Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Contemplating new dog.
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/25/2015 2:07:17 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post   

As the title goes I am thinking about getting another dog to show. I currently have Chow Chows (both males 13 and 11), but don't think I will make the breed my next dog (although I have no intent on ever leaving the breed). I was at the Bahamas Kennel Club Dog Show without a dog competing and I fell so out of place. I was set to handle a dog this year like I have done previous years since I retired my Chows, but it didn't go as hoped. I was thinking of getting a small breed that is easy to travel with, but something that is sturdy. Minimal to moderate grooming. I would like to travel outside of the Bahamas and compete in shows over seas such as Florida and other southern states, Bermuda, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Barbados and a few other neighboring countries. So I don't want to be dragging along a bag with a bunch of this and that. I was leaning towards Pugs but was a bit unsure. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
 Rosa Nera
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2015 2:13:45 PM reply with quote send message to Rosa Nera Object to Post

Boston Terrier was the first dog that came to my mind when I read your description.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2015 4:04:25 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

If you are contemplating flying to shows I'd steer clear of any stub-nosed breeds that won't travel well or could be adversely affected by time spent in travel boxes on the tarmac if shipped in the hold.
Basenjis, Shiba Inu's, Scipperke, Toy Terrier, Daxies, Corgi, Chinese crested, Whippet might be possibles
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
3/25/2015 7:13:20 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

Border Terrier, Italian Greyhound, Basenji, Whippet, Dachshunds all come to mind!
I know there are plenty more too! Depends on what kind of temperament and looks you want
 Steph
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2015 1:59:22 AM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

Papillon
 GraceInGlory
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/26/2015 11:40:14 AM reply with quote send message to GraceInGlory Object to Post

If you're planning on doing lots of flying I would definitely go with something small that fits under an airplane seat as carry-on. (Whippets and Basenjis might be a tight fit.) My Cairn's are just small enough to go underseat.

I second Border terriers, although their coats do take a bit of upkeep. If you want even less grooming, what about Beagle, MinPin or Parson Russell Terrier.

I hadn't thought about hazards of flying with brachycephalic breeds, certainly something you'd want to look into... But I like French Bulldogs and Pugs too. happy :)
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2015 11:47:08 AM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

If you are planning to fly, stay away from Brachycephalic breeds ... a lot of airlines have an embargo on them. I agree with Border terrier or if you are into the "spitz" look then Schiperke or Pom.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2015 5:01:05 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Most of the coated terrier breeds need hand-stripping or sculpting. Most Toy breeds need coat preparation (except Smooth Chi's). If you want a wash 'n' go breed steer clear of anything that has a double coat, needs stripping or a sculptured trim. Literally you can travel with a dry or wipe on, wipe off shampoo, polishing cloth and baby wipes if you go for a smooth coated breed.
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2015 6:21:57 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

Grooming up keep shouldn't be that much of an issue, I have Chows so I am not afraid of hair. However, like I said low to moderate up keep. Bathing, brushing and a little trimming here and there is pretty good by me. I am mostly looking for a breed that I can do most of the prep work at home, then at the show its mostly just brushing and don't have to worry about a bath unless there is an accident. I am trying to avoid high maintenance breeds like the Shih Tzu and Poodle. I thought about a Miniature Schnauzer before, however I have very little experience with stripping, so I was going to steer clear wire coats. I am into the Spitz look Reflections, not sure how sturdy is the Pomeranian and the American Eskimo Dog isn't recognized under FCI last I checked (Cuba and Dominican Republic).
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2015 6:29:06 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

Steph,... I thought about the Papillon as well. Small, moderate grooming, not sure how sturdy but they are a nice breed.
 Zacarati
Basic User

Basic User
3/26/2015 7:17:50 PM reply with quote send message to Zacarati Object to Post

Look into Toy Manchesters. Literally no grooming and larger than life personality. Easy travelers. Their wonderful dogs.
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2015 1:46:02 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

Don't forget miniature pinschers! happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2015 1:38:50 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

German Spitz (Klein and Mittel) might be worth considering (like big Poms lol) but without the sculpting, and smaller entries. Definately FCI, not sure about AKC.
 S. B. G. Chow Chows
Basic User

Basic User
3/27/2015 9:06:13 PM reply with quote send message to S. B. G. Chow Chows Object to Post

Well the president of the BKC breeds Rottweilers and Miniature Pinschers and usually have her dogs with a handler in the states. I never really thought about Min Pins like that but they are pretty eye catching. I guess next time we meet, i will have a talk with her and see exactly how they are.

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.