he could share the bitch points.

-----
Last edited by Scrapinator on 11/8/2014 4:06:53 PM
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2014 8:59:16 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

Are u saying a judge gives the best of winners place to the one dog who got less points? If so I don't see why that would or should happen, the best of winners place should go the the better dog not the one who needs more points. That's the whole point of shows.
Or have I misunderstood you?
 GaylanStudio4
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/8/2014 10:41:12 AM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio4 Object to Post

Admittedly, I haven't been to a real dog show for some time and I certainly wouldn't deny that this happens. The whole thing with real shows is based on one man's or woman's opinion so who's to say what was in the judge's mind.

I really suspect that what happens is that in the judges opinion, both WD and WB were fairly close and the BoW could have gone either way. The judge may very well have taken the no points status into consideration. I don't believe that it would happen if there was a clear difference between the WD and WB.
 Scrapinator
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2014 4:04:49 PM reply with quote send message to Scrapinator Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

It is a way for the judge to give the points to both the Winners Dog and Winners Bitch. If the Winners Bitch was a three point major, but the Winners Dog wasn't, giving Best of Winners to the dog does not mean that the Winners Bitch doesn't get the three points, but just means that they both get the three points.

You are correct, it is when Winners Dog and Winners Bitch are both good examples of the breed. A judge wouldn't do it, if he didn't think the "other" dog deserved the points.

-----
Last edited by Scrapinator on 11/8/2014 4:06:07 PM

-----
Last edited by Scrapinator on 11/8/2014 4:06:28 PM
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/8/2014 6:27:00 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I show in AKC frequently, and yes, this does happen.. however here in the game (and should be always in RL in my opinion) the best of WD/WB should be BOW.
I understand the concept on sharing the points with the other sex, especially if majors. However, I feel if my dog is more worthy of the BOW position, I should take it whether there were points in the opposite sex or not. I like in SD that it is completely unbiased and BOW always goes to the better dog.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/9/2014 10:28:18 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I would agree that the best dog should win regardless, however perhaps there is some wiggle room . . .

For example, if the lesser of the winners is only the lesser because of a juging bias.

For example:
The WD is only better because of a dog vs bitch bias with the judge, then he might give the bitch the same points by giving her BoW.

The WB is only better because she has really great feet and the judge has thing about feet, while the WD has a really good forequarter but the judge is just 'normal' there.

Basically, it's just a matter of putting aside some of the judges biases.

I'm not sure of the programming effort or the payoff in the end, but it's worth some consideration.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.