Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : Picking handlers
 Ostfeld
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/12/2015 2:35:18 AM reply with quote send message to Ostfeld Object to Post   

When choosing handlers do you pick the name at the top of the judges list or the one with the highest number next to it or is it something else? I have dogs in my kennel in the top 10% sop in 1 breed that I can't finish and I think THE top sop in another breed and I can't get points on them. They are fully sessioned.
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2015 3:03:41 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Always pick the handlers with the lowest numbers, regardless of how political the judge is. As long as a handlers number isn't higher than 40 it's possible to win with them, but it really depends on the dog. Hope that helps. happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2015 5:57:21 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Sometimes the handlers with the lowest numbers next to them in that particular judges list may already be booked. Check that judges particular 'politics' re handlers by clicking on the judges name. If it says the judge isn't particularly political you can sometimes employ a handler that isn't on their list but is high ranked ie Maret Gentile, Ellen Shroeder, Roxanne Leatherwood etc and still get pointed (note in these cases you probably won't get a group placement but could get BOB if your dogs stats are good)

NB.Have you checked which traits your dog is strong in ie Forequarters 9.8 Head 10.2 and which it's low in ie coat 11.8 feet 12.0 and checked which traits the upcoming judges favour - it's no good entering under judge a if they give low priority to forequarters and head but very high priority to coat and feet and your dog doesn't have strength in the traits they favour.

Hope that helps.
 Ostfeld
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2015 4:06:33 PM reply with quote send message to Ostfeld Object to Post

Thank you both, seems I have been literally barking up the wrong tree for the past month, wish id asked sooner now. I did try looking on the help pages but it didn't really explain it properly.

Thanks again happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2015 4:37:15 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Take Divergent (Sibe) - has good coat and gait so you want a judge who puts coat and gait very high - my suggestions would be to try

Sarah Brush with Veronica Sheidt handling
or
Michelle Hamilton with Marisa Feagin handling
 Grandeur Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2015 4:46:09 PM reply with quote send message to Grandeur Kennels Object to Post

Also some handlers are not available to be picked until your dog has had a bit of experience showing happy :)
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
4/12/2015 5:46:35 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

posted by Grandeur Kennels
Also some handlers are not available to be picked until your dog has had a bit of experience showing happy :)
Really? I've never heard of that before?

I didn't think it mattered how much 'experience' your dog has had showing, but it does matter how much they have been trained/conditioned etc in obedience, muscle tone and coat. But I thought this was a 'judge' thing - not a 'handler' thing. For instance if your dogs stats (Obedience, Muscle, Coat) are at 16 instead of 20 I know some judges won't allow you to enter.

I regularly enter dogs in shows that are only 24 days old and am able to pick whatever handler I want - and these dogs haven't been in a show yet ... (including Ellen, Roxanne, Reberol, Veronica, Bob, Kristen, Julie, Justin, Jene etc)
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2015 3:17:14 AM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

In correct experience has nothing to do with what judge or handler a dog can show under or with. It's all about show obedience for handlers, all the handlers will be willing to take your dog when it reaches 19 in across the board.

Dogs need to be to at least 10 across the board to show, but once there all judges are available with no further stipulations.

Experience impacts a dogs show performance significantly however, so it's key to build experience regardless.

Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2015 11:45:47 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

In my opinion and experience, a dogs 'experience' is irrelevant as long as they are adequately sessioned - ideally 20's across the board although depending on the competition lower numbers may be adequate. While experience is definitely a factor for real dogs it does not come into play on ShowDog.

When picking handlers from the judges list
* Lowest number is best - i.e. 1 = 1st, 2 = 2nd, etc.

The higher ranked handlers (1, 2, etc as above) will not take inadequately prepared dogs. This is a gradient - you might not be able to use Roxanne or Ellen but Veronica might be available. Once you have the numbers up higher, Ellen and Roxanne will accept your dog too.

Ostfeld
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2015 7:16:17 AM reply with quote send message to Ostfeld Object to Post

What am I doing wrong with this dog?www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13862523 He has the highest male SOP but I can't get any points on him sad :(
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2015 8:21:51 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

At first glance, it looks like you are choosing top handlers - but not handlers that the judge prefers.

Go to the results for a few shows and take a look at group results - you'll see the same handlers listed over and over.

For today's show you chose Ellen Schroeder - but when you look at the Results page for the show you can see at a glance Wilfredo prefers Maret Gentile, Jos Harter and Todd Brubaker.

Let me see if I can find a dog to enter and I'll do a screen shot to show which handlers are your best bet.
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2015 8:35:41 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

ok, here we go...

When you go to the Choose Handler screen - you want to look for the handlers that are highest on the judges preferred list. (You are looking for the lowest numbers)

So your best choices for this judge are Julie Patton, Justin Moyer, Jene Moak

*Remember this holds true for judges that WANT to see handlers, it does not apply to judges who prefer Owner/Handlers.
There is also SUPPOSED to be a difference for judges who are Very Political (MUST follow the list) - vs Not Very Political vs Not Overtly Political - but I'm not really sure that that aspect really works??
 Ostfeld
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2015 8:42:24 AM reply with quote send message to Ostfeld Object to Post

Ok thanks, so I must stick to the list. Seems like the only way to do it is to sit up all night and enter shows as soon as they appear on the shows to enter list?
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2015 9:08:32 AM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

I don't think you have to enter as soon as the show posts, but how you do entries may need to be tweaked...

If you are dealing with a breed that has a high number of entries each day then you may need to look at shows a few days out - so today I am doing entries for next week - just tweak your routine.

ALSO if you are dealing with a highly competitive breed you will need to make sure you are matching your dog's best traits to the judge who prefers those traits. Just choosing a good handler won't be enough.

SmokeJumper Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
4/27/2015 4:30:05 PM reply with quote send message to SmokeJumper Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I also wanted to point out there are certain judges who prefer the owners to handle the dog. This means you enter the dog but do not assign it a handler. You can see the judge's preferences by clicking on their name.

I only bring this up, as I see you are entered in a Bruce Bass show tomorrow and he prefers the owner to handle the dog.

-----
Last edited by SmokeJumper Kennel on 4/27/2015 4:30:46 PM
 Ostfeld
Basic User

Basic User
4/28/2015 3:04:41 AM reply with quote send message to Ostfeld Object to Post

Haha today he has gone from nothing to 2nd in Show! Fingers crossed I've got it sussed now. Thanks all
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/28/2015 3:05:51 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Good luck!

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.