Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Looking To Join A New Breed
 Painted Romance
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/28/2015 12:09:08 PM reply with quote send message to Painted Romance Object to Post   

I am currently getting into Keeshonds and am just getting out of Am Staffs and Cane Corsos for various reasons and am looking for a new breed. Any suggestions? I would like a breed that I can improve and that isn't too competitive. I prefer not to source breed. Thank you in advance can't wait to see your suggestions.
 Gypsy Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/28/2015 12:42:38 PM reply with quote send message to Gypsy Wind Kennels Object to Post

Damn, my suggestions is usually keeshonds, but you've got it covered. Norweigan Buhunds are a decent choice too. Another keeshond breeder and I are both over there - there's about 4 of us active and we're taking some group placements even.

And if you need any keeshond help, let me know or post on our community thread and we'll get it done happy :)
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
4/28/2015 1:12:11 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I vote for Bloodhounds or Otterhounds (because I have them and more people would be nice!) or if you want to join a rarer breed, how about any of the Hungarian breeds or Bergamasco?
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
4/28/2015 2:04:27 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

If you go to the SD Chronicle - Breed Directory page - you can see which breeds might appreciate the help.

www.sdchronicle.com/breed-directory.html

I don't have ALL of the numbers filled in for ALL of the groups - but on the tables that aren't complete I did fill in the # of stud dogs. (Usually, if you see less than 10 stud dogs it means there aren't very many breeders/dogs.)

As a player looking for a new breed, I would be interested in knowing what information you might like to see added to the page? (What info would you find useful in deciding which breed to pursue?)
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
4/28/2015 7:39:11 PM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

I can help you get set up in Kooikerhondje (only 2 active kennels) or Anatolians, if you want. Not very competitive but enough dogs available for majors, and dogs occasionally get group placements in both. Also enough diversity in available lines that inbreeding is not a problem.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
4/29/2015 1:58:00 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

Norfolk Terriers could use more people. I know of 3 other kennels besides myself.

I took a group placement with one of my boys the other night. The litters for me have been around 4-6 puppies, I am showing a 92 and have a few others sessioning up now. They seem to session fairly quickly. The folks I have chatted with are nice. Plus there is a color breeding project if you want, and the color dogs aren't too far behind!

And you have all of the colors but Grizzle cropped, if you wanted to make color GPs for your dogs. laugh :D

Good luck in your search!

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.