Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : RL Jr Handlers?
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/29/2015 11:03:56 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post   

Does anyone have experience with or as a junior handler in either AKC or UKC?
I got my first show prospect pup this year and just in time to start picking things up with her I found out I was pregnant (and have had a pretty difficult pregnancy thus far).
Anyway, ive know a young lady who volunteered and then worked for my vet clinic that really wants to jr handler and her own circumstances dont allow her to get a dog of her own right now. Id love to let her use my girl but from what ive heard with AKC the dog would need to be registered to an immediate family member of hers? Can she show out of juniors at 16 as a novice/"hired" handler? Any info appreciatedhappy :)
 Myths
Basic User

Basic User
8/29/2015 11:17:43 PM reply with quote send message to Myths Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Personally I don't have any experience as a Jr Handler / dog shows in general, but I have done a lot of research on it since I'm personally interested in junior handling as well. happy :) I'm still working on the getting a dog part but small details you know? XD

Anyway. From what I understand the dog has to be owned/co-owned by the Jr Handler and/or their immediate family. Therefore, I think the way to enable a Jr Handler to handle your dog would be to sign him/her on as a co-owner to the dog. I wouldn't take my word on it but I think that's how it would be if the Jr handler isn't associated with the dog through family directly.

Also, since juniors is about the showmanship of the handler I don't think she'd be able to be put on as a hired handler since that would imply that you are paying her and that would disqualify her from jr handling.

I know I'm not being very helpful but I tried lol.

-----
Last edited by Myths on 8/29/2015 11:26:45 PM
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2015 12:20:31 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

I just aged out of juniors and I can say that all that Myths said is correct.

If you would like more www.akc.org/events/junior-showmanship/ is the place to go
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
8/30/2015 10:55:14 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

In AKC Jrs must own or co-own the dog to show in juniors but can show in breed without ownership. In Canada no ownership is required.
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
8/31/2015 10:56:30 AM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

Thank you acclamation!
Are you aware if theres any special restrictions on her showing in breed or is she right up there with everyone else?
Ive already coown with the breeder and weve got a contract so as much as I trust her, I dont think adding her is diserable right now.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
8/31/2015 2:05:21 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

As far as her showing in breed, anyone can show a dog in breed. She doesnt have to have any relation to the owners.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The first obedience title is a CD, or "Companion Dog", which is earned through competition in the Novice obedience class.