Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : OK, now I'm confused about points
 Gymea
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/21/2015 4:28:38 AM reply with quote send message to Gymea Object to Post   

Some time back a dog of mine (in another kennel) beat the only other 2 of its breed, then won best in group. To me should have won 2 points. but was given 5, as it beat others in group. Great!

Now I have a dog (in another kennel) that has beat the small number of its breed (less than 5), won group and won Best in show (228 dogs in the show) - and she only gets 3 points.

Can someone please explain this to me?
 Gymea
Basic User

Basic User
5/21/2015 4:29:49 AM reply with quote send message to Gymea Object to Post

Is it perhaps that the 2nd dog is a Champion while the first dog wasn't?
 CS Astronomical
Basic User

Basic User
5/21/2015 5:03:54 AM reply with quote send message to CS Astronomical Object to Post

I think it is that they only get the maximum number of points that were available in the breeds the dog beat. So if no breed entered had more than 3 points available, that's what the dog would get.
 Gymea
Basic User

Basic User
5/21/2015 5:37:07 AM reply with quote send message to Gymea Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

OK. This is 21/5 Fenland show www.showdog.com/shows/show_results.aspx?show=Fenland%20Festival%20124)

The Australian Cattle Dog winner got 5 points.

If CS Astronomical is right, why doesn't the Best In Show get 5 points? What don't I understand?

-----
Last edited by Gymea on 5/21/2015 5:40:54 AM
 Whisky Run
Basic User

Basic User
5/21/2015 6:53:19 AM reply with quote send message to Whisky Run Object to Post

The Best in Show dog (the Sealy) was already a finished CH. Points from the group are only for championship points - not grand champion points.

(Or maybe I misunderstood the question?)
 Topaz Fields
Basic User

Basic User
5/21/2015 12:15:57 PM reply with quote send message to Topaz Fields Object to Post

OP, I think you are confusing GC points and CH points. A dog will only receive GC points for beating others of its breed, while a dog can receive CH for beating dogs of other breeds.

So, if a CH dog beats three of its own breed and takes BIS, it would only receive 3 GC points. If a dog that isn't a champion yet goes BIS, it would likely get 5 CH points (assuming that at least one breed at the show had enough dogs competing to allow for 5 CH points) even if there were no other dogs of its breed in the show.

I hope that makes sense? I'm terrible at explaining these things in print.
 Gymea
Basic User

Basic User
5/21/2015 5:08:59 PM reply with quote send message to Gymea Object to Post

Thank you Whisky and Topaz. Your answers are great and now I understand. Don't like it much but understand.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
In the American Kennel Club, a dog needs 15 points to become a Champion, with each win gaining anywhere from zero to five points depending on the number of dogs competing and the area where the show is held.