Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 17

Author Topic : What IS the rule regarding retired dogs?
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

System.__ComObject Forum Moderator
7/3/2015 6:30:47 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post   

It's been so long since I've done anything with it that I completely forgot.

I seem to recall allowing them in some specialties?
 rhondacline
Basic User

Basic User
7/3/2015 9:23:29 PM reply with quote send message to rhondacline Object to Post

as far as I have ever been aware 'Retirement Couch' dogs were only allowed to compete in Obedience.

"These dogs are spayed and neutered and will not be able to show or breed again. However, dogs on your retirement couch can compete in Obedience events. "

I know that over the years I have seen plenty of "Veterans" (120+) in the specialties - but I guess I never looked at the individual dogs to see if they were altered or not?

Studio Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
7/3/2015 10:36:01 PM reply with quote send message to Studio Dogs Object to Post

in RL, it depends on: the breed and age.

on SD, if old enough to still compete in specialties the can.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
7/4/2015 12:49:35 PM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

acordng to the help centre they can be shown in odedance and that is.
could a dog was retired that had qualified for the national still be entered im not sure.

to be honist i prefured it like that as other wise as they dont count towards the dog limit if they are allowed to be shown a user could have loads of retired dogs as a show team to advoide going over 30 dogs but still take up handlers

www.showdog.com/help/topic.aspx?id=38

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 7/4/2015 12:50:01 PM

-----
Last edited by PPvallhunds on 7/4/2015 12:51:18 PM
 Oakwood Creek
Basic User

Basic User
7/4/2015 4:45:32 PM reply with quote send message to Oakwood Creek Object to Post

Strangely enough up until very recently (not sure of exact date) retired dogs were shown in conformation and placed, and counted towards numbers.

Then the subject came up for discussion on a couple of threads and certain kennels owned up to showing their retired dogs. This didn't get the best of reception in some areas.

Lately retired dogs entered in conformation shows have all been DNP and have not counted towards the numbers.

In the UK we are allowed to show altered dogs and they compete against entire animals on equal footing. I understand this isn't allowed in the US.

Personally I've retired dogs as puppies when I knew they weren't going to be bred from but have kept them to show to make up numbers. Since they started not to count and DNP I've FH'd them all. Shame because I was quite fond of some of them.
 RockBottomHounds
Basic User

Basic User
7/4/2015 4:47:02 PM reply with quote send message to RockBottomHounds Object to Post

It was discussed on this thread
www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=421113
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
7/4/2015 6:08:59 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Retired dogs have never been supposed to be able to be shown in regular classes. That's why they get the "perks" of not being counted toward your dog limit. It was intended to be a way to memorialize good winners and champs in your kennel so you didn't have to FH them.

It was a glitch that they started to be able to be entered and placed in normal shows- this glitch has been fixed and brought back to the way it always was, and the way it was intended.

Jeff- I'm pretty sure the rule has always been retired altered dogs could not be entered at all. They might have been allowed in the SDWC if previously qualified.

Dogs that just aged out but were left whole could be shown in some specialties under veterans and in the SDWC
 Suggestion
Basic User

Basic User
7/4/2015 7:44:02 PM reply with quote send message to Suggestion Object to Post

I may be wrong, but in the US I believe altered dogs can be shown in the veteran class.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
7/5/2015 2:58:10 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

There is a current thread on RL show dogs forum where a SD'er says she's been showing an Altered bitch (Sheltie) and got a group placement. I'm not sure what Country or at what level but I think a lot of countries now allow altered dogs to be shown.

Personally I entered altered dogs on SD and did well with them, I liked that 'glitch'.
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/6/2015 9:39:42 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

^
And you abused that glitch.
One cannot evaluate breeding stock if it will not breed.

Thanks Admin for finally fixing it.
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2015 1:07:57 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

posted by mournebrake
There is a current thread on RL show dogs forum where a SD'er says she's been showing an Altered bitch (Sheltie) and got a group placement. I'm not sure what Country or at what level but I think a lot of countries now allow altered dogs to be shown.

UKC in the USA has altered conformation classes. I think it's a fairly new thing, but I'm not the expert on this.
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2015 9:42:54 AM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Super Uber Kennels
UKC in the USA has altered conformation classes. I think it's a fairly new thing, but I'm not the expert on this.
Altered classes will follow the completion of the judging of the breed's regular classes...
- res.ukcdogs.com/pdf/2011ConformationRulebookInsert.pdf

aka they do not compete together, it's a totally separate title from the regular classes and they hold separate group and BIS judging.

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 7/7/2015 9:43:27 AM
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2015 1:00:55 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

posted by Kievan Kennels
^
And you abused that glitch.

For Dogs sake Kievan let it drop, don't bring your beef with me onto yet another thread!!

If you can't be nicer in your responses to my replies please don't bother?

Anyway I thought you had emptied your kennel, given away all your money and left the game? Are you back to play, or just waiting to leap on my posts as before?
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2015 11:47:09 PM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I still play.

Also, mournebrake, I know the world seems like it revolves around you, but really it doesn't, I promise. Also, please don't message me rudely and then block me so I can't defend myself. Thank you.

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 7/7/2015 11:52:04 PM

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 7/7/2015 11:58:38 PM
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2015 12:47:59 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Kievan Kennels
Altered classes will follow the completion of the judging of the breed's regular classes...
- res.ukcdogs.com/pdf/2011ConformationRulebookInsert.pdf

aka they do not compete together, it's a totally separate title from the regular classes and they hold separate group and BIS judging.

-----
Last edited by Kievan Kennels on 7/7/2015 9:43:27 AM

I thought that would be obvious, considering that conformation judges potential breeding stock.

Of course, showdog is a game (as I was politely reminded about in a different post) and, when you consider that all the dogs on this game are not real (and will therefore not produce RL puppies), does it really matter, if an altered dog is competing against intact dogs?

-----
Last edited by Super Uber Kennels on 7/8/2015 12:48:41 AM
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2015 1:00:05 AM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Of course, showdog is a game (as I was politely reminded about in a different post) and, when you consider that all the dogs on this game are not real (and will therefore not produce RL puppies), does it really matter, if an altered dog is competing against intact dogs?

-----
Last edited by Super Uber Kennels on 7/8/2015 12:48:41 AM

It does if owners of altered dogs get special accommodations that owners of intact dogs do not- in this case, altered dogs don't count against kennel limits.

And while SD is a game, it is a simulation game- designed to simulate the sport of showing and breeding dogs in RL. In RL, intact dogs do not usually compete against altered dogs as the purpose of showing is to evaluate potential breeding stock.

Given there is no downside to keeping intact animals on SD as there is in RL, I don't see why dogs you want to show can't just be kept intact. Altered dogs were only introduced to begin with to allow people to keep sentimental favorites in their kennels without going over the limit- NOT to show the or do anything else with them.

If we were to enact the ability to show altered animals, I'd have to insist altered dogs start to be counted against the kennel limit.
 Kievan Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2015 9:38:00 AM reply with quote send message to Kievan Kennels Object to Post

Super Uber, not obvious for some as the glitch was used to compete with unaltered dogs.
Yes, this is a game but the semblance to the AKC is what I like about it.
As Lilliput pointed out, these dogs need to count since they would be shown. Also, it should be done like the UKC if implemented: separate shows, separate titles. All in all, seems like a lot of effort for a few dogs.
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2015 11:55:16 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

posted by Lilliput
If we were to enact the ability to show altered animals, I'd have to insist altered dogs start to be counted against the kennel limit.
I agree that this would make sense.

Replies in this thread : 17

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.