Search

.com Forum · Off Topic Forum

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Barktober: Jack O' Lantern Hieroglyphics
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/28/2015 7:12:48 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post   

Welcome to Jack O' Lantern Hieroglyphics!
Please note that entries will not be accepted until October 4th.

This is a writing contest to see who can come up with the most interesting short story! I want to see creativity!

Contest begins accepting entries on October 4th. Entries will be stopped on November 4th.
Rules:
• You must stay on theme. Your story must have to do with autumn, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc - something related to autumn.
• I hate to be this nasty ol' teacher type, but I would like a story that's at the very least, 300 words. This is simply because it's not enjoyable at all to read a story that's 50 words long and doesn't really do much.
• I'll be honest - the longer you write it, the more likely I am to consider it as a winner. I want the winner to be a short that had substance and really caught my eye. Don't make it exceedingly long please, though. I have a lot of things I'll have to be judging so I can't read a 2,000 word short story xDD.
• I will judge your grammar, too. I'm an English and Communications Major so I am really picky about grammar. I won't be super critical, though. I may snicker at you wink ;) But it won't mean the difference between winning and not winning.
• Please don't post your entries on the forum!! PM them to me. I say this because with posting them here, there's a risk of plagiarism (not that I think anyone here WOULD do that, but I don't want anyone to risk theft of their creative property).

Judging criteria:
Length - if your story is 300 words or less, you probably won't have much chance for winning, simply because - as I said earlier - I want a story with substance.
Grammar - this is only a tiny tiny part of my grading. I am a person who loves excellent grammar so if you want to impress me, good grammar will get you so many brownie points happy :)
Theme - I will also judge how well you stay on theme. If you stray off theme or don't use the theme at all you will probably not be considered for winning either.

Prizes
All participants will receive a $50 payout for a show of their choice. Winner will receive $300 or a specialty show of their choice with full payouts. Note - there may be additional prizes added for runners-up if the funding proves enough happy :)

The winner's entry will also be posted on the forum (if they wish) so everyone can see what a marvelous writer they are!

To enter, please PM me your full short story with a title at the top. I will reply to let you know I received it. Then, come here and post "sent" and I will make sure your name is on the list. The reason I want you to post here is so that when I announce the winner, you'll see the new post pop into your "my posts" tab. happy :)

Participants:
n/a
 Dead Until Dark
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2015 2:18:30 PM reply with quote send message to Dead Until Dark Object to Post

If all agree it would be fun to see all entries posted up after a winner is picked!
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/29/2015 6:38:50 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

I agree!
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2015 8:08:02 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

I wanna see the entries too!
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/1/2015 8:06:21 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I hope everyone is having fun preparing their entries! I will be accepting them on the 4th (Sunday)! Be sure to follow the rules and guidelines happy :)

-----
Last edited by Little River Kennel on 10/1/2015 8:06:31 AM
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/3/2015 2:10:39 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Okay, you can all PM me your entries today if you have them ready!
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/4/2015 12:12:25 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

bump
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/7/2015 7:56:09 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

bumpx2
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2015 7:15:56 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

Have you gotten any entries yet?
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/9/2015 12:00:45 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Not yet!
 Wabi-Sabi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 5:05:33 PM reply with quote send message to Wabi-Sabi Kennels Object to Post

I'm working on it! I promise!
 Yippee Yahoo Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/9/2015 7:44:13 PM reply with quote send message to Yippee Yahoo Kennels Object to Post

I'm considering entering, if an idea strikes.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/10/2015 2:29:34 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

Awesome laugh :D
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/12/2015 9:02:30 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

BUMP, if you want to enter please comment acknowledging that you will be entering. You have until 11:59 tonight to confirm that you will be entering!
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/17/2015 9:30:06 PM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

bump
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/5/2015 8:12:22 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

I never got any entries, so even if you have one and just never sent it, this contest is closed so no one wins.

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler