Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Repeat breedings
 Elusive Border Collies
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/29/2015 2:06:59 AM reply with quote send message to Elusive Border Collies Object to Post   

I have been toying with the idea of repeating some breedings where I got a lot of bad SS puppies and I started thinking about how that decision is made and I wanted to ask all you showdoggers your take on repeat breedings. Yay? Nay? Why?

I've never been a fan of repeat breeding and honestly I've only ever done it a few times. I ended up getting a high SOP BC from one of my litters but his SS was super low so I FHed him. I'm trying to find out if it's worth the time/space to repeat a few breedings in hopes of higher Sop/SS puppies. I linger at capacity most days...I just like puppies XD
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
8/29/2015 6:20:42 AM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

Heya happy :)

It really depends to be honest.

I've been on SD for nearly 10 years and have done a LOT of repeat matings in my time here.

You can get a whole heap of varying results:

a) you can get the same results as the first litter. So if the 1st litter was crap - often you will get a litter of the same level of crapiness lol

b) you can get worse than the first litter

c) You can get an AMAZING litter even if the first was a bit crappy.

d) Or you can get a completely WEIRD litter lol.

I have 2 of my Anatolians who have 'average' traits in Gait - and yet I have repeated the matings between them 5 times now and they just keep on throwing REALLY good Gaits (like 10.0, 10.1, 9.9 etc) when the two parents have 10.3 and 9.7 in Gait. Its really weird!

So at the end of the day - it's entirely up to you whether you choose to repeat a mating as the results are really random :/

The other thing I find a bit odd sometimes is when you choose to do a complete outcross mating. Sometimes I get REALLY good pups - as it seems like the 'new blood' throws in some unusual traits. Yet other times even breeding 2 of the top SOP dogs together who are completely unrelated can produce crap pups ... I don't get it lol.

But thats the whole joy of breeding - you never know what you're going to get happy :)
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2015 12:12:05 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I do repeats, quite often. Sometimes because I get stellar puppies the first litter and sometimes it's because I get a lack luster puppy but don't part with it.

I have done breedings where I keep a low SS or low SOP pup for breeding, who later goes on to produce extremely well, but I will do a repeat with it's parents and get an entirely different puppy who has show potential but can't produce to save my life.

I am not sure what factors in the game can make both of the litters so vastly different, but I suppose it's just like real life breeding, you can breed the same two dogs more than once and get different results each time.

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/30/2015 11:54:23 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I'll repeat if the previous results were good, if the previous results were less than I had expected, if I got good numbers but sprinkled around so that no individual was noteworthy (maybe they'll line up better next time).

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.