Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 26
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Puppy name ideas - would love your votes!
 Dalkeith
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/12/2015 5:59:17 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post   

I'm picking up my 2nd Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy (a male) in less than 2 weeks and I am still unsure about what I'd like to call him happy :)

I currently have a 16 month old RR called "Tonks"

(which is from Harry Potter - one of my favourite book series when I was growing up).

Obviously I will wait til I have pup home before I see which name suits him best.

The current list includes:

Emmett
Dylan
Maleeke
Kenai
Denali

I'd love for everyone to vote which name/s they like best! :P

Some background behind the names:

"Emmett" is a character from the Twilight series - another favourite series of mine! (That way both my dogs would be named after favourite series)

"Maleeke" is a character from E.R (an old TV series in the 90's) that I like the sound of happy :) (it also has many different spelling options)

"Kenai" is from the Brother Bear (Disney) movie - and is one of my fave movies as I love all things to do with native American Indian tribes and culture.

"Denali" is also another character from Brother Bear but it is also the name of a town/village in the Twilight series (so I doubly like this name!)

"Dylan" is a name I've always liked - and it is also a character from the "Rugrats" a kids TV program I grew up with in the 90's. Dylan is Tommy Pickles younger brother. Which I like as this pup will be "like a little brother" to my current boy Tonks. happy :)

And for those that are interested, this pup will actually be Tonks' 'nephew' - his older sister was mated to an outside stud.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2015 6:29:06 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I like Kenai and then Emmett happy :)

Jasper is always a good one too! wink ;)
 Quileute Legends
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2015 7:42:11 PM reply with quote send message to Quileute Legends Object to Post

Thank you for your vote laugh :D

(I don't mind the name Jasper, as it is from Twilight - but I have way too many patients at work called jasper and I don't like 'common' or 'popular' names lol)

(Im a vet nurse)
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2015 9:04:24 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

Denali has always been a favorite name of mine, it's also a mountain range
 Champions-true-kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2015 11:23:05 PM reply with quote send message to Champions-true-kennel Object to Post

My votes with kenai, i love that movie! Thats just so perfect For an RR pup! Congrats on your new addition! =)
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 6:15:47 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

I really like Dylan for a RR.
However Kenai is awesome happy :) I've been planning to name my next male dog Koda for some time happy :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/13/2015 12:55:31 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

There's some really cool 'authentic' names here, with pronunciations:

afrikannames.com/find-names/dog-names/

Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 1:02:27 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

That's why I didn't name my hound Jasper ... I went with Calvin. Lol
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 3:38:03 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Calvin is such a handsome name happy :)

I'm trying to avoid African themed names - as every 2nd person who has a RR names their dog with an African name lol.

Keep the votes coming! happy :)
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 6:49:39 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Fits him, perfectly. happy :)
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 7:07:31 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

He's just gorgeous!

(What did they destroy in the back of the photo? lol!)

Would love more votes!

Dalkeith
(posting from my other kennel)
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
1/13/2015 7:10:23 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

This is my beautiful 16 month old "Tonks" pretending to be human:

Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 4:49:19 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I love it!!

Oops, didn't realize that was in the background ... It's a deer head. lol
 GraceInGlory
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/15/2015 9:41:14 AM reply with quote send message to GraceInGlory Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I think they're all great names, but something about Dylan seems perfect for a RR!

ETA - I liked Rugrats when I was little too. LOL

-----
Last edited by GraceInGlory on 1/15/2015 9:42:09 AM
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
1/17/2015 3:15:23 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Only 6 days to go before I bring pup home - keep your votes coming happy :)
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
1/17/2015 11:24:48 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

I like Maleeke, it's rather unique.

Some names that I really like are:

Keo
Axle
Jagger
Lex
Zanza
Zenith
Zion

well there's tons more, but I'll stop there. Don't want to hijack your thread with a super long list. razz :p
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
1/18/2015 2:35:29 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

Thanks for the extra suggestions happy :)

I like the current list that I have but also interested to hear any name suggestions that are to do with birds, as the pup I have picked out has a chest marking in the shape of a bird flying happy :)

Will add pictures soon happy :)

We pick him up at 9am on Saturday laugh :D

Dalkeith (posting from my other kennel)
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
1/18/2015 3:54:09 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Alright you asked for it wink ;) here's my favorite bird related names:

Aviary
Kestrel
Zenith (greater heights)
Falcon
Falon
Deryn
Lonan
Corbin
Talon
Altairian (of Avian kind)
Efron
Caenatus (fly sky high)
 CS Riverflow
Basic User

Basic User
1/18/2015 10:55:58 AM reply with quote send message to CS Riverflow Object to Post

Congrats on the new family member!

Bird related names (with other connections as I think of them)

Tiercel
Merlin (also wizard of course)
Peregrine (also a hobbit in Lord of the Rings)
Jess
Hoatzin
Drongo (many African)
Bateleur (African)
Bubo (species name for owl, also from Clash of the Titans)

There are tons of species names that might work for you...do you have any "rules" for your dog names? I personally prefer two syllables or less, or I end up calling them a nickname anyway, and there's some sounds that I don't like starting a name with-like No!

Good luck and hope to see pictures!
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
1/19/2015 5:15:12 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

Thanks so much for your name suggestions - I love hearing everyones ideas happy :)

My main rules with names are that:
- it has to be 'different' (unique)
- one or two syllables preferably

I also thought of a new one today:

'Quil'

Which I really like - as it is related to a bird, and it is also a character name in Twilight (One of Jacob Blacks' mates) AND it is also short for 'Quileutes' which is the tribe of Native Americans in the film happy :)

What do you guys think?

Oh - and here is a pic if that helps wink ;)

A pic of 'new puppy' (as Ive been calling him so far lol) and myself. His litter identification is Red Neon Turquoise. (colour of his ID collars)

And a pic showing his 'bird in flight' chest marking happy :)

And a pic of his ridge happy :)

His litter 'theme' for their registered names are all related to Robin Williams (RIP) as his breeder was a huge fan.
 BlackFrost
Basic User

Basic User
1/19/2015 6:37:01 AM reply with quote send message to BlackFrost Object to Post

I really liked Kenai, actually, but here's a few other native american suggestions:

Quidel means "burning torch" in Mapuche
Wayra means "wind" in Quechua
Chatan means 'hawk' in Lakota
Tarak means 'star' in Apache
Viho means 'chief' in Cheyenne
Ahanu means 'he laughs' in Algonquin
Atsa means 'eagle' in Navajo
Kitchi means 'brave' in Cree/Algonquin
Koda means 'friend' in Dakota Sioux
Paytah means 'fire' in Sioux
Takoda means 'friend' in Sioux (fav name of mine)
Zitkala means 'bird' in Dakota
Cheveyo means 'spirit warrior' in Hopi
Kwahu means 'eagle' in Hopi
Migisi means 'eagle' in Chippewa

Hope that helps your inspiration - beautiful pup, good luck with him!

Replies in this thread : 26
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.