Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Can some one give me the low down in Breeding lol
 Grandeur Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/17/2015 5:50:30 AM reply with quote send message to Grandeur Kennels Object to Post   

I need a bit of help to point me in the right direction.
How do I breed to improve stats?
Let's say if a bitch has 9.5 head
Do I breed her with a male with a 9.8, 10, 10.5 head?
Is there a strategy to it or is it just luck of the draw.
Also What should I be looking for in a stud?
 Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
1/17/2015 9:35:14 AM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Your best bet is to kennel stalk your breeds..
In the help center it says the closer the stats are the better. So continually breeding 10.5 to a 10.5 for 2or3 gens will get you a stronger 10.4 then if you bred a 10.5 to a 10.3. That being said, other factors always come into play, so ithen it becomes luck of the draw, for the next generation.

-----
Last edited by Studio Dogs on 1/18/2015 9:29:09 AM

Basic User

Basic User
1/17/2015 12:59:05 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Well, I'd be inclined to breed that 9.5 to something as close to a 10 as possible 9.6 to 10.1 or there about, always moving toward 10. I wouldn't so much recommend pairing that 9.5 to a 10.5 though because of the larger gap.

The thing is, you've got 10 traits to think about and you don't want to lose too much ground on other traits trying to raise one.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
1/17/2015 3:00:27 PM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

posted by Grandeur Kennels
I need a bit of help to point me in the right direction.
How do I breed to improve stats?
Let's say if a bitch has 9.5 head
Do I breed her with a male with a 9.8, 10, 10.5 head?
Is there a strategy to it or is it just luck of the draw.
Also What should I be looking for in a stud?

There are essentially 2 factors in breeding distance to 10.0 and variability. Breeding a 9.5 to a 9.5 will give you the least variability (most pups should be between 9.6-9.4) but won't have much effect on bring it closer to 10.0; where as breeding a 9.5 to a 10.0 will do the most to bring it closer to a 10.0 but will also increase the variability (most pups should be 9.8-9.2). Finally breeding a 9.5 to 10.5 will have little effect on bring it closer to 10.0 and have high variability (pups could be anywhere from 9.1-10.9).

Also I will mention that ancestors to the dogs you are breeding have a large effect on the variability as well, so a 9.8 whose parents are also 9.8 may be a better choice than a 10.0 with a parent that has a 10.4 .

grif,

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing